Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

From your history, is there a minimum shipping requirement for the sturdy packaging? IE, the more expensive the option, the better the packing? I might do this with my wife's Prime account, so whatever shipping service comes with that...

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The albums I've ordered didn't have a minimum, I only ordered one at a time over the years, they came shipped like the shippers US has. The inner cardboard and then an outer cardboard. Not sure how something that massive would be shipped :laugh:

bferr1 likes this.
  3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They have been known in the past to use oversized boxes where the product can bounce around in transit, I have had a few box sets arrive that way. I have only had to return one set due to major damage and they were very professional handling the return. :)

The item I had to return was not cheap so high price does not guarantee better packaging. This occurred over 3 years ago mind you, lately the box sets have come double boxed (Cream, Floyd, Who, APP).

bferr1 and c-eling like this.
  4. c-eling

I've heard, well read stories here Barry stating that. The closest to anything large I've ordered was from Amazon Germany, the And One 3lp set. Was packaged pretty tight, no issues. With large sets I could imagine some possible issues.

eelkiller likes this.
  5. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Mylene, c-eling and Bonddm like this.
  6. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

7. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

My one worry was that they may not be able to bring the rock at their advanced age. No longer worried.

mkhannah and jo66hn like this.
  8. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Indeed. It's been a while and they are no longer spring chickens but it looks like they'll still bring it. I can't wait to see them.

9. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Will be seeing them in about a month. Can't wait!

(Have not been this excited about a show since Kate Bush)

zphage likes this.
  10. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

The band has just posted a set list and a live clip on Instagram. Oh, my, giddy aunt. They are going to be playing stuff off of Head Injuries. It's been a while since they have truly mined their back catalog. AND Hirsty has his old three hanging tom drum set complete with 80s drums. I'm going to be so, so, so, happy.

Instagram post by Midnight Oil • Apr 13, 2017 at 3:00pm UTC

zphage likes this.
  11. Love Blue Sky Mining....a very strong album!

12. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Sounds like they blew the roof off of Selinas in Sydney last night. Two and a half hour show. Here's the setlist:

SET LIST — SELINA’S, APRIL 13
    1. Outside World

2. Only the Strong

3. Redneck Wonderland

4. Put Down That Weapon

5. Maralinga

6. Cold Cold Change

7. Section 5 (Bus To Bondi)

8. Back On the Borderline

9. Koala Sprint

10. No Reaction

11. Stand In Line

12. Profiteers

13. Is It Now?

14. Tin Legs and Tin Mines

15. When the Generals Talk

16. Common Ground

17. Luritja Way

18. The Dead Heart

19. Power and the Passion

20. B est Of Both Worlds

21. Shakers and Movers

22. Lucky Country

23. Beds Are Burning

24. Blue Sky Mine

25. Read About It

ENCORE 1

26. Wedding Cake Island

27. Forgotten Years

28. Dreamworld

ENCORE 2

29. US Forces

c-eling, zphage, Mylene and 1 other person like this.
  13. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

Wow, what a set list! All of Head Injuries except for Naked Flame... incredible!!!

c-eling, Bonddm and The Big Guy like this.
  14. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I saw them many times from mid 1980s and I can't recall them ever playing a song from Head Injuries, now in 2017 they virtually play the whole damn thing!

15. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Plus seven from 10-1.

morgan1098 and Defrance like this.
  16. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hmmm, maybe I am in the minority, but I'd like a few more from the Diesel-Blue-Earth trio - maybe they will Americanize the set a bit when there come to the U.S.?

17. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

I'm certain that there will be more of those albums in the mix here in the U.S. but if you haven't heard their earlier stuff live and they play it you will be in for a treat.

18. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I'd prefer the older stuff myself. When I met the band after a Earth, Sun, Moon show I had the chance to talk with Peter and expressed my disappointment in the set of greatest US hits. Peter smiled and said, "A few old songs would have been nice for you die hard fans. "

zphage and Defrance like this.
  19. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Oh I'm with you! I would LOVE them to play that Selina's set list. So many great tunes there and especially from Head Injuries. But I get the feeling that they'll trim down the older stuff over here. I'd be happy to be proven wrong!
    Still, I cannot wait. They sound GREAT.

zphage and Defrance like this.
  20. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I just found a cheap used copy of Blue Sky Mining, a US press on blue vinyl that I didn't know existed. Really good album. Midnight Oil's take on the world has never been more timely.

c-eling and ian christopher like this.
  21. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

I wonder if they might feature many songs from a different individual album throughout the tour( like Springsteen was doing...ie-this show they focussed especially on Head Injuries,in another show they focus on Capricornia etc etc)
    Perhaps they may even compile a 2017 live version of their entire catalog during the tour for a future box set or expanded album releases?
    Probably wishful thinking but here's hoping!

22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I'd lay money on a live album. Great band.

c-eling likes this.
  23. c-eling

Actually I think all US pressings are blue. Nice find Marc, great album. Mine sounds just like it's US compact disc counterpart :laugh:

Marc Perman likes this.
  24. ericthegardener

Here's the list of songs they are rehearsing (posted on Peter Garrett's twitter the other day). The upper lefthand corner is songs that will not be played.

Peter Garrett on Twitter

ian christopher likes this.
  25. ericthegardener

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.