Michael Legrand - Legrand Jazz 180g Impex Records reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jellis77, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't find a thread on this title which is a surprise. What can I say but wow I knew the music but this is truly the first time I have heard such amazing sonics from this title. Gatefold Stoughton jacket, pressed at RTI flat and very quiet - a quite brilliant reissue from the ever reliable team at Impex.

snorker likes this.
  2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Mono or stereo?

3. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I think this one is stereo. At least the cover says so

4. Jellis77

Yep sorry Stereo and mastered by Chris Bellman

5. sully12

sully12 Forum Resident

This is a stunner! Just got my copy today and was blown away. Not familiar with this title prior to purchasing. Great music and press/sonics are fantastic. Highly recommend.

scotti and Jellis77 like this.
  6. mariettiello

mariettiello Forum Resident

Anyone who can compare to original mono LP? Thanks

7. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Glad to see this. I am not too familiar with the title but I took a quick listen on a Spotify to see if I should go ahead. I thought it sounded very interesting. The very positive reviews are saying it’s outstanding and it’s 20% off at MD this weekend so I'm going to bite!

8. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I bought it a few months ago and agree with Michael Fremer: "Legrand Jazz" Gets Grand IMPEX AAA Reissue

9. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

One thing I didn't like about the stereo version is the bass is panned to one side for most if not all of the album. Is that the case here? I have a stereo CD and an original mono LP.

I love Michel Legrand and this album is amazing.

10. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Just ordered the SACD with high hopes -- I've never heard this before, but I've loved Legrand's soundtracks of the 60s and Miles and Coltrane '58 are pretty easy orders for me. Fingers crossed, RH

11. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Here is a comment on the new Impex vs. the original mono that was on the forum: The Jazz Beat

The post basically says it is a different perspective of the album and both are great. While the bass is hard panned in one of the channels (some may not like that) in the stereo version and has a bit more top end, the original mono has a great balanced presence to it you won't find in the stereo. Just different flavors and perspectives of the same album. Based on the post I linked, the stereo spaciousness is lost in the mono versions. If you love the album, might be a good idea to try to pick up a copy of both if you can at reasonable prices. If it is an album I love, I try to get both mixes, stereo and mono, as there are usually pros/cons to both mixes. I try to limit this to albums I love though - sometimes curiosity gets the best of me. :doh:

Rob Hughes likes this.
  12. Tim Albertson

Tim Albertson Forum Resident

funknik, juanmanuel and Johan1880 like this.
  13. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

I bet it will be sound even better than the 33rpm version. This is a very well recorded album. On 45 rpm this album will be a killer. No contest about it I think.

14. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

You’re probably right, but listening to the Impex 33 right now, I’m hard-pressed to imagine what could sound better. Some of the brass sounds a little thin when the whole group is blasting at once, perhaps the 45rpm will add a little “heft” to the lower midrange?

15. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

This has long been a favorite LP. I have the original mono & stereo LPs and just got the recent (single album) reissue and it sounds fantastic!

16. I just picked up a copy of the 33 version and while it sounds excellent it has low level noise in the (mainly in the right channel) throughout. Not crackle or clicks/pops, but just surface noise that is much louder than usual in my system. Has anyone else experienced this with this pressing? Wondering if it's worth trying another copy. It has been thoroughly cleaned.

I'm considering 3 options, keep it and suck it up, exchange for a second copy, or return it for a refund and try the 45 rpm version. I find the advantage of the 45 rpm format very real and audible in my system, though I typically play 33s more often due to convenience.

17. Jellis77

My 33rpm copy has no surface noise, so definitely worth trying another copy. I will throw this into the mix though - recently I picked up the 45rpm version in the Acoustic Sounds Winter Sale and whilst the 33rpm is stunning the 45rpm takes it to another level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.