Michael Jackson - Thriller - upcoming MFSL SACD & One-Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poe_man, May 16, 2022.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Great QC for the money, wouldn't you say?

2. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

received mine today #580. Haven't listened but I can tell theres some dishing.. we'll see how bad it is on the turntable. I can't remember the last time I got a good RTI pressing whereas GZ has been nearly perfect as of late

bkbk likes this.
  3. MarcTheMusician

MarcTheMusician Forum Heretic and Beatle Lover

Got mine today, a little north of 20,000. Sounds great! Compared to the cd versions I had growing up, it's a fantastic improvement. Plus, from time to time, it's good to be reminded that this album is actually really great. Never a dull moment, only a few saccharine ones.

proedros, ispace, Yost and 5 others like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yes. As a millennial, I can confirm that saying “OG” means “the original.” It’s a very common term that most people my age understand.

I also realize most people here are quite a bit older than I. ;)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Tyler, recstar24 and DeanoBee like this.
  5. Vinylbeast

Vinylbeast But does it sound good?

What is funniest part is the whole what is “OG” thing had already been addressed earlier in the thread. It pays to read the whole thread people. Smh

recstar24 and formu_la like this.
  6. The_Shocker

The_Shocker Forum Resident

SACD 725 arrives today. Will give it a good listen later today.

I was watching a video yesterday of someone comparing a 1982 pressing the MFSL One Step, and the reviewer claimed that this One Steps really reveals how much clipping there is in the 1982 first pressing vinyl and how it "almost sounds digital."

I have an early 80s Thriller pressing and my ears don't hear any clipping. Maybe I'm just not trained to hear it. But I can definitely pick up clipping on loudness wars CDs from the 2000s.

Is there clipping in the original vinyl release of Thriller?

7. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Um, than me, not I

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

1. You’re really correcting my grammar? :rolleyes:
    2. No, “I” is correct, as in “I also realize most people here are quite a bit older than I am.” I’d recommend a quick Google search first before publicly calling me out on my grammar.

Have a great day, Terry. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

My SACD is out for delivery. I’m curious to compare this to the HDTracks download that matches the prior SACD. Love this album.

10. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I just finished doing a comparison of side b in sync to a really well done needledrop of the first pressing from a famous needle dropper. Not a perfect fair comparison, and I’ll be doing my own needle drops of both my copies to eliminate variables in equipment, but:
    • The new pressing is indeed less compressed and less bright.
    • Treble and shine is pulled WAYYYY back on the one step. Makes the recording more crankable and allows MJ’s voice to breathe more.
    • There is less energy on the new mastering, as expected. I miss the kick on Billie Jean.
    • My wife preferred the OneStep every time when switching back and forth. Smoother, more air, less grating, less etched.
    Honestly the difference wasn’t as much as I was expecting or hoping. It’s a good mastering. It offers a slightly different experience over the OG (shout out to my millennial brothers, lol).

Not revelatory, but different enough to be valuable.

I’ll be posting some needle drops next!

Also forgot to mention: the needledropper’s equipment is far superior to mine, so could this be a case of the onestep played back on my humble setup approaching the OG played back on that $10k+ system? Maybe!

proedros, ispace, WhatDoIKnow and 3 others like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I did a comparison of the MFSL SACD and the 2006 SACD. The 2006 single layer is a touch louder, and brighter. Not sure which is correct, they both sound great to listen to. The highs might have been rolled off a bit on the new MFSL mastering. Or perhaps they were boosted a bit on the old one, who knows?

ispace and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  12. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Okay folks, here's a few needledrops of Side B, tracks 2,3,4:

mj onestep comparison

I'm offering 2 sets of files here, because normalizing the OneStep to match the OG changed the experience quite a bit.

• Turns out my OG is not a true 1st pressing. Take this what you will. Side B is "2CJ", carrolton pressing: Michael Jackson - Thriller
    • When not normalized the Onestep sounds a bit flat, but prompts you to crank it.
    • When normalized, the Onestep hangs with the 2CJ in terms of tonality and almost in punch, but is more breathable. Level matching is important for comparing, knowing how LOUD the 2CJ is cut and QUIET the Onestep is.
    • The 2CJ cut is so loud, it actually clipped 2 samples in my capture, which I didn't fix. I didn't change any settings before capturing the Onestep which did NOT clip, or even get close to clipping
    • Check the Freq response of the Onestep: there's an odd 29khz hum/artifact NOT present on the 2CJ cut.
    • Although the Onestep vinyl is "quieter" there's a low roar/woosh sound that the 2CJ doesn't have. I actually prefer the 2CJ vinyl noise profile.
    I think the big winner of these 3 tracks is PYT. The 2CJ is compressed so hard the congas are nearly missing! But come in very clear on the Onestep.

What do you all think?

ispace, bkbk, Strat-Mangler and 4 others like this.
  13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I think I'll probably never listen to this album again in my lifetime. That said, I think I'll be saving a bit of money not buying it. :agree:

14. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Haven't heard the SACD but the onestep is also rolled off. I think deliberately, to allow for some more headroom.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  15. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Thanks. Didn't care for the Onestep samples. Yes, some more air and detail but it lacks the groove of the OG. It doesn't suit the music nearly as well

WhatDoIKnow, chris8519 and audiomixer like this.
  16. #904 checking in........always a KLAUDIO cleaning, this time twice.

Flat, quiet and flawless pressing, no wooooosh on mine.......well packed from MD

Crankable to 11 with nary an issue...louder the better

Dynamic and wide soundstage, vocals clean and clear

The treble has been tamed a bit to great effect. Crankable! Dynamic!

Tight, clean base

More percussion going on with this presentation than my original vinyl, closer to the Single Layer SACD in this regard.

Ballads are warm and dreamy sounding R&B( maybe less compression?)

17. winders

winders Music Lover

brianvargo likes this.
  18. DigitalSupremacy

DigitalSupremacy Compact Disc warrior

Just received my SACD...... genuinely fantastic, fixed all the issues I had with the original release.

I've been known to despise MOFI on CD but they really hit it out of the park with this one, wide, spacious, airy, accurate with great technicals and no sloppy bass.

Audioresearch, ispace, Yost and 2 others like this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Who mastered this one?

20. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

A friend came over tonight with the MFSL SACD and we compared against the first SACD. To my ears, the MFSL was warmer and did indeed have lower energy/less kick. The first SACD sounds the way I've always heard Thriller, the MFSL sounds like a different take. Michael's voice is pushed back a little and instrumentation is easier discern on the MFSL. The first SACD sounds a little smeared in comparison. The differences are subtle.

I agree with the general consensus here that the MFSL mastering is for sitting back and listening, while the first SACD (or Japanese first CD) is for getting up and dancing. I'm surprised that the SACD didn't goose the bass as too often MFSL has done that.

proedros, agentalbert and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  21. DigitalSupremacy

DigitalSupremacy Compact Disc warrior

On the back it says "Mastered by Shawn R. Britton at Mobile Fidelity Sound lab"

ispace, Tullman, Yost and 2 others like this.
  22. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I guess your first paragraph is about the SACD - SACD comparison? Did you also compare the MFSL to your Japanese first CD? When I did, Michael’s vocals are more pushed back on the CD, and more “on top”, or in front, on the MFSL.

Merrick likes this.
  23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I didn’t directly compare the Japanese CD, I just remember it having more kick than I felt out of the MFSL. I switched over to the first SACD from the Japanese CD when the SACD came out.

WhatDoIKnow and Yost like this.
  24. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Do you have a link to the video your referring to? Personally, I think it’s weird to talk about clipping in relation to an (analog) LP. It’s typically something that happens on a digital master. But the reviewer might experience (analog) compression and distortion on his LP, and call it clipping.

PS. Clipping can occur in an analog sound chain, but then it’s about the amplifier not being able to properly drive the connected speakers. It only happens at very loud volumes, and when your amplifier and speakers are not properly matched.

groovelocked likes this.
  25. That €4.29 would be about €13.25 now (inflation calculator).

WhatDoIKnow and Yost like this.