Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

+1:righton:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Excellent, excellent band. Had second row center seat for them around '92 or so. Mr. Garrett is probably the most imposing front man I've witnessed. Amazing live band, for sure. My prized Oils' possession is the "Green CD", a promo CD with mostly b-sides and remixes. Not sure if it's particularly rare, but the copy I bought is the only one I've ever seen.

CBC likes this.
  3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Killer band, great energy. My favorite song has to be Truganini.

ARK, Zeki, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  4. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

One of my favourite too.

ARK and dennis the menace like this.
  5. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

saw them here in Boston, not long after I moved here in 1984, at the now defunct Channel Club, and they were tremendous....didn't know much about them, but i loved a lot of other Aussie music like The Church/Hoodoo Gurus/Died Pretty etc, and wow, they were just incendiary.....one of the best live shows I've ever seen....

pjc1 likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The EP's are great
    Big fan of Red Sails
    The Green Disc is a must also
    Best of B-Sides has some nice live stuff on it
    and of course the 12 Inch Leap of Logic Mix of My Country :)

forthlin and DesertChaos like this.
  7. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Personally I like Ollie Olsen's band Third Eye cover of the Real Thing.
    You might remember Ollie from MaxQ with Michael Hutchence

Jaap74 and Mylene like this.
  8. Dale A B

Dale A B Forum Resident

I liked Midnight Oil the 1st time I saw the "Power and the Passion" video on mtv.
    Started with 10,9,8, then Red Sails. Saw them live on the Diesel and Dust tour in Madison, Wi, then a year or so later in Milwaukee.
    I have everything on CD that was released domestically, and found a Head Injuries lp on the Powderworks label, mlf 322.

zphage and c-eling like this.
  9. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

A band I definitely need to delve more into but I have always LOVED "Forgotten Years" quite a bit!

c-eling likes this.
  10. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Highly underrated band. Love them.

lance b and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Post above from another Midnight Oil thread.

pjc1, Mylene and ARK like this.
  12. chodad

chodad Hodad

Saw then in '88, they put on a tremendous show. So did the 2 man band House Of Freaks that opened for them. I was shocked when I heard guitarist Brian Harvey and his family were tragically murdered in 2006.

13. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

The first 2 albums (Self titled & Head Injuries) are better sounding to my ears from the recent remaster series. At $10 each + 20% off at JB HiFi I couldn't say no.

I agree the remaining original CD pressings of Midnight Oil sound fine as they are.

14. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Not a big fan but Blue Sky and Earth Sun Moon are excellent albums that are worthy of properly done "deluxe" sets. I think they hit their writing peak with Earth Sun Moon - not a dud on that album though the production is at times a bit overdone. Don't like or agree with Peter's politics but respect him to the nth degree for putting his time and money where his mouth is - top notch guy.

GoodVibrations47, Carlox and Purple like this.
  15. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I bought Diesel and Dust when it came out here on cassette back in 88 while I was stationed at Camp Pendleton so anytime I hear Beds Are Burning I am transported back to the beach at Camp Del Mar.
    Couple of years later bought Blue Sky Mining on cd when I was in Okinawa. Not as hard hitting as Dust but more powerful in a certain way. A few years back I found Blue Sky at the GW on a CBS cassette manufactured in Turkey...sounds great on a good deck and the shell is high quality with screws. I was also lucky enough to find the blue vinyl version of Mining a couple of years ago.

Carlox and zphage like this.
  16. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Saw them in 88 as well and they where on fire.

17. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Not a bad band. I recently found a promo vinyl copy of Diesel and Dust at a thrift store, with some promo literature inside. I was pretty pleased about that.

c-eling and No Bull like this.
  18. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Love "Diesel and Dust".

Dynamic Ranger, FLEMKE and No Bull like this.
  19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Good album. "Earth and sun and moon" is my favorite though. Great record.. lot of different textures in it.....ever track strong. I played it to death for several years... It never gets old. Great respect for this band and what they stood for.

20. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Everything up this EP is essential

CBC, Gavinyl, Higgs and 1 other person like this.
  21. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I was introduced to them when 10,9,8..came out
    I saw them in a club and thought they were great.

I have all the CDs on AMG discography except for the most recent 3

I got over exposed to them while "beds are burning" was big

22. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

I'm a huge Oils fan. Their early catalog is a real hidden gem that few people explore, and it is a big part of the reason they are highly underrated. Their 2nd album, Head Injuries is my favorite, although any of their first four are outstanding. They make take a few listens to get into, especially Place Without A Postcard.
    [​IMG]
    In my mind, they peaked musically in 1982. If you don't believe me, check out their concert at the Capitol Theatre. If there's one show I could go back in time to experience first hand, this is probably it.

The guitar sound Jim Moginie had during this period was absolutely filthy... makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

CBC, Gavinyl, supernaut and 4 others like this.
  23. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

This is not what people think of when Midnight Oil comes to mind:

...includes one of the most terrifically terrifying solos you'll hear.

24. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

This gig was not long after they supported The Who on two UK dates and subsequently declined the support slot on The Who's 1982 US tour!A rock music "Sliding Doors" moment if there ever was one!

Defrance likes this.
  25. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that! Two of my favourite Oils songs.

I've been a big fan from "Place without a postcard" through to "Earth and sun and moon". Best live band I've even seen. As others mentioned in this thread their original CD releases sound very good. The first Oils disc I bought was a used copy of "Blue sky mining". In the end it turned out to be my least favourite album (too pop) but even on a cheap stereo back then I could tell the recording was very clean and dynamic. The intro to River Runs Red is electrifying.

Carlox and Defrance like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.