Michell Orbe vs SME 10

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TonyUK, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyUK

TonyUK Active Member Thread Starter

Hello

I was very close to buying a new gyrodec a while ago (it would be a massive upgrade from my project 1.3 genie). But have been put off by the large price hike £200 each year. So started looking at used. I still really like the Gyrodec and missed out lately on what would have been perfect for me by not responding quickly enough. In my searches I have also seen Orbes and the odd SME 10 which seem tempting (though really more that I intended to spend). Whats the difference between these, which is better. I've never heard either, but heard a gyrodec and loved it.

I use a 20 year old Linn majik with LK140 and keilidh speakers which I'm quite happy with, though at some point maybe a speaker refresh is due.

Tony

2. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Back in the late 90’s the Orbe SE and the SME 10 were rivals in the same price bracket. Both are great sounding high quality turntables, the Orbe is a suspended construction and the SME 10 is non suspended. If you like the Gyro then I think you’ll like the Orbe as well but the SME 10 is very good too, try to visit an audio dealer to listen to these decks to compare them as sound perception is something personal.

Dubmart likes this.
  3. TonyUK

I know what you mean about perception. I guess I do need to listen myself. Though I don't like being a time waster to a dealer where I have no intention of buying from them

Andy Saunders likes this.
  4. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Yes it’s very personal. As you can see in my profile I’ve two favourites- I like how the Michell decks do reproduce music and sound but that doesn’t make the SME 10 any inferior as it’s a great turntable. I’ve a good friend that has a SME 10 so I from time to time have the chance to go to his place and listen to music played through his sound system- it’s indeed a great performer too. My advice to you is to try to audition both (or maybe all three) turntables, it might take some of your time but in the end it’s well invested time as you for sure can decide which deck suits your ears the best.

ThorensSme likes this.
  5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Hi. I would set some kind of budget to start, even if only to get a number in your mind. There are lots of great decks around whether it’s Michell, SME, Nottingham, Rega (RP8, 10) etc. I wouldn’t rush it and try to hear the decks if you can. Keep a look out for used bargains e.g. on eBay, but as you say you sometimes need to jump in quick. You can pick up a very nice Gyro SE for under £2k, including the Techno arm and the HR PSU - prices vary though. I’ve not heard the SME and I’m sure it is lovely, but even used I would guess it’s closer to £3k or more. Bear in mind you can upgrade the SE to an Orbe later by adding the platter kit from Michell...better sound but arguably you lose some of the looks. The new RP8 is about the same price as the previous model - £2.4k all in, and there are some nice used RP10s for just a bit more. Ex demo models can be good buys and also give you a legitimate reason to visit a dealer.

6. TonyUK

It was the gyro I started lusting after. As far as not rushing I've seen 2 £200 increases on the new price of a gyro at beginning of last year and just recently (and from what I've seen they seam to hold their price a lot better than others). Whenever I've heard Rega decks, I just don't seem to get on with them. My concern with used is how well its been looked after/maintained. It seems to me my best course is used through a dealer. That way its been seen by someone who should be able to properly evaluate its condition. I would like to go new for peace of mind. But what amounts to a lot more that 20% increase in 2 years I just cant stomach (I bet the people who make them haven't had a 20% pay increase). So although I know setting a budget is good advice; it isn't as much fun and once I do eventually take the plunge I don't want to get tempted into the upgrade path. I'd rather get what I want from the start.

If anyone can suggest any dealer in reasonable distance from London to keep an eye on that would be great

clercqie likes this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think you've had some good advice, I'll add that the Orbe is a much better deck that the Gyro SE, especially if you can get a SME IV or V to go with it, Michell's spec hasn't changed much in the last few years so if buying used check the original purchase date and you should be able to work out how close to current it is, Michell have excellent customer service and will happily update your deck, but that comes at a cost, although less than SME service costs.

The SME 10 is also an excellent deck, I chose the Orbe, but did give the SME serious consideration, If at all possible you need to listen to both for yourself and also to the Rega RP10 at the very least, plus maybe the Notts Analogue, Roksan Xerxes 20+, Funk Firm and the new Vertere, all different approaches and different looks, but excellent decks. If you don't want to stretch your budget so high then a used Gyro SE/HR and decent arm or the Rega Planar 8 will get you very good performance for a lot less cash.

8. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

No, a GyroDec/Gyro SE with an Orbe platter will never be a fully evolved Orbe. A Gyro with an Orbe platter sounds different than an original Orbe- it's not a Gyro nor an Orbe, it's something else soundwise- "The Gorbe".

9. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Tony

I think you’re looking at three excellent turntables. You will not go wrong with either of the three. The Gyro is the best looking in my view (iconic actually) and seems to be the one you like, so just get one. It’s less expensive than the other two while still sounding great. Side by side with the same arm and cartridge you might hear a difference (not everyones hearing is the same) among the three but it’s not night and day so buy the one that gives you joy.

I have an SME 10A from a dealer I supported until his retirement. I love it (no muss no fuss-just quality) but Michell is also a great company. And did I mention the Gyro looks great.

Just have fun and buy one !

GyroT, Pancat, Sugar Man and 2 others like this.
  10. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I haven't heard the SME 10 but my friend has the 15/V combo and it is really nice. Hard to imagine it gets better, really. That said, I prefer my Gyro/SME 309 combo more. But that's a preference thing. You cannot go wrong with either turntable, and to an extent you can tune the sound preference with the cartridge/phono preamp choice. Both tables will last you a lifetime with proper care. If you go the Michell Gyro route, I think the HR PSU upgrade is really important to getting the most out of this table. Paired with an SME arm, it is an excellent turntable. The Orbe comes with its own upgraded power supply (I believe). As @Clay B put it, you cannot go wrong.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The Michell Orbe has a Tacho speed loop control built into the motor. This makes it more speed stable and sound different. Close to DD speed stability and lacking a slight sheen to the sound the Gyro has. Power supply is special to the Orbe and has a 33/45 speed change built into current models. I would say the proper Orbe is a substantial sound upgrade.

ThorensSme and GyroSE like this.
  12. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

The Gyro is becoming more expensive by the day! I'm saving up for one, since it's my dream table but...

Last I checked it was already listed at €2600 around here. Add €800 for the HR supply and you still need a tonearm and cart. Yikes...

13. TonyUK

Thanks for all the advice. I guess its now down to what I see come up for sale. But Clay I think your dead right about the looks.

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

You can still get it for under £2000 with a Rega arm, although the Technoarm is much nicer, HR is £533 and I'd expect you could negotiate at least 10% off that if buying them both, so a trip to the UK would save you at least 500 Euros, more than enough for a new plug.

GyroSE likes this.
  15. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I would look for an used Gyro- a real bargain IMHO.

Pancat likes this.
  16. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Crappy belt drives! Get a Technics SL-1200...you know it makes sense! ;):D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  17. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Over-generalization is over-generalized. :sigh:

geodiak, ThorensSme and GyroSE like this.
  18. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

It was just a joke, thought I attached enough smilies! Oh well, guess my humour doesn't travel too well. :sigh:

Fishoutofwater and geodiak like this.
  19. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Three years ago I had the same problem, in the end I decided to buy an SME 10 with a V arm. I am totally satisfied, operating the turntable and the arm is a pleasure everytime and the sound is stellar. Probably the Orbe would have been just as good, but not a single detail is telling me I could have chosen better.

20. gov

gov Forum Resident

What's the "word on the street" with these two...as in what do most people say each sounds like? I've head the Michell tables and LOVE them but never heard an SME that I can remember.

21. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

l have a Maxxed out Gyrodec and it sounds amazing- the dealer l brought it from is a Michell and SME dealer..... l enquired about the SME 10 as an upgrade ( l would have put an SME V on it) and although he said he would sell me a 10 warned against it saying it was 'very neutral' he further went on to say it was not the 'most entertaining deck in the world'.....however if you like neutral then that is good.

The Orbe on the other hand is like a Gyro on steroids..... so depends on what sound you are looking for l suppose.

Good luck.:D

Pancat, RONENRAY, gov and 1 other person like this.
  22. Andy Saunders

That said the SME Model 10 and Orbe do look cool a nice problem to have.:)

23. gov

gov Forum Resident

And which side of neutral would you say the gyrodec is on?

KT88 likes this.
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Obviously there are many variables, but I'd say the Michells are close and closer to being neutral platforms with the HR power supply taking the Gyro up a notch or two particularly in the bass department, and the Orbe giving a lot more of everything except colouration, with the deck itself being something of a neutral platform the choice of arm and cart can be used to give the sound the character you choose or to build on it's neutrality, as for the SME 10 I'd say it's neutral in a similar way to the Orbe, in a good way and not a more "boring" neutrality that the SME 20 could perhaps be described as, so all three of the decks we are discussing are neutral in a good and enjoyable way.

I owned a Gyro SE for about twenty years and tried it with several arms and carts, I've owned my Orbe for more than a decade and also tried various arms and carts, my experience with both SMEs is much more limited and with the 20 it was back in the 1990s so current ones may sound better, or as with the Orbe a different cart or phono stage could give it's sound a balance more to my liking, I came very close to buying a SME 10 and don't really have any criticisms of it as a platform, I'd happily give one house room and would find a direct comparison between it, my Orbe and my Roksan 10, with an identical SME arm and identical cart very interesting, I already have SME arm boards, I suspect the result would be very close between the three. The Gyro SE is the most beautiful deck of them all, but even with the HR and a SME IV, it's limitations become very apparent in a head to head with decks from the next level up which I guess is why I let mine go.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Pancat, RONENRAY, GyroSE and 2 others like this.
  25. Andy Saunders

@gov My personal Gyro slightly warm and highly musical, with great musicality, and a very large soundstage- however given the chance l would like to hear the SME 10.:)

Arm wise, l went from an SME V to an Audionote Arm 1v2 and the deck got ridiculously musical.... So much so that l will eventually purchase the Arm 3, another thing that took the Gyro up loads of notches were Pete' pylons, that replace the spring suspension and incorporate a rubber band suspension ( think SME 20/30)..... l love my Gyro... But do understand it is not the best in the world.... But my one now sounds pretty special l feel.

All that aid l do think about upgrading... Sometimes- this madness never stops!:D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.