Michael Jackson - Thriller - upcoming MFSL SACD & One-Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poe_man, May 16, 2022.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Simpler times.

[​IMG]

From Record Mirror. Issue dated 4th December 1982.

proedros, Carlox, Chemguy and 26 others like this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Bobby, when did you first buy this album and which format?

idledreamer, Jarleboy and MikeJedi like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Vinyl. Sometime in early 1983. Probably when Billie Jean was out as a single.

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I thought you kept a detailed purchase log! :cool:

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

6. Bobby Morrow

Not until I bought a CD player in 1985.

I did write some dates down before that, but not everything.

innuendo141 likes this.
  7. Sebastich

Sebastich Senior Member

Hi!
    I personally want this release only for the bonus tracks or unreleased material, as I do for the most of the albums I have acquired during twenty years

8. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I heard the same on the One Step. While the whole album sounded great, Human Nature is the one the really jumped out at me withy echoes in the vocals and the little details. Incredible.

Tullman and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Agree. I also thought PYT sounded better than I’ve ever remembered. Throughout the one step it’s really the details in the backing vocals and instrumentals that seem to have been new additions. I also think the vocals have more presence. It’s a great sounding reissue.

However, when I play the OG there’s a lot more Drive and energy there. Trade offs. I’m not sorry to have either.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    proedros, mikedifr0923, benzo and 4 others like this.
  10. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

You nailed it...the OG does have more drive and energy (I kept switching between my Vinyl rip of my 2A Pitman) and the DSD files I ripped off the SACD. That's the best way I can describe this release. The SACD is audiophile quality but the OG or even the Grundman Mastered SACD/DSD files from the 2000's, they are thunderous.

supermd, Jarleboy and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  11. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

What is OG please?

hi_watt likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Original/first press. For the life of me I don’t understand why that term continues to be used. Most people don’t know what it refers to. Just say first press or original.

13. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Are there many out there whose orders have not yet shipped? I ordered in May 2022 from Mofi, paid in full and my order is stagnant "unfulfilled". As its now 2 weeks since they started shipping and even local retailers have Mofi stock (normally takes weeks) I have emailed twice this week asking about why my order has not shipped. Radio silence. Nothing.

layman likes this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I ordered one from a seller on eBay, I think Tuesday, normal $99 price. Supposed to arrive by Saturday. Sounds like in this case that worked out good not to preorder.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  15. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

If the '99 SACD and the HDTracks DSD mastering is the same, has that been the definitive pick by consensus on here? I only have the Epic ‎– 35・8P-11 JAP 1983 release in my library (which I think sounds really good).
    Is it time to upgrade?

16. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

Please can I ask - why ‘OG’? - I would understand ‘FP’ or ‘OP’ as the letters used.

For years I have just guessed it’s jargon used by some to appear knowledgeable, and had a feeling it was meaning something like original, but the letters ‘O’G don’t make total sense.
    It’s hot the feel of a code of a secret club like when some refer to ‘RL’ and ‘BG’ - I had to read post threads for hints as to what those meant (Robert Ludwig is sometimes called Bob Ludwig. So the ‘R’L makes a bit less sense).

Mind you, ‘MJ’ did become universally recognised as referring to Michael Jackson. ..

… there… I went a bit off- topic (‘OT’?) on a rant but sorta brought it back, just about.

BTW - I’m really enjoying my ‘MOFI’ ‘SACD’. Like others, I’m finding it warm and, thankfully, unbrickwalled. Great to rediscover this remarkable album.

Iving, kippyy, layman and 3 others like this.
  17. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

$4.29. Damn.... DAMN !!!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

OG = Original Gangster (also an album from Ice T) but is the urban dictionary way of quickly referring to "original".

19. Bobby Morrow

This was the week Thriller came out.

Who’d have thought then that one day people would be paying $100 plus for the One Step edition?

:D

supermd, Jarleboy, audiomixer and 4 others like this.
  20. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Lol !!! Certainly not me, I could never justify paying that much for a single record, especially with a "modest" ( <- and that's being kind) system like mine...

Sometime way back in the mid-2010's, I scored a very nice original press of Thriller at a show for $5. So when I saw your post I immediately thought to myself, "a 71-cent appreciation, not bad" (and I didn't even have to pay sales tax !!) :D:laugh:

21. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

You're from Oakland, CA and you don't know what OG means... ;)

arem, Stormrider77, The Hud and 7 others like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Excuse the pimping for another thread, but we're running a "Thriller" Weakest Link... and we're off to a slow start.

So pimp I will! :D

Weakest Link: Michael Jackson "Thriller" Round 1

Come join us and follow along with the next week's worth of voting!

agentalbert and Yost like this.
  23. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

Is anybody here a fan of the "Thriller" CBS Half-Spreed Master? I have that and think it sounds great. I also have the original SACD and will receive the MOFI SACD next week. Will look forward to comparing the three. I wonder now if I should have opted out of the OneStep, my plan is to wait for the 45 version.

24. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I've had issues when buying directly from Mofi. Music Direct(which I think has the same owners) shipped my copy the day after I ordered it. You could call Music Direct and find out if it's in stock and if you place an order when will it ship. If they say it will ship right away cancel the Mofi order and just get it from Music Direct. I've had some major problems buying from Mofi directly that I had to get my credit card company involved to dispute a charge. I had pre-ordered it from Mofi many months ago and then about 6 weeks ago I emailed mofi and asked to cancel my pre-order. I didn't get any replies from Mofi so I had to get my credit card company involved and then the charge was taken off my credit card and the pre-order was cancelled. So my thoughts on buying directly from Mofi are not good.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

My copy arrive today….and it’s warped. No single large warp that shows well in pictures, but little ripples throughout so that my stylus looks like it’s sailing.