Michael Jackson's "Thriller" - It was Toto Album...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gener8tr, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I don't hear it that way, the song basically sounds the same to me, except MJ singing. I am not saying it didn't change a bit, but anyone knows what song it is listening to the demo.

From what I read, Toto brought in a lot of ideas as well as completed songs. QJ alone didn't make that album what it is and I think if Toto didn't play on that album and bring ideas it would have sounded much different. Who do you think came up with the riff for Billie Jean ?

I think if it were your band, you would feel the same way. I think his beef is the band name Toto was never affiliated with the albums they played on. No one mentioned it in interviews and IMO, purposely hidden from public knowledge.

When is the last time anyone heard anyone mention Toto in the same breath as many of the albums they played on ? I can't remember any.

I think many of you guys are writing off the importance Toto had on the Thriller album, I think it was quite big and MJ was lucky to have that band playing on it, writing material and coming up with ideas for the songs.

2. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

There is no list there.
    What about like a top 20 hit songs featuring members of Toto list or something?

3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

What riff? I can't think of anything I would call a riff in Billie Jean. And Michael wrote that song without the help of Toto. Here's a home demo from 1981 with basically the instrumentation already set and pretty much everything except verse lyrics.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow!

You really can tell he had the groundwork for what he wanted the song to sound like all laid out there, even if the lyrics weren't finished yet.

Listening to his demos is always a very interesting experience because they're (mostly) so close to the finalized versions.

5. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

6. Actually, I would disagree somewhat. They chased trends a little with the album after IV (being more of a rock project), and perhaps a little in production style with Fahrenheit. After that, they only ever sounded like themselves, and they pursued a fairly uncommercial and decidedly not cheesy avenue from about 1992 onwards. The music has gotten better (although sometimes lacking that great Porcaro feel), and the song lyrics have improved too.

bruce2 likes this.
  7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Not a put down of the rest of the band, though Jeff to my ears stood out from the others (even considering that they're all great musicians). One of the very best drummers I've ever heard. His playing with Steely Dan and Boz Scaggs alone was enough for Jeff to be one of the greats. Jeff is like a duet partner of sorts on Boz's recordings with him.

http://www.bozscaggs.info/78510/html/page.html

24voltsdc, zebop and krock2009 like this.
  8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think if I fronted that project, there's a pretty good chance the album would be a piece of crap. :)

While I realize this is somewhat a matter of taste, I think Michael Jackson should qualify as more than a "decent" singer, even if he's not to your taste.

Somewhat along those lines, I feel his singing talent was a little wasted as he went more "pop" - I think while he was a very good pop singer, Michael was a great R&B and disco singer. His singing from say around 1975-80 is outstanding, and overall his best work to me. I think I'm veering too far away from the thread topic though.

zebop likes this.
  9. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Didn't Led Zeppelin say no to being on the cover of RS, at least initially?

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So head over here if you've not already participated! :wave:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/did-michael-jackson-peak-creatively-pre-thriller.343150/

MMM likes this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It being a sort of "lost Toto album" is pretty much the reason I occasionally listen to it. Much respect to Quincy & Michael, but it being in the R&B genre means that my favorite aspects of the album (i.e. the instrumentalists) are pushed to the background a bit too much for my taste. (obviously "Beat It" is a huge exception, but I think we've all heard that and "Billie Jean" enough for several lifetimes)

Same reason I love Boz Scaggs "Silk Degrees" but know virtually nothing else about him. Just picked that one up because it's basically a 2/3 of a Toto record.

12. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident

It's not documented in the liner notes who's on the specific tracks but most online Porcaro discographies have him down for this one track. It certainly sounds like it could be him. Wonderful drum track (if a little over-produced).

13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Sorry, meant Beat It.....haha!

14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I think the list I seen was under Steve Lukather.

15. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Perhaps not. You might be surprised at what technology at the hands of geniuses can accomplish. MJ could indeed sing good enough for a recording studio. But that album has a LOT of talent involved other than his. Enormous talent.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Have you heard "Working Day and Night" - the home demo with Randy and Janet playing percussion on glass bottles? That's just amazing. Just three teenage siblings working in a hit record.

Cloudbuster and bru87tr like this.
  17. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

It was a TOTO, Michael Jackson, Quincy Jones, Ted Templeton album. And the biggest selling album of all time. Because of all of them.

bru87tr likes this.
  18. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I know you mean Rod Temperton and I agree with your statement.

Really I don't know why people are taking a piss out on Lukather. He's a great player and in this case, he's right, Toto played a big role in Thriller's success. And yep, if I were him, I'd be a bit pissed about the lack of mentions and raves. The players no doubt did well for themselves--but the snickers, yacht rock goofs, etc do get to be tiresome...

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I have heard it and you're right! It's well worth owning the Off The Wall Special Edition for. :)

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Don't forget my man Paulinho Da Costa. The list of hit records he DIDN'T play on is longer than the list of the ones he did. He deserves some credit for it being the biggest selling album as well.

PH416156 likes this.
  21. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I still don't see a list exactly. Maybe it's a good idea for it's own thread.

From what I see on that wiki page it shows...
    Olivia Newton John - "Physical" (guitar solo)
    Michael Jackson - 'Beat It"
    George Benson - "Turn Your Love Around" (songwriter)

It mentions artists and some albums... but not specific tracks. You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find.

22. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Lukather_discography

23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Solos on Chicago "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" and Lionel Richie "Running With The Night"

ampmods likes this.
  25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.