Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Went to the Denver show last night. Aside from wishing that there had been more from 10, 9, 8,... and Red Sails, it was a pretty incredible 2 hour show. Highlights included Redneck Wonderland, Lucky Country, Ships of Freedom, Only The Strong, Tell Me The Truth and Hercules. There were a couple of songs I wish they'd traded out for better songs, but overall it an incredibly powerful show! It's amazing that they are able to put on a show like that at their age because they are not holding anything back. Even some songs that I was not previously in love with were pretty monstrous live.

robcar, Elliott908 and morgan1098 like this.
  2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I hope they get some cameras rolling and capture one of these shows for posterity!

Finch Platte and Elliott908 like this.
  3. Elliott908

Elliott908 Forum Resident

For anyone who's been to the shows, what time are they hitting the stage? Is there an opening act?

4. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

The openers for the rest of the US dates is All My Exes Live In Texas who are from Sydney. Four very talented women with great harmonies whose country/folk was not my cup of tea. Midnight Oil have been going on at 9pm.

Elliott908 likes this.
  5. jippy

jippy Forum Resident

I'm checking out the Wiltern show tomorrow night. As luck would have it, I had a friend cancel at the last minute and for the life of me, I can't find a single other person who is free. It might be a long shot, but if anybody needs an extra GA ticket, send me a PM and you can meet me down there tomorrow. Face value, no gimmicks. I just want it to go to a fan :).

6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

In Boston, the opening act at 8:00 was Boy Toy. The Oils went on at 9:00 and were done by 11:00.

Elliott908 likes this.
  7. Syl76

Syl76 Forum Resident

For anyone who's been to the shows, do they sell programs ?

8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I didn't see one in Boston, but the merch table on the mezzanine didn't have a lot of product to begin with.

9. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I didn't see any in Chicago.

10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Nope. T-Shirts and the CD "Tanks", plus whatever is on offer from the opening act.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

They would be crazy not to have at least an audio release (double or triple CD)

Dale A B and John Buchanan like this.
  12. I want a new studio album as well.

I have heard that the reissued studio albums sound compressed and have limiting applied. Is this the case? If so, I may stick with my originals.

13. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Stick with the originals...most definitely!!

14. Steve@39

Steve@39 Forum Resident

I recently found my copy of "Head Injuries" and played it- turning that volume knob way up! Took me right back to that late '70s early '80s era- songs like "No Reaction" and "Stand in Line" are killers. The neighbours liked it too!

15. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Just saw them at the Wiltern tonight. Sounds like the set list was very similar. I would have loved more off the early albums of which they played nothing from Head Injuries or Place without a postcard. But I kind of knew this would happen. That being said, the absolutely HAMMERED it. I don't know how a bunch of 60plus year olds can deliver that type of blistering set, but deliver they did. Amazing, amazing show. I'll be seeing them at the Greek in August.

grbl, ericthegardener and Defrance like this.
  16. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I was there too. Best show I've seen in a long time. They are still amazing.

jo66hn, grbl and ericthegardener like this.
  17. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

$225 at the Denver show.

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Don't even think about the remasters.

wayneklein likes this.
  19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I was really hoping to see the Oils' albums on HDtracks today, but "missing an opportunity" seems to be the hallmark of these CD/LP reissues.

20. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Yup. They are still an unbelievably good, live . Even watching the You tube videos doesn't fully prepare you for the force with which they still hit.

grbl, robcar and bferr1 like this.
  21. jippy

jippy Forum Resident

Just saw the Wiltern show last night. I've been a fan since the mid-eighties but somehow never managed to see them. I've been telling my friends that I basically have been wanting to see this band for 32 years. They delivered in spades. Easily one of the best live acts I've ever seen. Everybody was in top form and I loved the occasional smiles and nods at one another as they went through their set. For a band that is mostly in their 50's and 60's, they played like it was their first gig and they had something to prove. I agree with jo66hn about the Youtube clips. For a band like this, you get an idea of how they sound, but being in front of it live and sharing that experience is something else entirely. I'm going to have to get tickets for the Greek Theater in August. There's no way I'm missing another opportunity to see them again.

22. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

What a great write up! I've seen them half a dozen times since the early 80s in Australia and they still blew me away last night, like it was my first time. I took my wife who was a casual fan. She came out wide eyed with a huge grin on her face. THAT'S the power of seeing a great live band.

grbl likes this.
  23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I saw a new CD version of Diesel & Dust last night at Walmart that looks like a remaster but it's only a single CD.
    However, the artwork is slightly different than the original Columbia release (the lettering on the spine and the lettering on the back photo) and it contains the track "Gunbarrel Highway"
    It doesn't have a recent year on it, but could this be the same remastering as the Deluxe Edition released a few years ago?
    I'd like to know because I may get it; the original CD is almost TOO quiet...

24. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Just a guess, but it's probably from the series of Australian remasters that came out a few years ago. I can't remember if that version of D&D was a repeat of the deluxe remaster.

johnny 99 likes this.
  25. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

For your utterly unhinged viewing pleasure. I have a feeling that this clip comes from the overflow box set.
    I'm starting to wonder if Rob Hirst is not Keith Moon's long lost son.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    bferr1 and Ringmaster_D like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.