Michael Jackson "Off The Wall" original mixes on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JJAM, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Well then what is interesting is that I just bought the Essential CD and the mix of 'Off The Wall' is absolutely not the mix on the itunes version of Essential. In fact I also checked out sound samples on Amazon and CD Universe of that track on Essential and on Amazon and CD Universe the mix of Off The Wall is exactly what's on my Essential CD. It's only the mix on itunes that is not on my CD and also is not the sound sample that is up on Amazon and CD Universe. Perhaps since Essential is 10 years old now at some point maybe the mix was changed on the CD for some reason. Unfortunately Joe Palmaccio is not at Sony anymore so I can't ask him if any changes at some point were made to the CD. I'm quite friendly with Vic Anesini and I asked him why the mix off the track 'Off The Wall' on itunes is very different from what's on my Essential CD set and he had no idea. I don't know the 3 mixes very well but the only thing that is different between my Essential CD and the same track on itunes Essential is that the handclaps are much louder in the mix and the vocals are mixed a bit lower. At the :48 mark when he sings 'So for tonight' that's where the much louder handclaps begin and repeat in the song each time it gets to that part. This whole thing is confusing but I do know for certain that the mix on my Essential set is different then the same track on the itunes version of Essential.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, I learned long ago to never trust the sound samples on iTunes. In fact, I don't always trust anything I download from anywhere as being correct. I have downloaded albums that were a patchwork of tracks from other masterings.

My main concern was to have the 45 single mix, and had to do a good needledrop of it to get a digital copy. Then I have the album mix. So, i'm happy.

Scottb likes this.
  3. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I haven't got ''The Essential MJ'' on either CD or as the i tunes version, but it sounds like the alternate mix you are describing might be the 7'' remix. That mix is more ''in your face'' than the album mix.

classicmusicfan32 and Grant like this.
  4. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Would you happen to know Mr. Anesini's email address? There was something that I wanted to ask him about last year, but I couldn't find his email. Since I was unable to find Anesini's email, I sent the message that I had written for him to Sony Music, but I never got a reply from them.

5. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes I heard this mix on Youtube and it's either very close or the same as the mix on itunes. This mix on Youtube might have a bit more reverb then the mix on itunes but it's very close.

6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I usually speak with him by phone. Have you tried to call Battery Mastering Studio's in New York City? That's where the Sony/Legacy mastering engineers work. They have a main number and a separate mailing address from Sony. If you call or write to them more then likely Vic will get your note/message.

DiabloG likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

@Diablo Griffin @Scottb This is the one! This is the 45 single mix.

classicmusicfan32 likes this.
  8. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Yes it does!

DiabloG likes this.
  9. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Great, thanks! I've already got the original mixes on vinyl, but I figured that having them on CD wouldn't hurt.

andy75 likes this.
  10. fabriziom1974

fabriziom1974 Forum Resident

There are actually 2 slightly different single mixes of OTW, one (3'47") released in Japan/USA, and another, longer one (4'01"), released in Europe. The first one is on the Mixed Masters mini CD, the second one is on the UK Dangerous Tour Souvenir Pack, and I guess on the iTunes version of The Essential.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Scottb likes this.
  11. fabriziom1974

fabriziom1974 Forum Resident

12. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

The itunes remix is 3:47.

13. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

George, are you certain that ESCA 5407 does not have pre-emphasis given the other quote above (and several other references in other threads to it having pre-emphasis)? Thanks.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Sorry, my mistake. I see it is on the pre-emphasis list on another thread. It does have the original mixes, though, so I wasn't completely wrong.

15. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I am not certain computer converters recognize the pre-emphasis, maybe some do some don't? The earlier CD players do recognize them, and apply the proper de-emphasis. This can be done also by a decent EQ unit... alas maybe the much maligned EQ device has a use after all? I do not know the curve though, but should be published somewhere on the web.

16. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

As far as I know ripping software will never automatically compensate for or decode pre-emphasis. You need specific ripping software – and need to know where to look – to detect if a disc is pre-emphasised. Once you see that pre-emphasis was used, you need an additional conversion step to process the audio files. I use XLD and SoX on a Mac for this. If you search the forum on "pre-emphasis" you will find detailed info, also for other computer platforms.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  17. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

So it sounds like there is no known CD version of Off the Wall that uses the original mixes and does not have pre-emphasis? That's what I gather so far from the versions discussed in this thread. What's not clear, however, is if there are any CDs not yet mentioned ...

ACK! and bwags12 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.