Michael Jackson's Thriller - 40 years' 2CD special edition - November 30th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diego Lucas, May 16, 2022.

1. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

James Ingram and Quincy Jones co-wrote PYT? That would explain its glaring omission on the HIStory set.

2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Why's that? There are plenty of co-writes or songs written by someone else entirely on there. "Human Nature" was a bigger hit than "PYT" and was left off, but there's only so much space on one disc. It was over 70 minutes as it is. And also maybe they didn't want to just put the whole Thriller album on there, over half the album on there already.

thxphotog likes this.
  3. innuendo141

innuendo141 I want to pet your dog.

I would hardly call its commission glaring if I'm honest, considering Dirty Diana and Smooth Criminal didn't make the cut - both number ones. PYT made #10 and #11 in the US and UK.

4. Kenny Saxton

Kenny Saxton Forum Resident

Smooth Criminal is not a numer one though

innuendo141 likes this.
  5. innuendo141

I stand corrected! #7 in the US and #8 in the UK!

6. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident Thread Starter

SHE’S TROUBLE

The songwriters, Terry Britten, Sue Shifrin and William Livsey, gave this song to Quincy for consideration on Thriller. Although Michael demoed the song, it didn’t make the album and the songwriters then gave the song to other artists to record and release. This is the first time Michael’s demo is being released. Pre-order #Thriller40 now: https://michaeljackson.lnk.to/Thriller40th

[​IMG]

7. innuendo141

Hopefully it will be the later recording that is included. I always loved this song and much preferred it to PYT. Between this and Behind The Mask, I'm already more than sold.

Later recording

andrewskyDE and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  8. innuendo141

https://twitter.com/mylhoney/status/1570955497322479616?s=20&t=rTrBIZOVrLIuMtlTU7LZWg

Someone swapped some number in the URL for the announcement of She's Trouble and found next week's song reveal which will supposedly be
    Edit: don't know why the spoiler function isn't working. Not hard to find the song title on Twitter or online.

Bink likes this.
  9. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Off The Wall on SACD.... I've got everything crossed for that!

C6H12O6 likes this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks for posting that. I found it very interesting and did not know much about the album’s backstory.

debased likes this.
  11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Supposedly it's in the pipeline per one of MFSL's social media comments.

dwilpower and groovelocked like this.
  12. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

And LP?

13. Kenny Saxton

Kenny Saxton Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The third song is The Toy.
    Some fans figured it out by changing the date in the link of previous announcement pic for She's Trouble at Michael Jackson official site.
    The song was written in 1981 for Richard Pryor's film of same name, and it is the early early early version of Best Of Joy.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ditto!

15. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

It is early early in the sense that MJ wrote it 20 years before he revisited it, but apparently it's basically the same song, with only a few words changed in the first line. We'll see.

16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Nah unless it's in surround. Would love to see John Kellogg open it up like his Chicago II DVD-Audio, mmmmm.

17. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

I really hope so, it's the album that established Jackson as an adult solo star. It's a stellar album that is too often left in the shadow of Thriller.

andy75 and groovelocked like this.
  18. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident Thread Starter

MrJerry1876, 905, Bink and 3 others like this.
  19. ShepPettiboneMix

ShepPettiboneMix Look, it’s not you, it’s me......

That can remain digital. Would be a complete waste of a disc.

20. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Yes, I believe that is on the digital component of this release. The tracks that they are drip feeding to us each week will be on the physical release.

JeffMo and ShepPettiboneMix like this.
  21. ShepPettiboneMix

ShepPettiboneMix Look, it’s not you, it’s me......

A third disc could have collected everything authentic that’s been released over the past 22 years. It really grates me the way demos and outtakes have been scattered to the wind. To collect the little that we’ve gotten from Thriller you need;

Thriller 2001 Special Edition
    The Ultimate Collection
    Thriller 25
    The Girl Is Mine with Will.I.Am 2008 single
    King of Pop Deluxe UK Edition
    King of Pop The French Fans Selection
    This Is It
    Michael
    Thriller 40

They could have easily collected the above on a 2nd bonus disc. It is after all, Thriller. It deserves so much more than what’s being released.

Sean, andy75, CrazyBrown and 6 others like this.
  22. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

You don't need to have Thriller 25 if you have the italian KOP comp. It contains both Carousel and Got The Hots. For All Time is a stunning track but from the Dangerous sessions with a newly recorded bridge vocal.

ShepPettiboneMix likes this.
  23. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Possibly linked to the Thriller anniversary, author J Randy Taraborelli has tweeted that he has been filming for a documentary about the Victory tour. Could be interesting.

Sean, groovelocked, andy75 and 3 others like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's continually disappointing that we've never gotten an official release of the "Victory" tour show -in any form.

I'd love a video release from "Triumph" tour as well, but at least we have an album from that one.

1984 was such a high-profile tour - just weird that there was never anything released from it!

25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, there's always this.
    (Watch out for this first few seconds if you're epileptic.)