Michael Fremer’s turntable and tonearm video

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Drew769, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Yes, you’re right. I was just contrasting the 10 to 20 grand option verses the 120+ grand silliness. It has taken me many years to get to the system I have now, and I’m sure that an equally good setup could be had for half, or less, than what I have into it. And what I have, by some standards, would barely be considered entry level audiophile. Whatever, for me it’s about the music and making it sound as good as possible within my budgetary constraints.

Just listening to Keith Jarret’s My song with a dram of Ardbeg single malt Scotch, and my wife is not even telling me to turn it down. That’s a Good Friday night.
    Cheers.

PopularChuck likes this.
  2. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Agree 100 percent

3. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Michael is using the Lynx Hilo A/D to digitize records. It’s about $2200 list price IIRC.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Lynx Hilo qualifies as reasonably good. :D

I do like how Michael's needledrops sound. The Lynx is able to capture the 3D and spatial nature of the sound that the phono and TT have.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

"insulting the guys system"

Good grief.

My stereo is far better than most on this forum. Way better. Yet, Hoffman would find the sound ordinary compared to his. As would a small fraction of members here who've simply pushed the limits much further. Fremer would tell me that no serious listening would be possible. Ouch! I. Am. So. Insulted!

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Clear as mud.

"Far better," or "way better," which is it? This sounds like a my dick is bigger than your dick statement. But once again, I'm probably miss reading your post.

No need for further clarification, as I'm prolly not intelligent enough to understand you writing style. Maybe it's the odd punctuation that's throwing me off.

SirMarc and Big Blue like this.
  7. Actually Fremer has a lot more class than to say something like that. Something to be learned from.

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Sigh.

He says stuff like that all the time.

We can't hold real conversations because so many are either (or both) searching for insults or else presuming the worst of others.

Finally, my whole point has been conveniently overlooked. We should all enjoy what we have AND at the same time dare to improve upon it. There is always better. Is that so bad?

timind likes this.
  9. What’s bad is you telling people their system sounds ‘dull’ without actually hearing it, and being pompous enough to proclaim your system is ‘far better than most’.

VQR, Uglyversal, timind and 1 other person like this.
  10. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

On the Tommy recording, the music itself sounds good, but holy moly is there a ton of surface noise on that LP. It's one thing when there is an occasional crackle and pop. This is so bad it seeps into the quieter passages which, on this recording, are not particularly quiet.

Perhaps not the best example to use of records not wearing out.

vwestlife and Big Blue like this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

Now that is a clear statement. And I appreciate it.

If this was your point all along though, it wasn't overlooked, it was missing in your posts.

12. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I've seen Michael Fremer insult people (pretty entertaining, actually, as usually his targets are asking for it), but I've never seen him insult someone's system.

He's no diplomat, but he respects gear that performs well regardless of price.

VQR, The FRiNgE, beowulf and 3 others like this.
  13. SoundDoctor

14. SoundDoctor

When MF emailed me the original AAA 100 list, there were quite a few titles out of print which I pointed out to him. He took out most of them. Not all, but most.

15. SoundDoctor

Most turntables, no matter how great, cannot achieve “perfection in vinyl.” Perfection in vinyl in their price range, yes. But not 100% perfection in vinyl. Only the 0.1% or less of turntables can do that. And he will be honest with his opinion -he may like a Technics SL-10R with SAT CF1-09 arm and OMA plinth better than the more expensive TechDAS Air Force One.

16. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Awesome. Honestly I don’t think it’s a big deal as Discogs makes pretty much everything avalible but some of this premium AAA stuff shoots up in price when it goes OOP.

SoundDoctor and patient_ot like this.
  17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the video and I'm looking forward to the classical follow up. I was surprised by the amount of wow I could hear on the needle drop. I'm not familiar with the song though.

18. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

My system is a streetwise thug that will kick other systems butt if insulted.

v

macster likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

All you need with these S shaped arms is a heavier headshell and optional balance weight. Should make the sound darker, smoother, richer. Works on the far cheaper Pioneer PLX 1000 so should be fine with a MC on the 1200G.

Doctor Fine likes this.
  20. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I noticed that too, and I'm not really familiar with the song either. Looks like an off-center pressing, which would cause the wow effect.

Big Blue likes this.
  21. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I have both a PLX-1000 and a Technics SL1210M5G, both heavily hot-rodded.
    Simply put, Fremer didn't set his Technics up correctly.
    The comparison is nice but deeply flawed for that reason.

22. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

It sounds pretty noisy to me.

23. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

For comparison, a Sound Tape Cartridge (an early, failed cassette tape format) that is almost 60 years old:

It's quarter-track 3.75 IPS on quarter-inch tape, so it's pretty low-end as far as vintage tape formats go.

But as the narrator says, "Tape, as you know, never wears out"!

hodgo likes this.
  24. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I have noticed that before on Mike's turntable. It looks a little 'unstable', if I could put it that way. It seems to me that there is a slight upwards movement when the platter rotates? Maybe he didn't have the time to properly centre the disc but the appearance of the record rotating like that would drive 'OCD me' bonkers :eek:!

25. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Isn't darker and richer on the same sentence a contradiction in terms? I presume you use darker as a quieter sound but to me it makes me think of muddy opaque sound, am I alone on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.