Michael Moore addresses Bowling For Columbine critics

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grant, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Yep. He brought this up when I went and saw him at WSU in October. So far, the "critics" have yet to respond.

3. GregY

GregY New Member

I have a feeling this thread will be shortlived, but anyway ... having watched the film, I didn't find it to be anti-gun. Moore raises a lot of questions, points out a load of absurdities and more or less admits that guns aren't the problem: violent people are.

I wonder how many people who blasted the film actually saw it.

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

AFter seeing the film and reading that letter, I tend to believe him.

But that's just me!

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks for the link.

Staying away from a "political" discussion, I enjoyed the film very much. It brought me to tears, which no other movie has done that I can remember.

It's obvious Mr. Moore is an intelligent man, and his quips throw me into laughing fits. Eg:

Too funny!

I hope critics of the film would understand that (most likely) the only thing MM wants is fewer deaths of innocent people from guns. Who can argue with that?

6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I don't think very many, Greg. A lot of the brouhaha over the film actually came after Mike's infamous Oscar acceptance speech in March. People looked for reasons to hate him without having to go through the trouble of watching his films, viewing episodes of his documentary TV series, or reading his books.

So they just took the word of a few politically biased websites, and that was that.

By the way, Mike was very nice when I met him. He was in a big hurry, but he did sign my "Dude, Where's My Country" book and my Bowling For Columbine DVD. He actually looked me straight in the eye and apologized for being in such a hurry, which I thought was cool (he was on his way to Seattle for another lecture).

Can't wait for Farenheit 9/11. :thumbsup:

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What is this?

8. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

A film about the sham of our leaders on 9/11.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Interesting. Know of a release date?

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Sometime in September, 2004.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I saw Mike perusing a room filled with very expensive Stereo and MC HT equipment last year at a Stereophile Hi-Fi Show.

He looks the same in real life as he does in his movies ....rumpled.

I was hoping he was gonna do a film about some of the absurdities of the Hi End Stereo Game.:D

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I could see it now - "Bowling for SA-CD"! :D

13. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I too met Michael Moore a few years ago and he was very nice indeed.

He's a good example of an artist who I don't see eye to eye with politically, but I sure enjoy his work. It is possible to be entertained and sometimes even learn something from someone even if you don't agree with anything they preach. He does have talent and wit.

Think about the musical artists you like; which ones could you really become friends with? The answer for me would be not many, but I still dig listening to their work.

14. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Thanks for the commentary, Alan.

Closing thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.