Micky Dolenz - The MGM Singles Collection (Monkees)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IainLee, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Is Amazon going to be able to ship this for release day delivery or do that have to wait for it to come in from overseas?

D-rock likes this.
  2. IainLee

IainLee Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I BELIEVE Amazon US has stock already, they ordered quite a few from us.

Here's a brief ad for the album

3. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Received email confirmation that the CD has shipped from Amazon and will arrive tomorrow.

D-rock likes this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Seriously? You want the original artwork when they obviously spent many months as a labor of love to create the reissue artwork

[​IMG]

According to the liner notes, this is the artwork as the band originally conceived it, and it was only because of Capitol that the other artwork was used. They were glad to finally have the budget and time to produce artwork that full realized their ideas.

Grand_Ennui, gottafeelin and D-rock like this.
  5. gottafeelin

Mine shipped today as well, but it won't arrive until Monday. Oh well, the new Tuns album is coming tomorrow.

6. gottafeelin

The cd arrived today and it is a thing of beauty! Congrats to those who worked on it, it was obviously put together with love.

I was shocked to see the full contents of the recent EP on this compilation. What a nice surprise!

D-rock likes this.
  7. IainLee

So pleased you all seem to like it! Thanks for your support.

PhoffiFozz, Hep Alien, intv7 and 6 others like this.
  8. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Great release Iain!!
    What's the sources for the Love Light and To Be Or Not To Be singles ?

9. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Got mine yesterday and listened this morning. So nice to have these songs on CD as I'm a primarily digital listener. Thank you, Iain!

Galley likes this.
  10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

11. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Excellent set! really enjoyed it. Great liner notes as well.

12. songsmith

songsmith Forum Resident

Fantastic CD, Iain! I've had the singles on vinyl for years, but this was still a new listening experience. For some reason "Unattended In the Dungeon" and "Love War" seemed to have new life breathed into them with the transfer. And "Oh, Someone" has been a favorite of mine for years.

You've blown me away with the inclusion of the Japanese and 7a singles. "Chance of a Lifetime" is a new solo-Monkees favorite.

Congratulations on a job VERY well done!

DaveJ and D-rock like this.
  13. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Fantastic package, Iain! Really appreciated the bonus tracks rounding out the story, including the recent tracks. All of this material was new to me, so this has been a revelation.

Galley and D-rock like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I lost track of this thread. To recap, the cd has been released after all? If so, is it sourced from needledrops or master tapes? Curious! :)

15. IainLee

Yes. It's available from Amazon worldwide with 12 bonus tracks and an updated booklet. The majority of the tracks are from master tapes. Off the top of my head I think 3 are from needle drops. But. You'd never be able to tell which ones!

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Sweet news...and needledrops don't bother me, either :) I'm looking forward to hearing your hard work.

I'm in!!!!

D-rock likes this.
  17. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

I only just found out about this CD release and have immediately added it to the Christmas list. Well done to Iain and associates for getting it together.

D-rock likes this.
  18. IainLee

Really glad you like it!

On a side note, some of you may be interested in the DVD release of Keep Off My Grass, the early 70's movie starring Micky. It's been a labour of love and cost me an absolute fortune but...it's here
    Keep Off My Grass! »

PhoffiFozz and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Got it. Thank you. Will support all your releases. True labor of loves and well done.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

I checked Amazon this evening for something else and look what appeared on my Recommended for You section.

Micky Dolenz "Sunny Girlfriend b/w Zor and Zam" Live in Japan 1982.

Sorry... can't figure out how to post the link.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I just got the CD. Awesome job, Ian and company!

Just curious about a couple of things: Including the bonus tracks on the CD, does this encompass all of Micky Dolenz's *released* solo material from the 1970s?

I seem to remember a couple of "stray" international (non-U.S.) singles (which I don't personally have), one called "I'm Your Man" and another being a track from the musical Bugsy Malone. But this is essentially the majority of his solo stuff from that era, right?

Regarding the two mixes of "Daybreak" (one mono and one stereo) -- I remember reading that there are supposed to be two variations of the single. I remember a note in one of Jerry Osborne's record price guides saying something like "reissued with clearer mix," whatever that is supposed to mean. Was it really a simple mono/stereo difference?

Other unreleased songs mentioned in the notes like "Wing Walker," "Purple People Eater," etc. -- obviously they were out of reach for this project for whatever reasons, but do you know one way or another...I hope these weren't casualties of the Universal fire (but who knows).

I enjoyed the interview too. It's refreshing when these guys get asked something "new," that they haven't already answered a thousand times over. Interesting back story on how all these sessions happened.

"Buddy Holly Tribute," "Ooh She's Young," "Love Light" and "Alicia" are the needle drops, right? (I couldn't really tell, but I think that's what the booklet says.)

22. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

Just got the CD in the mail-the sound is great! Thanks to everyone who worked on making this set.

23. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Thanks for releasing the definitive Dolenz set for his early singles. Excellent work.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently listening to the CD.
    The vinyl is on my want list.

Darryl

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.