Michell Orbe vs SME 10

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TonyUK, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyUK

TonyUK Active Member Thread Starter

Found the website for the dealer and bookmarked it. I guess the IV is considered quite superior to the 309

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

How much superior is open to debate, but it's colour does match a silver finished Gyro exceptionally well.:D

On a more serious note I use one on my Orbe and am very happy with my choice, it's an excellent arm and almost certainly better value than the ex dem 309 which was the main point I was trying to make.

GyroSE likes this.
  3. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I also have a IV on my Orbe SE and I like it very much but if I was about to get a SME arm today I would go for the 309 as it’s not that far behind the other two. So the IV isn’t that much superior to the 309.

MGW likes this.
  4. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@TonyUK

How did you get along?

5. Andy Saunders

Just a curiosity question l have my Gyro ( with every upgrade conceivable on it) Audionote Arm 1 /Hana SL cartridge and it is incredibly musical... would a new Orbe /SME V/Hana SL ( and suspension/ armboard upgrades to the Orbe) give me the same musicality whilst having higher fidelity to boot?:)

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

An Orbe +SME is far better than the Gyrodec plus Rega. Considering the SME price hikes I would stick with the Audionote arm. What do you mean by spring and arm upgrades? With the current Michell springs it is a big upgrade (personally sceptical v aftermarket changes touted on forums as they alter the functionality of the suspension). Plonking an Orbe platter on a Gyro is not the same. Honestly a V is now way too expensive new at over £5K. A 309 is close but that is £2.4K, nearly double I paid 2.5 yrs ago.

alan967tiger likes this.
  7. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

I agree with the wise words of Classicrock.
    I don't think a new SME V is worth £5200; if I'm honest, I couldn't tell any difference between the 309 and the V. An Orbe and AN arm would be a great combo.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yes, but don't pay current prices for the SME, buy used or keep your current arm, current SME pricing is ridiculous and must be costing them lots of lost sales.

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Trouble is as sales drop they keep putting up prices. I also think they are only interested in overseas sales. Frankly I will laugh if the current owner runs it into the ground and sells up. They are also asking a ridiculous price for a Garrard 301 assembled from new old stock. There is a company remaking them from new for less under the name 'Classic 301'. Also have more spares than Loricraft ever supplied.

10. Andy Saunders

Thanks chaps, l already own an SME V ( year 2000 vintage) which is on a tweaked Technics SL1200 in the lounge so that will go on my new T/T eventually... an looking at an Orbe, and a few other T/Ts in the Autumn, to play with along side my Gyrodec, however it is finding time to listen to ones l have in mind.

PS Agree about the SME price hike, it is a shame.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Orbe is a fantastic deck whichever arm you use with it, but the synergy you get with an SME V is something special, although I have an Orbe I've managed to listen to much of the competition, it will be interesting for you to share your opinions as you demo them, I'm happy with my choice, but much of the competition is also excellent, there aren't any bad UK built choices in that price range, just different emphasis when it comes to sound and very different looks, even the build quality is mostly of an excellent standard.

Andy Saunders and GyroSE like this.
  12. Andy Saunders

@Dubmart What other decks did you audition Sir?:)

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well the amount of time spent listening varies, but apart from the Orbe I own a Xerxes 10 and have listened to the top Regas, (I really rate the previous 10), Audio Notes, ( sound good, but don't do it for me), whatever the top Pr0-jects were back then, (not for me), VPIs, Wilson Benesch, Technics GAE/GR, Brinkmann, older decks like Townsend, Linn LP12s and Pink Triangles, (I'd buy without hesitation if I stumbled across a well priced one), Aristons, Systendeks etc., I also own a host of vintage idlers and had a Gyro SE sat alongside my Orbe for many years. The glaring UK gaps in my listening experience are Nottingham Analogue and Vertere, also I haven't heard whatever the top Funk Firm offering is.

I had an original Xerxes and wanted to get one again as I really liked the Roksan sound, though I've ended up with my Xerxes 10 sounding more like my Orbe than my Xerxes, not necessarily a bad thing, but not intended, I could live with a Xerxes 20+ and I could probably live with a Rega 10 though it has a different presentation to the Michell, likewise a SME, I'd say they are all excellent and it gets down to personal taste in looks and how they present music, plus cost, arms and carts also become a significant part of the equation as those decks all do their part very well. I'd guess that both the Notts Analogue and Vertere would qualify for that group.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  14. Orbe

Orbe Forum Resident

I have an origin live illustrious on my Orbe se. It is a very good arm that sounds amazing and vastly cheaper than a sme.

33na3rd and Andy Saunders like this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Pretty much everything is vastly cheaper than a SME these days.:cry:

33na3rd likes this.
  16. Orbe

Orbe Forum Resident

Not much in it when I bought 15 years ago the IV was about the same price the V was about £400 more expensive. The new illustrious is £1805 now it has only gone up in price by about £300.

17. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I have the Gyrodec with SME309, I have never felt the need to upgrade as the sound is fabulous.
    The visuals also seem to match quite well to me, industrial chic! As someone said of my 309, that's not an arm that's a crane! (He was not referring to birds!)

18. MGW

Should have added that I did have it repaired with Van Den Hul a few years ago, so continuous from cartridge to phono plugs (not all of it obviously but the wires from the cartridge do go all the way).
    Significant improvement, not crazy but we'll we'll the relatively minor cost.

19. MGW

My SME309 has a black finish which is a near perfect match for the black suspended chassis of my Gyrodec Bronze.
    These things are important unless one lives alone!

20. MGW

=rewired

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.