Michael Jackson HIStory - Past, Present And Future Book 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

That's the way I feel about Dangerous, and you could also apply that to Invincible, too.

TaumpyTears likes this.
  2. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I doubt it'll happen, but I hope we see a Dangerous/History/BOTDF deluxe set with a documentary.

905 and jl151080 like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Dangerous was far too long. HIStory is the same. But if you took the very best tracks from both and made one (long) album, you’d have an excellent record.

4. jl151080

It'd be nice, but the MJ estate doesn't seem to be too interested in box sets for any of the albums (not counting the pointless 'This Is It' box).

5. jl151080

Some interesting info on the FAQ page of the official MJ site. FAQ

Why don't you release everything in the vault?

Eventually more music will be released but there is nothing in the vaults that is finished and ready for release. We don’t and won’t release everything in the vaults based on the choices Michael made during his life.

We agree with LA Reid’s philosophy on Xscape: we prefer to start with those recordings on which Michael sang full vocals because we know those are the ones he put the most work into. We are criticized by some fans when we don’t release unreleased material. And we are criticized by other fans when we release unreleased material using top producers, many of whom worked with Michael, to finish the recordings. If we released demos by themselves, they would not be commercially successful because they are, by definition, unfinished.

Do You Ever Read Fan Critiques Of The Estate's Projects? How Do You Feel About Fans Commenting On The Estate Projects?

We love and appreciate the passion of Michael’s fans. We know how privileged we are to have known and have worked with Michael and we take seriously the trust he put in us to manage his assets and his legacy. We also know how fortunate we are that, with the King of Pop, “the greatest entertainer that ever lived”, comes an enormous, diverse and passionate fan community with varying and sometimes conflicting views about everything related to Michael. And that naturally includes the projects undertaken by the Estate. We therefore welcome the fans’ comments and great support as, even when there is criticism, it demonstrates a shared passion and love for Michael.

It is interesting to note that we were criticized by members of Michael’s family for the release of This Is It, which went on to become not only the most successful concert documentary in history, but a film that offers a rare behind-the-scenes glimpse of Michael’s true artistic genius. We were criticized by a few journalists for the show created with Cirque du Soleil, Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour. The show went on to become one of the most successful touring shows of all time. Fortunately, we have not been criticized by virtually anyone for Michael Jackson ONE, the permanent show in Las Vegas, which has already been seen by more than 3.5 million people since its premiere and continues to one of the top shows in Las Vegas. These projects demonstrate the immense and enduring popularity of Michael Jackson.

The critiques we do receive remind us that we can’t please everyone all the time. We too are Michael fans and we do our best to create projects which we would like to see and hear. The purpose of creating these projects is to enhance Michael’s legacy, to please and excite wherever possible the existing fans, and to introduce Michael to new generations of fans. And rest assured, sooner or later we will get to many of the projects that we know the fans want, including anniversary albums and documentaries for Dangerous and HIStory.

Mister_Jay_Tee, 905 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I like both Dangerous and History.

To my ears I find that Dangerous flows really well and even though I understand the argument that a shorter album would have had a greater impact, I wouldn't change it at all. It feels like one of those albums where the sum is greater than it's parts. Indeed I remember he gave an interview at the time when he said he wanted to make a concept like The Nutcracker that would still be dissected after 100 years. I like the ambition.

I feel History has a similar sense of ambition. I find the lyrics are often extraordinary. I love the passion and anger. He addressed everything from institutional racism, media manipulation, greed, police brutality and politics.

7. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

There was big hype in the USA when this was released. Even though I had all of MJ's albums, I bought this day and date of release, got it on vinyl. I was going through my first "vinyl revival" at the time.

My favorite new song on the LP is "This Time Around", the one with the Notorious BIG rap in the middle.

Mister_Jay_Tee, JeffMo and jl151080 like this.
  8. jl151080

What about Jam? You wouldn't make it shorter?

9. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I think Dangerous is dangerously underrated.

Bad is my go-to MJ album but I love all the material on the two albums before that and when I think of his talent and success, I never forget the one guy who helped make it all possible.

Quincy Jones.

Mister_Jay_Tee likes this.
  10. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Agreed. Most things after Thriller were a bloated mess. He scored in snatches (Stranger is brilliant) but he produced a lot of dross too - too much really given how much money he spent making those records post-Thriller.

HIStory is a train wreck minus Stranger and Scream. I even like Money. The rest? Bloatware to my ears. As you said, he needed to be produced or at least have a strong co-producer at all times.

Don’t even get me started on Invincible.

Ed

11. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Mister_Jay_Tee and Stephen J like this.
  12. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Let's not forget the "HIStory" official video:

13. jl151080

Thriller is great, if a little overrated. Off The Wall and Bad are probably my two favourite MJ albums.

14. jl151080

I'll always wonder what Dangerous and HIStory may have sounded like had Quincy produced them.

Mister_Jay_Tee, JeffMo and Nostaljack like this.
  15. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Me too, me too but I ain't complaining!

jl151080 likes this.
  16. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Off the Wall is the best thing he ever did. He was having fun and that fun is all over the record. Thriller is cold calculation but it had the songs to back it up. Bad had them too but some of the songs were very samey. The synclavier was all over it and the tunes suffered for it. Once Quincy and he parted, he listened only to himself and things got bloated and weird after that. He only had moments of brilliance, not albums full of it anymore.

Ed

17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

To be honest, no. The thought never occurred to me.

905 and jl151080 like this.
  18. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Wow, I didn't know that. I just happened to have it near my desk so snapped a couple pics for you. I had forgotten about the great booklet that was included with the box. It's presented as a kind of box set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jl151080 likes this.
  19. Mr. Gnome

Mr. Gnome Forum Resident

I would prefer not sit 2 minutes waiting for “Will You be There” to start and another 2 minutes at the end that includes a spoken word part. I can appreciate the ambition but jeez. :laugh:

I think Disc 1 cheapened it and as a result the new material got overlooked. Plus let’s not forget the price of 2-Disc CDs in the 90s.

Mister_Jay_Tee, Sean, Jayseph and 2 others like this.
  20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The singles on this one were great. The album cuts...I can’t remember much about them, honestly.

Mister_Jay_Tee and TaumpyTears like this.
  21. jl151080

I played Dangerous today, and found I actually skipped over Will You Be There because of the long intro.

Completely agree. That's why I didn't buy it upon release in 1995, being 14 and having no money!

22. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

The original plan was for MJ to deliver a couple of new songs to Sony, to be placed alongside his greatest hits in a one disc package.

But so fired up was he by his legal troubles, he wrote and recorded a whole new album of material.

23. jl151080

Interesting, thanks.

That was one of the most frustrating things about being an MJ fan - waiting 4 + years for new material between albums, and then HIStory comes out as a double album, with a double album price.

24. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

25. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I’m playing my original 1995 disc right about now! I wish I have my Aiwa back, though. I took it to Hawaii around 2001 or so and dropped it while hiking. Maybe I’ll look for a replacement, for fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.