Michell Gyro Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Nov 26, 2018.

1. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

You would need to upgrade the motor to DC as well before upgrading the PSU but I would anticipate that the upgrade would really worthwhile.
    There were some rumours on another thread. Not sure how true the part about an upgraded PSU for/that would work with the Gyro but equally no reason to doubt the source, @Andy Saunders IIRC. This is the video that was linked.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  2. superelmar

superelmar Well-Known Member

thank U all guys!

Michell Gyro SE ordered.

Now hesitating between these tonearms:

SME M2-9R
    Live Origin
    Rega 330
    or the Tecnoarm which I believe is a modified Rega.

Would be for my Clearaudio Maestro V2 or maybe a Nagaoka MP-500 I always wanted to try.

Hooked to my Audio Research i/50 phono stage.

33na3rd, GyroSE, MGW and 3 others like this.
  3. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

What arm is it coming with?

4. GyroT

GyroT Forum Resident

I put a tecnoarm on mine and think it is brilliant. Allows for adjustment of VTA, and a range of differently weighted carts without too much fussing. Pretty much set and play. Would only swap it for a top notch SME, but I like my tecnoarm so much, I don't think I ever will.

Pancat likes this.
  5. superelmar

mmm wondering if it would be too much of a difference between tecnoarm 2 and SME M2-9R... I like "S" shape tonearms.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The SME is a nice arm, I have the 12" version, but it is way overpriced these days, more than twice what it was just a few years ago, I used a TechnoArm on my Gyro SE, it's an excellent choice, gone up a bit, but still good value, able to handle expensive MCs, sounds great and also looks the part on a Gyro, it's worth looking for a used near mint SME 309 or IV and I'd also add the Audiomods arm to your list for consideration: http://www.audiomods.co.uk/

33na3rd, GyroSE and LakeMountain like this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Just to add, I'd get the Gyro SE with the HR power supply and the TechnoArm before a much more expensive arm and no HR, the HR is pretty much essential to appreciate how good the Gyro is, also get the clamp and consider the Orbe spindle/clamp upgrade.

Pancat likes this.
  8. superelmar

I can get these for this price:

SME M2-9R 1.500€ (sealed box)
    Tecnoarm 2 1.300€ (sealed box)

Are the SME IV or V much better? Dealer told me that REGA arms for the price give a wipe to the other ones (but also says Tecnoarm is gorgeous).

Thanks for the audiomods, gonna have a look.

9. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

TA adjustment of the SME IV is a bit cumbersome, if you want to correct for different thicknesses of records. I was using spacers with my previous TT to do that. However, since I use the Gyro SE and the Orbe clamp it is not sensitive anymore to varying record thickness! :). I have no idea why this is, but it just sounds great!

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That is an excellent price for the SME, must be old stock, current UK retail is £3100, TechnoArm 2 is £1000, SME IV is better, but how much better is a matter for debate and not for current cost, you could also consider the top Rega arm the Rega RB 3000 £1400 here, if I were you for the prices you have been quoted I'd get the SME M2-9R, you can't lose at that price, but still get the HR power supply.

11. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

It makes a beautiful combination.

[​IMG]

Dubmart, popol_vuh, 33na3rd and 2 others like this.
  12. superelmar

I’m ordering HR now and SME, thanks so much!

I wish I don’t make a mistake not going for tecnoarm or top rega arm.

Thanks so much.

BTW: Nagaoka MP-500 or Clearaudio Maestro V2?

GyroSE and Dubmart like this.
  13. Alf_1988

Alf_1988 Forum Resident

Both are great cartridges but they'll give you a very different presentation. Clearaudio cartridges are detailed but overall brighter than Nagaokas. In turn, while the MP-500 isn't exactly dark, it does have a very smooth top end. Whichever sounds best to you will depend on the rest of your system and listening preferences.

14. superelmar

Will try both, having a SME M2-9R is easy to swap headshells.

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm not at all familiar with the Clearaudio and haven't used a Nagoaka in many, many years so can't help on that, for MMs I tend to lean towards Audio Technicas or Ortofons, see if you can order a spare SME head shell at the same time, not cheap, but it will make life a lot easier for cartridge swapping.

33na3rd likes this.
  16. superelmar

Done! they will provide me a spare one!

They also told me Tecnoarm 2 is a modified RB3000 and best match for Gyro it’s SME IV or V but I’m great with M2-9R.

MGW likes this.
  17. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Congrats! ;)

I believe the TecnoArm 2 is a modified RB202, please correct me if I'm wrong- the RB3000 is something different. Best match for the Gyro (as well as the Orbe) is probably SME 309, IV or V but the M2-9R is also an excellent choice.

Dubmart, 33na3rd and MGW like this.
  18. superelmar

btw: what U think bout Ortofon TA-110 or Audio Note Three? same price range, little bit cheaper.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Andy Saunders likes this.
  19. superelmar

thanks!

GyroSE likes this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Audio Note is probably overpriced for what it is, you rarely if ever see them on non Audio Note decks, I think the Ortofon is a rebadged Jelco, decent, but not in SME territory, to a certain extent you need to think about matching the cart and arm, the SME is very versatile so will likely be good whichever cart you choose, as would the Michell.

GyroSE likes this.
  21. superelmar

aaah a Jelco rebranded! Heard good things bout 550/750/950…

22. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Congrats! You've bought a deck that works very well with a wide array of great tonearms.

Regarding tonearms - if you go cheaper, all rega variants work very well with the Gyro.

Above that, I'd avoid all SME arms today because of their absurd prices. But if you stumble upon used 309/IV/V for a good price, jump on it because it's a classic combination with Gyro. I wouldn't go for M2 personally.

Another great and affordable option that punches way above its price is Audiomods series VI. A great tonearm that can accomodate pretty much any cartridge and also a tried and well documented combo with the Gyro.

Some people also use Moerch tonearms with the Gyro and are very satisfied. Origin live with its upper models is also a great contender. Some guys in England use Audio Note tonearms with the Gyro and are very satisfied as well.

All of these arms should be much better than lower end regas and its modifications (which arms are freaking fantastic for their price, don't get me wrong). But if you find top-model rega that goes on the current P10 (not older RP10), that's a marvellous tonearm that I'm sure would work incredibly well with the Gyro.

GyroSE likes this.
  23. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

It is now February and no sign of the new feet yet......

I have the AN Arm3 v2 on my maxxed out Gyro SE and it sounds incredible- had the Arm 1 v2 before that and sounded soooo musical as well- only thing with the Arm 3 are the headshell clips attached to the cable- it is really thin.... sound is glorious though. :drool:

popol_vuh likes this.
  24. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

I wholeheartedly second the bold part. I wouldn't be able to live with a TT that's without a good screw-down clamping system anymore. Note that I'm not talking about the regular Michell clamp, but the Orbe threaded spindle/clamp you can buy for your Gyro.

Dubmart - regarding your HR PSU comment, are you talking out of experience? If so, can you please share more of your thoughts? I'm asking because I'm constantly on the fence whether to change the original papsr AC/ first generation Gyropower PSU for the DC/HR (or new PSU if it comes out for the Gyro) or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2023
    GyroSE and Pancat like this.
  25. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

A great tonearm but AM series VI is even better. Jeff also uses Gyro as one of his test decks when he designs tonearms, so it's pretty much guaranteed they'll work well together.

GyroSE and Andy Saunders like this.