Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Looks very much like they'll be rotating their setlist and playing just about every tune they ever wrote -- really like how they bracketed out songs to by played by album.

2. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I just can't wait for this show.

3. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

The Making Of Midnight Oil youtube channel posted a snippet of some professionally filmed footage from the marathon Selina's gig last week. Hope the whole thing gets a release!

GoodVibrations47 likes this.
  4. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Looks like they are rehearsing 80% of their song catalog!

ian christopher likes this.
  5. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

What's the album in the bottom left? Is that new material? Are the last 9 tracks on the "not playing" list new as well?

6. Ringmaster_D

I don't recognize any of the tunes on the bottom left. Of the last 9 in the "not playing" list, "Cemetery" = "Cemetery In My Mind" from Redneck Wonderland and "Diggers" = "Last of the Diggers" from The Real Thing. The rest, who knows?

Defrance likes this.
  7. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I guess the Oils have quietly shelved plans to move to bigger U.S. venues to thwart scalpers?

8. ericthegardener

Probably because many of the scalpers tickets are now selling below face value. I'll probably be stuck now with three single tickets for the Denver show now. (Contact me if interested).

These U.S. shows were never legitimate sell-outs, not sure why scalpers bought so many. Weird. I wouldn't be surprised to find the band worked in concert with the promoters and scalpers in order to gin up some excitement for the reunion in the U.S. The Australian shows, I'm sure, are genuine sell-outs (or close enough).

MrGrumpy likes this.
  9. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

Excellent news,although I am disappointed to see the two Capricornia tracks in the not playing list!Interesting to see the lead single from Breathe album on that list also (Underwater)
    I notice that the EASAM era b-side Ships of Freedom which they played in Selinas Coogee gig doesn't appear to be on the list so other surprises still in order!

Well spotted,hope that could be 2/3 of a new album in bottom corner!
    Of the others in not playing list Return To Sender and Seeing Is Believing are from Redneck Wonderland and Wreckery Road is a Ghostwriters song (Rob Hirsts band)
    Not sure about Sunburnt Sky,Doghead ,Huey or Sch... Moose

Defrance likes this.
  10. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Mylene, c-eling and Bonddm like this.
  11. Ringmaster_D

Well, now we know that most of those mystery songs on the whiteboard were from--they were previously-unreleased demos from the new Overflow Tank box set. What is interesting is that they seem to be rehearsing some of them to perform live.

12. Anyone catch them on this current tour? How do they sound? Have the years taken their toll?

13. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Seeing them next month in Chicago.

c-eling likes this.
  14. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just checked out the "Overflow" details - Psyched to finally have an official "Unplugged" release! Small letdown that "One Country" not included. It was not in the broadcast originally, so I wasn't too hopeful, but they did play at least a part of the song that night.

15. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

The live CDs look good even though one only has 8 tracks. The unreleased demos CD looks amazing as well. The b-sides disc consists mainly of songs that can easily be found on CDs and singles from the 90s. I'm still hoping these CDs will be released individually at some point because my main reason for buying the set would be just 3 of the CDs, the ones with unreleased material.

16. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Very underwhelmed. The unreleased stuff is mostly demos from 1990. I was looking forward to some outtakes from the early 1980s sessions. The video footage has many shows that were already available. For $300 this does not do it for me.

17. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

e-mail me off the list, I have two sets coming and may be willing to part with some of the CDs - mainly buying for the DVDs

18. ericthegardener

Two videos from last night in São Paulo.

Only The Strong:

19. ericthegardener

20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Man, i'm jealous of you guys that are able to see them. :cheers:
    They look and sound great!

beasandpeans likes this.
  21. Syl76

Syl76 Forum Resident

Seeing them on July 6th in Paris.

c-eling likes this.
  22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Seeing them next week in Boston, seeing Ryan Adams the night before. Busy week!

23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

With regards to the three box sets, I'm hoping that street dates staggered by territory means that domestic US releases are coming. I'd rather not pay exorbitant prices for imported versions.

24. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

The Overflow Tank can currently be had for around $178 shipped from amazon France. Best price I've seen for that one.
    The Overflow Tank: Midnight Oil, Andrew James: Amazon.fr: Musique

25. Tickets for next Thursday's Boston show can be had for under $10 (general admission).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.