Michael Hutchence. Largely forgotten?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I've seen the Live Baby Live trailer before every movie screening I've attended for the last couple months. Not sure why they'd advertise a 1991 INXS concert film before Frozen II, but whatever...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. Acas

Acas Forum Resident

3. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Michael Hutchence would have turned 60 today. (January 22, 1960 - November 22, 1997).

4. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Agree, it was on the BBC here over xmas. Sad that it all went wrong from him. Seemed to have it all but everyone has their demons.

Interpolantics and Carlox like this.
  5. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I'd blame it more on the toxic people around him like Paula Yates more than anything but he made his own choices. Having brain damage really didn't help matters either and that's when it all really turned downhill.

6. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Agree with brain damage, as I got the impression that the results of the attack and the resulting mood swings/loss of smell/taste was more of a cause of concern that Paula.

Was Paula that bad? She didn't get good press over her after leaving Bob, but she was always that bubbly/flirty tv personality. Obviously she wasn't shy of using narcotics but neither was Michael. Having a child with her and having Paula's/Bob's kids around was generally taken to be a positive for him I thought.

7. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Seem like what drove him over the edge was that Geldof Yates situation. It was just unfortunate he had to get caught up in that.

8. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I think the main thing with Paula Yates was that she was very insecure at that point in her life.

The fact that Hutchence was never the monogamous type only exacerbated her insecurities. There are some people who are of the opinion that she was threatening to hurt herself and the baby if he was to leave them.

9. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

He seemed pretty monogamous as far as I saw. He wasn't dating multiple women at the same time as far as I know. He had broken up with several people and moved on though. Believe Kirk Pengilly said he was planning to leave Yates and he told him about it shortly before he died.

10. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I'm pretty certain he was having a relationship with another girl in LA just before he died.

11. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Wow...I just read this entire thread.

sunspot42 & Figure Of Eight clearly hate INXS for some reason. They cherry-pick info to suit their own narratives and have next to no clue what they're talking about. Talk about ignorance!

Even though it wasn't recorded before Achtung Baby, Andrew Farriss wrote most of WTWYA during the X tour in 1990-91. He had a portable recording unit/set up with him and frequently utilized it in hotel rooms, etc. Also, MH would always tell Bono what they were doing next - this has been well-documented in certain INXS articles/books. And though, I can't prove it, Hutchence was apparently in the studio with U2 at some point when they were mixing Achtung Baby that summer. In fact, stylistically, U2 ONLY starting getting funkier and more cutting edge AFTER Bono & Hutchence became friends in the late '80s, etc. Whereas, in the '80s, IMO, U2 weren't that unique, apart from maybe The Edge's over-utilized delay/reverb 16th-note guitar style. U2 didn't really catch up to INXS on that level until the '90s. Also, here is a Chris Thomas (producer of LLT, Kick & X) quote from page 3 of the liner notes from the 2002 X remaster:

"In retrospect, I think the singles culled from X had a profound effect on the band's contemporaries at the time. Jut listen to U2's "Mysterious Ways" from the year after X, and tell me you can't hear elements of INXS in there!"

=======================================================

Another point I'd like to add (there are many, actually), is that I've always felt X is a fantastic album. And I don't think it sounds too much like Kick either, which is the apparent consensus here. It may be lighter in some areas, but it's bluesier in others - Charlie Musselwhite plays harmonica on On My Way & Who Pays The Price.

INXS were FAR more alternative & influential than many people seem to realize...:tsk:

And lastly, to answer the thread title's question: was Michael Hutchence largely forgotten? As proven by the posters here who are incredibly well-versed and love the history of INXS and Michael, HELL NO! :biglaugh:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    John Adam, maywitch, schwaggy and 9 others like this.
  12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

RE "Michael Hutchence. Largely forgotten?*"
    I'd say NO because my friend keeps bringing him up though I could care less. Nothing against INXS really, I just never cottoned to them hugely.

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

More like "largely underappreciated" currently.

Rocketdog, Christopher B and agundy like this.
  14. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Hutchence always kind of reminds me of Jim Morrison...not the greatest singer (but by no means bad), but had that "it" factor; he was so damn charismatic. The band themselves were great musicians, so the whole thing worked beautifully:cool:

John Adam, maywitch and Szeppelin75 like this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Not to dive in the middle of this, but I don't think anyone would dispute how big INXS was at their peak. And I don't think that was really the point of the thread either. Just saying is all. And I am an INXS fan who wish more younger people were listening to them. :)

16. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Goodness...she was insufferable.

[/QUOTE]

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Haven’t read the whole thread, but it would seem to me that comparing their streaming stats from the last couple of years to that of similar bands of the era (taking into account the abrupt ending) would objectively answer this thread’s question.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

What the hell are you talking about?! Do you honestly not understand that not everyone streams music (I don't). Mostly younger listeners do. Streams do NOT quantify the total amount of fans and/or listeners. And btw, Limp Bizkit's audience is far younger than INXS'.

Also, ANY artist who has DOZENS of hit singles, gold, platinum, multi-platinum & diamond selling albums, not to mention, earned tens of millions of dollars in concert revenues & merchandise, is doing just fine. :crazy:

In fact, based on the above, as well as their annual catalogue sales, licensing fees, etc., they'll never have to work a regular job and will be comfortable in retirement...

Rocketdog likes this.
  19. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

Except for Freddie Mercury I think a lot of the others sort of get an extra push from being part of the "27 club" - all the singers who died at or around the age of 27. Not saying that's the only reason but I do think there's a bit of extra attention because every time someone else dies at 27, the other ones get a mention.

Again like I said I'm not saying it's the only reason, but I think that probably contributes. Hutchence was in his late 30s.

For what's worth, I loved INXS at a teenager in the 80s and I quite liked X and Welcome to Whereever You Are too. Probably my favorite band after Duran Duran. :) They were the only other band whose albums I collected at that time besides D2(with D2 it was also all the singles and 12 inches, etc LOL). I had my priorities and if I was going to buy all that D2 merchandise I needed to budget. :) But INXS made the cut.

20. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

Hey Gary Garry Beers isn't looking too bad. :) Didn't rate him much back in the 80s.

Yeah I don't know why anyone is arguing INXS weren't a big act. They were very popular, at least in the English speaking world, definitely one of the bigger pop acts. I assume they had a certain amount of success in Europe and Asia too.

And if I'm looking at that Spotify thing correctly it looks like INXS only has about 900,000 fewer monthly listeners than Limp Bizkit, which isn't bad considering they are an older band whose fans are mostly of an age less likely to stream.

Took Michael a bit to evolve into a sex god, he had to go through the over-excited newborn colt phase first. :) Great songs though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  21. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

Parents!

22. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I went to see the biopic about Michael Hutchence, having barely heard of him. It was interesting and informative. Watching the various live footage, I was put in mind of the late Jim Morrison. He certainly was a troubled person.

23. Juggsnelson

Here is a link to a great new interview with Andrew Farriss. All Inxs fans will love it. Extremely in depth and candid. Tons of other great interviews on the site too....and not from the usual suspects.

Episode 270 - Andrew Farriss of INXS

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  24. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Thank you very much...what an excellent interview! :righton:

And here's a recently established in-depth podcast (that currently has 11 episodes) that fans here might enjoy...

INXS: Access All Areas

Juggsnelson likes this.
  25. Juggsnelson

Its a great site! Glad you enjoyed it. I will definity have to check out the podcast you linked!

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.