Michael Jackson - Thriller - upcoming MFSL SACD & One-Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poe_man, May 16, 2022.

1. I remember reading somewhere that the old SACD was basically a flat DSD transfer of the original stereo tapes. It's a hell of a great sounding disc, too. It's nice that there will be a new version available on the market, but it'll be hard to beat the old disc with an extra 20 years of age on the tapes.

For those who are interested, I believe that the old SACD transfer is available on QoBuz. (Avoid the 25th anniversary edition, though!)

Jarleboy, Grant, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  2. Bad (and probably Dangerous) were recorded at CD resolution, so you might as well skip the SACD and just make a nice CD remaster instead.

HIStory and Invisible might have been recorded at higher resolutions, so those might benefit from the hi-res treatment.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The original mix is drier and more direct sounding - also there's the "oh no" in the right channel at 2' 24'' that's more prominent in the single mix.

The "oh no" is heard at 2' 37'' in the left channel of the 12" mix!

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It’s nice to immediately be given a release date for these MoFi products instead of being kept in the dark for months.

Jarleboy, ODShowtime, ispace and 7 others like this.
  5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Glad they are FINALLY easing away from the damn 45’s. But I am still going SACD on this one…

6. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

It would be a nice thing if Mofi donated a percentage of the profits to a charity for abuse victims.

jconsolmagno likes this.
  7. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I wonder if they will do anything with the videos. It would be nice to have the videos remastered, and in particular, the 3D version of Thriller that was produced some time ago.

8. Vinylbeast

Vinylbeast But does it sound good?

I may grab the sacd, hopefully someone will get an advance copy and enlighten us with reviews before it drops. As far as the vinyl I just have a hard time believing that my 1A/1C or 1E/1G copies could be bested in the 33rpm format. Shoot, even my 2D/2D copy is no slouch.

9. Actually, this seems like something that would sell a heck of a lot better than a niche SACD release.

A Blu Ray edition of Thriller with 5.1 mixes, a remastered original stereo mix, remastered music videos (and maybe new videos for the tracks that didn't have any) would sell extremely well.

Plus, you could upload the videos to Netflix / Youtube / whereever for mass market appeal!

Jarleboy and Torontotom like this.
  10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

If they are pressing 40000 copies and they are pressing only 1000 copies per one-step stamper, it would appear that they cut at least 40 new sets of lacquers for this one-step. Not counting any that would have been necessary for pressing overages, damage/defects in the production run, or whatever other lacquers would have been needed to cut the supposed 45RPM version.

People like to say the majors are hesitant to use original master tapes to cut AAA because they are “soooo fwagile uwu” and will never stand up to such horrible wear and tear resulting from being played on a professional tape machine, god forbid, but in a typical 3-step plating situation the tape is only really required to be run once or twice to cut lacquers.

Then on the other hand you have a project like this, where they run the tape 40+ times, all for a one-step process that doesn’t even offer any real benefit to performance/SQ as opposed to traditional 3 step plating.

Clearly the truth is somewhere in the middle but this does seem a bit excessive, no?

11. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

Improved upon MoFi's cover art, enjoy.

[​IMG]

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

You'll be barking that your special number isn't low to maintain maximum value on the resell market.

Jarleboy and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  13. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

If it’s like the Japan Sony Kind of Blue SACD to the MoFi then... yep!

14. ehmjay

ehmjay Forum Resident

So I pre-ordered the Vinyl before discovering that a 2-LP 45 rpm is coming at a "later date". Did I just blow $100 (which is actually far more once you account for exchange rate, and duties and all that jazz)

UGH

groovelocked likes this.
  15. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

Hope they will do Off the Wall. That album needs an great Hi-res version.

ivtoon, furthermore, Jarleboy and 6 others like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a dupe with all remastering baked in and plated directly off of that.

Marv Headroom and MrRom92 like this.
  17. jvc444

jvc444 Are you a 1099er?

Not only that, the CD layer will also be MFSL quality. When is the official release?

18. Mijacmad

Mijacmad Well-Known Member

Apparently the late inclusion of 'Beat It' caused 'The lady in my life' to lose verse.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's already at 5 min. No big loss and I like the song.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

A stupid approach if true. Another generation of tape, regardless of however well done the copy is, will result in much more significant generational loss than the supposed generational loss of any 3 step plating process. This would be a grade-A example of MoFi cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Leonthepro and Strat-Mangler like this.
  21. mjfan1987

mjfan1987 Forum Resident

Preordered this without reading about the 45 rpm version. Does Mofi let people cancel orders? And is 45 rpm significantly better than 33?

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  22. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

45 rpm can be significantly better (it is better, all else being equal) and it possibly will be better in this case, but right now there’s too much up in the air with strange/conflicting information surrounding this release. We don’t really know if any of the new masterings will even sound better than a standard original US pressing.

WhatDoIKnow and mjfan1987 like this.
  23. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I called and placed my preorder with Music Direct this morning.. There was no 45 rpm version for preorder.

24. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

While a 45 version would rule, and I certainly understand the excitement for it, so far it has only been hinted at by Michael Fremer. Who also is the only source for any information about it being mastered by Bernie Grundman, or possibly having a digital step. I would not hold my breath for a 45rpm version happening until there is some official mention of it elsewhere.

25. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

And this mastering is still available @24/176 for a decent price. This one and my Dutch '82 LP will do it for me for a long time.

PADYBU and Bobby Morrow like this.