Michael Jackson - Thriller - upcoming MFSL SACD & One-Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poe_man, May 16, 2022.

1. mjfan1987

mjfan1987 Forum Resident

Those are all good points, the original release sounds amazing and the Half Speed Mastered is great as well. Will be hard to improve.

Love analog sound chain, but even my used beat up 60s capital Beatles monos smoke the new mono vinyl (which were also all analog). Maybe old equipment just made things sound better?

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

There aren't very many of those, even in Japan.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  3. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

From the site FAQ:

Payments of orders placed using a Card payment method will typically only be charged when the item is in processing for dispatch. In stock items are usually dispatched within 1 working day of the order being placed. Pre-ordered items will be processed ahead of the release, and may be charged up to 3 weeks before the release date. If only part of your order is dispatched, only the dispatched item(s) would typically be charged, along with postage, at the point of processing the item(s) for dispatch. The funds for the remaining item(s) will be charged when the remaining item(s) are processed for dispatch.

It seems card payments for pre-orders are taken on or near dispatch.

WhatDoIKnow and dastinger like this.
  4. myles

Oh and 'chamone'.....pre-ordered.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This looks kind of official.

THRILLER 40 - A DOUBLE CD SET OF MICHAEL'S ORIGINAL MASTERPIECE THRILLER & BONUS DISC - TO BE RELEASED ON NOVEMBER 18

MrRom92 likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Thats always been a worry of mine with the One Steps. So many lacquers needed, and for what, a lower chance of noise, maybe? I wish they would keep the supervinyl but stop the One Step process, it just seems like another gimmick the hype their products with, at the expense of excessive tape play.

tubesandvinyl and MrRom92 like this.
  8. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Did I read on here Music Direct is now using UPS to ship to Canada? Their brokerage fee's are highway robbery.

9. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Could not agree more. There’s never been any evidence to suggest that something was ever being lost in the 3 step process. I never stopped a listening session only to wish that my best sounding records were plated less.
    One step plating processes were historically offered by some plants to indies on a shoestring budget, and generally recommended against. Only because it’s a cheaper process. Not a better one. No other audiophile label I’m aware of has ever chased this process as a “feature” before MoFi tried it and it would’ve probably been done decades ago if there were any merit to it.
    On the other hand, it’s the 3 step process that’s responsible for us getting repressings of audiophile favorites years (if not decades) later. Like the Miles Davis UHQR originally cut and plated in the 90’s. Or the Rumours 45rpm that’s back in print now, originally cut by Gray/Hoffman in 2006.

I’m all for anything that offers an even slight improvement to the quality of the product. But this just isn’t it, and it kinda sucks to see OneSteps become such a big part of MoFi’s identity as they continue to put records out.

Leonthepro likes this.
  11. myles

@dastinger and they took my cha-money straight away.

WhatDoIKnow and dastinger like this.
  12. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Crap. I probably won't be pre-ordering then. Not from them at least.

Thanks for letting me know!

myles likes this.
  13. myles

It is a pending payment currently so it could remain pending until nearer to the date. In any case, I've sucked it up, because I have to now. Please note though that I've seen one other UK pre-order and it's £180! Carazy!

WhatDoIKnow and Leonthepro like this.
  14. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

The only reason I think that it could be cut from a digital source is that MOFI has been directly asked by a number of people on social media about a digital cut and they have yet to respond.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

One of my Top 10 albums all in on this.

16. violarules

violarules Senior Member

The official Sony/Legacy press release mentioned a 2x45 RPM Mofi release being forthcoming. I think that's about as official as you can get until Mofi puts it up for pre-oreder.

17. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Because then people would be screaming what? no Thriller???

ARK, Jarleboy, supermd and 1 other person like this.
  18. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I'm probably going to hold off on the Mofi 33 RPM of Thriller for now. I have an original pressing in decent condition that sounds good.

When the 2x45 is released, I might jump on that. This album is so dynamic that I think a good 45 RPM cut could be worth the cost. Also, I don't understand the one post that said he wouldn't want the 2x45 version because it would interrupt the flow of the album. This album was chock full of singles, which, by definition, can easily stand on their own!

ispace, Marv Headroom, ted321 and 3 others like this.
  19. teag

teag Forum Resident

What is your source for this? Legal action for doing what?

Cast Iron Shore and Leonthepro like this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Check his website. Read under Michael Jackson one step. Fremer didn't say what he was deposed for.

21. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

he made an entire video about it years ago. He was an expert witness in a case for trial and as part of the discovery process you get deposed

Tullman likes this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I remember that. If you read his quote he made it sound like MOFI came after him for something he did wrong.

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

That doesn’t read like “he had legal action taken against him by MOFI” as you stated.

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You mean *disinformation*.

MrRom92 likes this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Whoopie ding. WTF do I know about legal jargon. Fremer made it sound like he could get in trouble again. "I will post a further clarification with additional information that will satisfy you, me, Mobile Fidelity and The Estate of Michael Jackson. As you know, I was deposed once already by their lawyers and I do not wish to make it twice!"

WhatDoIKnow, PATB and poe_man like this.