Michell Gyro Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Nov 26, 2018.

1. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

That TT/arm combo (I see you went for M9) deserves a much better cart, if you can afford it and your phono stage works well with it.

2. superelmar

superelmar Well-Known Member

thing I'd like to stay away from step up a little bit, got the i/50 from audio research with a phono card, only takes MM...

Regarding tonearms, maybe I can go back and order any of the other "straight" not S shape tonearm which all of You favors...

3. I've had mine for a little under a year. I went with the Gyro SE, Orbe clamp, Audiomods Series 6 and a Nag MP 500. For a phono pre amp I chose the Darlington Mods MP-7. Very, very happy with it. I've been holding of getting either the Michell HR PSU or the True Point Audio PSU until we see what the new Michell 1 is all about.

Gratuitous Gyro pic...

[​IMG]

Kray, Classicrock, GyroSE and 9 others like this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well, it's nearly twenty years ago, so things are getting hazy, but for me the HR was a definite and obvious upgrade, much more so than switching to the DC motor, as far as I recall the most obvious was tighter, better as in more accurate bass, I don't recall what else, but I was very satisfied with how the HR improved my Gyro, also as a bonus you can adjust speed and get it dead on if you need to.

I think that Michell should just use the Orbe threaded spindle on the Gyro as well, it would be better and make life easier for people, though I guess at £100 a time it's good income for them.

GyroSE, Pancat, MGW and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

He's been offered the SME for under half current UK retail, I'd grab one at that price.

GyroSE and popol_vuh like this.
  6. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Yeah, that changes things 100%. I was responding prior to reading that bit.

Thank you for your response about HR. Also, I agree completely that Orbe spindle/clamp should be default on Gyro as well. Even if they raised the price of Gyro by what they charge for this upgrade, that'd be cool IMO. It's just how it's supposed to be with that clamping system. I've forgotten what a warped record looks like when put on a TT with this system.

GyroSE, Pancat and Dubmart like this.
  7. superelmar

What bout Tecnoarm A vs Tecnoarm 2?

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I suspect very few of us are familiar with the 2, the original is excellent though and much cheaper.

9. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

There is still an argument to be had between the SME Vs the Audiomods. From what I read the AM 6 creeps up on the SME IV and V and the price can't be ignored.

The guy is going to be happy whichever route he takes, asking as it's bolted to a Michell turntable.

10. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

I agree he's going to be happy with whatever he chooses. Personally, I was after an used SME IV for quite some time, but that was already when SME stopped selling their tonearms separately and the prices skyrocketed. Finally, I said "screw it" and went for a new Audiomods Series VI. I don't see changing it...except for a further AM upgrade when/if it comes. A very versatile arm. With cartridge-holding plates of different mass and modular counterweight, you can influence its effective mass a lot. With my Benz Wood I'm using heavy plate for the cartridge and all of the counterweight bits, with counerweight very close to tonearm's pivot point.

GyroSE, Dubmart and myles like this.
  11. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

@popol_vuh the AM 6 is extremely versatile - I am biased though as I own one too. Someone described it as stepping out of the way and letting the cartridge do its work and I can't argue with that.

popol_vuh likes this.
  12. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

That deck looks great and that EMI100 pressing of Hunky Dory is also spectacular. :agree:

Soundhead likes this.
  13. superelmar

Cannot find the Audiomods 6 in their website, is kind of weird.

14. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Top left menu, "new series six arms/series six". Yeah, it's a really old website, Jeff should upgrade it.

15. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

16. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I’ve a TecnoArm A mounted on my Gyro SE and as @Dubmart says it’s a very good tonearm. It’s based on the classic Rega RB250 but it’s heavily modified and was on par with the best Rega tonearms that was on the market around 15 - 20 years ago. Some people back then even claimed that the TecnoArm was very close performance-wise to the SME IV and V. But I must say I like the SME IV better than the TecnoArm, better dynamics and a dream to handle and adjust when compared to the TecnoArm. The SME tonearms are like made for the Michell decks.

LakeMountain, MGW and Dubmart like this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

We both have used both arms and I agree with you that the SME is better, but these days it's so overpriced, you can get five or six TechnoArms for one SME IV, glad I have one, but if shopping in the current market would choose something else.

GyroSE and 33na3rd like this.
  18. superelmar

thanks guys!

Got the M2-9R but seriously considering one cheaper like AM, Tecnoarm or live origin, I might can trade M2-9R for IV adding a thousand more.

19. superelmar

I just might keep the SME stored and use a cheaper option, very intrigued by tecnoarm and audiomods 6.

GyroSE and Dubmart like this.
  20. superelmar

ended up buying an Audiomods 6.

One month waiting at least, cannot wait!

Thanks all of U for the kind help!

Andy Saunders, chili555, MGW and 5 others like this.
  21. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Good stuff. If you have the money, go for the SME as well, because that's a very good price.

If you need help with setup of AM6 when it arrives, ask here. And give us your impressions. You can really set up everything (including azimuth) on that tonearm.

In the meantime, ask Jeff directly which cartridge plate and counterweight configuration to use with the cartridge you intend to use. He'll know the best.

chili555 and MGW like this.
  22. superelmar

I'll do it today, thanks so much, will keep You updated!

popol_vuh likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My view is the price asked for an M2-9R now is a total rip off. It was a £1500 arm until SME stopped supplying arms 3 or 4 years ago. There are a lot of Origin Live models at all prices so stick to something price appropriate (don't know how they sound on Gyro). Would suggest stick to RB330 if limited budget or for £1k+ the Tecnoarm or the Rega RB3000 with Michell VTA kit. Otherwise the Audionote Arm 2 or 3 is a good fit as well as the Audiomods series 6 arm. The later might be the biggest bargain.

superelmar, GyroSE and popol_vuh like this.
  24. superelmar

btw guys, which MM do U recommend between these ones:

Clearaudio Maestro V2
    Nagaoka MP-500
    MoFi Mastertracker
    AT 750SH
    2M Black

Any from Grado?

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  25. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I use and highly recommend the Hana SL. If you don't want to get lost in the rabbit hole of step-ups, winding ratios, transformers, etc., then consider the Hana SH.

Andy Saunders and 33na3rd like this.