Michael Jackson - Thriller - upcoming MFSL SACD & One-Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poe_man, May 16, 2022.

1. Martin76

Martin76 Well-Known Member

I'm listening right now to the CD layer -with headphones- and is quite amazing compared to previous versions: instruments separation, sound clarity, and well balanced.

Nosferatuz, Yost, Tracey and 8 others like this.
  2. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

That's how I played and compared it to others - through headphones. I was surprised when I went from the new MoFi to the earlier copy I had from 2008 how much cleaner the new one sounds. As the owner of the In the Groove records said, it really is quite a different take on this and interesting how far they could go with just mastering choices. I would've almost thought it was a new mix at times.

supermd, mikeyt, WhatDoIKnow and 4 others like this.
  3. sjas1962

sjas1962 Forum Resident

When I played the SACD of an album I have probably heard a million times it was almost like I was hearing it for the first time. The separation, dimension and clarity are pretty spectacular. Well worth the price of admission.

supermd, Nosferatuz, Yost and 12 others like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Feels like views of the SACD are all over the place! :help:

OE3, Yost and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  5. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

It's all about preference, not to mention how it sounds on different equipment. You have to buy it and judge. But I think there's enough POVs about it to have some idea of what to expect.

6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I'm playing it right now and I'm in total agreement. It's a brilliant remaster of an album most of us know backwards and forwards. Is it a flat transfer? Hell, no. But the choices that were made are quite remarkable and I have the 1999 SACD. This is now my "go-to". And for those of you who think it's anemic and the bass is missing, I feel sorry for you and your playback systems. That is the farthest thing from the truth!

supermd, Nosferatuz, Yost and 13 others like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I get that. Just a little surprised at the range of opinions. :)

Yost, JamesRR and Jrr like this.
  8. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

Agreed. I’m a bass-o-holic who am often disappointed with bass in 1980’s decade recordings. This MoFI version has plenty of bass, and high quality tuneful bass.

supermd, Nosferatuz, Yost and 6 others like this.
  9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree with your assessment. I personally felt like the OG was my favorite way to play this. Bare in mind I was around 16 y/o when it was released. This seems to me like just another good take on the content. I think it’s very enjoyable, just not as familiar as the OG.

WhatDoIKnow and audiomixer like this.
  10. audiomixer

Indeed.

Yost likes this.
  11. audiomixer

The SACD is all of that and more!

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What else is new. System dependent of course. That's why we fill out our profiles.

JeffMo, Yost, Vinyl Fan 1973 and 2 others like this.
  13. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I think it is expectations that separate the opinions. The Mofi is different. If you wanted a Mofi that sounded like the other releases then you might not like it. If you wanted a mofi that gives an audiophile experience with better imaging and soundstage, and the high frequencies tamed, with bass that thumps, then it's right for you.

Basically what Mike In the Groove said at the beginning. He nailed it.

Yost, SteveS1, Doctorwu and 7 others like this.
  14. DancingSea

Exactly. People seem upset that it doesn’t sound like the OG. I say thank god it doesn’t. The MoFi is what Thriller sounds like with no compression. Not the best sounding release for a nightclub. But perhaps easily the best sounding for audiophiles. In my opinion that is.

One was mixed for kids playing cassettes on their Walkmans. This is mastered for a proper stereo.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes and no. I think you’re pretty much right, but I think he oversold it too (not intentionally…I think he has a lot of integrity given he’s trying to sell some of the stuff he talks about, but I don’t think he purposely tries to push bad pressings at all).

When he talked about it after hearing it at MFSL during his visit, I don’t know, now I think it was a stretch but then again, he was hearing it in perfect environment. I bought it totally based on his comments and was very disappointed, but I do seem to be in the minority. You’re totally right: it just depends on what you are expecting. As I’ve said before, I guess there wouldn’t have been any point to MFSL just making the same mastering Epic did in the 80’s. Those are easy to find still.

16. audiomixer

Are you talking about the One Step?
    And what did you find disappointing?

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Probably the most realistic comment I’ve seen! Exactly.

ispace, DancingSea and PdB73 like this.
  18. audiomixer

I was shocked at how much more I was hearing in the mix. I mean a lot more!

Nosferatuz, mikeyt, ispace and 2 others like this.
  19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I just got my SACD so I haven't had a chance to let it fully sink in it, much less compare it to other copies of Thriller I have. I will echo those who point out the clarity and musicality of this release. Listening to Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', I can see how some might feel like this lacks upper frequency energy but I actually think that it's just more balanced. I'm hearing percussive elements I didn't notice before because they were previously obscured by other percussive elements. That's a theme I'd apply to every track I've played so far -- I am noticing more details not because of any smiley faced EQ but because everything just sounds a bit more clear. And speaking of clear -- I've never heard the opening of the title track sound like this.

JeffMo, supermd, audiomixer and 7 others like this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I compared it to a sealed early pressing to the vinyl One Step. I will make this short since I’ve written a lot about it above, but it’s like DancingSea said, in far fewer words. It just depends on what your want and it’s good there are choices. A lot of us have said the One Step lacks the driven energy of the original. That’s impossible to deny if you have an early copy. Night and day. Even the tone of the bass sounds more authentic in the early version. It sounds fake and thin to me on the MFSL, but that could simply be because I’m so used to the other. I think, as others have said, the vocals are gorgeous. But they are awfully nice in the old version too. Maybe a bit better on the MFSL, but that isn’t at all what Thriller is about, and I’m sure Quincy Jones would not have approved the original sounding like the MFSL. I must admit the imaging is indeed much better on the One Step as well.

The MFSL is an audiophile listen, and well done as such. Normally that is by far the version I would want. I love almost all of my MFSL records, well over 100. However, the original Thriller is a very fun album full of energy and drive. It wasn’t supposed to be an audiophile album in the traditional sense. It was supposed to be a very good sounding album of pop r&b music, but not in an audiophile fashion as we know the term around here. I see no reason why the average person (who clearly the bulk of 40,000 copies are hoped to go to) would want the new version.

Both are good for different reasons. For many, based on comments here, both will share a space in one’s collection. But I just miss the energy and drive too much, especially if you listen to both, to bother with the new one. If I want to hear something audiophile, I’ll put on most of the other MFSL albums I have. For me, Thriller isn’t supposed to sound like that. But I would also say because that was the sound MFSL was going for, they knocked it out of the park. The issue is more with me, not with MFSL.

proedros, mikeyt, Kyhl and 3 others like this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It’s starting to sound like the SACD might actually sound at least a bit better than the One Step.

Yost, mikeyt, Kyhl and 1 other person like this.
  22. audiomixer

I'm getting that same feeling because the SACD has all of the punch and "thrill" of the original LP and early CDs, but with all of the added dynamics, transparency and soundstage. As I mentioned earlier, I heard a plethora of more elements in this remaster than on any other release and what I hear was "thrilling"...at least to me.

Yost, mikeyt and layman like this.
  23. DancingSea

Don’t tell anyone. The SACD always sounds better than the OneSteps… :tiphat:

24. Vinylbeast

Vinylbeast But does it sound good?

Finally got update for delivery for my sacd from Amazon, which I preordered first week of November. Amazon says delivery expected January 25th… lame-o In other news I saw MusicDirect was showing yesterday as in stock. Called my local indie store as they order from MD as one of their distributors. MD told them they were out of stock for retailers, but in stock for private customer orders?!? So if I wanted it I would have to order directly from MD and pay $8 for shipping. And also take money away from local mom n pop shop. I chose to just wait out the Amazon, that hopefully comes as hard to beat the $26 and change with free shipping when preordered.

25. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Oh yeah, quite a common complaint - look how all over the place this thread is:

Thriller SACD: lacking some bass

Also low bass mentioned on the old SA-CD website:

SA-CD.net - Michael Jackson: Thriller

olinko likes this.