Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Canadian dates in late August are up on Pollstar.

I"m seeing the Vancouver show tonight.

AlBowly and stevemoss like this.
  2. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

I've been listening to the "Live At The Wireless - 1978" disc from the Overflow Tank today and enjoying the hell out of it. Tight. They could play.

Something they did with the packaging that I really like are the sleeves for each disc. Every other mini sleeve I've encountered is simple construction with a single fold at the edge - the kind where you sort of want to squeeze the sleeve from both sides to bow it open and get at the disc, and there's friction the whole way because the disc has thickness and the creased sleeve doesn't. The ones in the Overflow Tank (and I presume the Full Tank, too) have a 2-fold edge, with an actual side. This makes each sleeve the same depth as its disc, and you can slide it out with ease. It's a subtle thing, but one I hadn't encountered before, and I appreciate it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I received my Full Tank from ImportCDs a few days ago, and all is well. I ordered it last Saturday for $163.72. With expedited shipping, the total came to $170.70. I paid for it mostly with sales of unwanted LPs and CDs, reducing my out of pocket to just under 19 bucks! I really wanted the vinyl set, but the issues, delays and, most of all, the price were deterrents. For 19 bucks, I figure I can live with the loudness of the mastering and the less-than-premium packaging.

I was pleasantly surprised when I received a shipping notice last Sunday night, on a holiday weekend, to boot. I was even more pleasantly surprised that my package arrived safe and sound on Thursday, just three days after the Monday holiday and five days after ordering. Expedited shipping for less than seven bucks is money well spent!

I found the foam packing inside the "tank" to be snug but not as tight as others have reported. I can pull out desired CDs and slip them back in place not quite with ease, but also without much struggle. I know some on the Powderworkers FB page are recommending ways to slice the foam to make disc handling easier, but that's not necessary here.

The first two album "wallets" are sloppily constructed, with crooked, uneven folding, similar to the unboxing video on the Powderworkers FB page. The rest of the CD wallets seem fine, though. All CDs match their wallets-- no omissions or duplicates here, thank God!

I've only listened to the first four CDs in my car on the way to and from work, which is unfortunately where I have to do the majority of my listening these days-- another reason why I didn't go with the vinyl set. Given the reports I've read from other owners recently, I expected loud brickwalled mastering similar to Oasis, but I was pleasantly surprised by the first two CDs. If they're mastered loud, then it's not in a way that's objectionable to me. I also quite liked the tone I was hearing; it sounded natural to me, without exaggerated highs or bloated bass. I didn't find these fatiguing to listen to at all. With Bird Noises, I think that's where loudness starts to creep in, but in a subtle way-- not in your face. I found myself thinking about lowering the volume knob but not actually doing it. I did, however, lower the volume on Place Without a Postcard, but just a little bit. Since it sounds similar in tone to the other CDs, which I found agreeable and not fatiguing, I was still able to enjoy Postcard after the volume adjustment. So, I'm off to a good start; I hope that the rest of the CDs don't end up disappointing. As they say, ignorance is bliss; I think I'm going to avoid looking at waveforms and DR scores, and instead just try to enjoy the music.

I haven't had much of a chance to flip through the booklet yet. There's a lengthy essay that appears to offer a career overview, some photos of the band, individual album credits and tracklistings, and credits for the box set itself. The box set credits state that all albums except Diesel and Dust were remastered by Steve Smart at Studios 301; Diesel is the Bob Ludwig remaster and does contain "Gunbarrel Highway."

Given the way this box set was promoted, I had hoped for replica packaging similar to the recent Clash 5-Album CD set, which, to me, sets the standard for faithful LP miniaturization. I mean, even those CDs in the Clash box are all black on both sides, with a tiny LP-style label in the center ring! It's awesome to look at! By comparison, these Midnight Oil CD wallets are kind of ordinary, somewhat similar in my opinion to what you'd find in those popular budget 5-album Classic CD sets that I've seen around. Those sets sell for $20 or less, for five CDs. By that measure, I'd have to say that the Full Tank is vastly overpriced at $250. It's still way overpriced at ImportCD's reduced price of $163.72. It's definitely worth the 19 bucks I paid for it, after selling off unwanted LPs and CDs!

I hope this mini-review is helpful in some way.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  4. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

I love that set, and I've had to show off the packaging and CDs to a few friends. Just looks so neat.

bferr1 likes this.
  5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Okay... okay, I broke down and started to look under the hood. For the first five CDs, the results get progressively ugly, matching my listening impressions noted two posts above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Midnight Oil / Midnight Oil
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR8 -0.10 dB -9.39 dB 5:37 01-Powderworks
    DR8 -0.10 dB -9.69 dB 4:04 02-Head Over Heels
    DR9 -0.10 dB -10.88 dB 3:19 03-Dust
    DR7 -0.10 dB -8.83 dB 3:12 04-Used and Abused
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.56 dB 5:21 05-Surfing With a Spoon
    DR8 -0.10 dB -9.49 dB 3:56 06-Run By Night
    DR7 -0.10 dB -9.52 dB 8:27 07-Nothing Lost - Nothing Gained

Number of tracks: 7
    Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 914 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Analyzed: Midnight Oil / Head Injuries

DR7 -0.10 dB -7.99 dB 3:30 01-Cold Cold Change
    DR7 -0.10 dB -8.05 dB 3:00 02-Section 5 (Bus To Bondi)
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.00 dB 3:28 03-Naked Flame
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.62 dB 3:09 04-Back on the Borderline
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.41 dB 5:12 05-Koala Sprint
    DR8 -0.10 dB -8.94 dB 2:57 06-No Reaction
    DR7 -0.10 dB -8.55 dB 4:49 07-Stand In Line
    DR7 -0.10 dB -10.85 dB 3:48 08-Profiteers
    DR6 -0.10 dB -7.49 dB 4:26 09-Is It Now?

Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR7

Bitrate: 1036 kbps
    ================================================================================

Analyzed: Midnight Oil / Bird Noises

DR7 -0.10 dB -8.39 dB 4:34 01-No Time For Games
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.97 dB 3:34 02-Knife's Edge
    DR6 -0.10 dB -8.18 dB 3:14 03-Wedding Cake Island
    DR6 -0.10 dB -7.74 dB 3:49 04-I'm The Cure

Number of tracks: 4
    Official DR value: DR6

Bitrate: 1019 kbps

Analyzed: Midnight Oil / Place Without A Postcard

DR5 0.00 dB -7.32 dB 3:06 01-Don't Wanna Be The One
    DR4 -0.10 dB -6.63 dB 4:51 02-Brave Faces
    DR6 -0.10 dB -8.30 dB 4:32 03-Armistice Day
    DR5 -0.10 dB -7.34 dB 2:51 04-Someone Else To Blame
    DR4 -0.10 dB -6.45 dB 4:38 05-Basement Flat
    DR5 -0.10 dB -7.13 dB 3:16 06-Written In The Heart
    DR5 -0.10 dB -8.27 dB 4:51 07-Burnie
    DR6 -0.10 dB -7.81 dB 2:36 08-Quinella Holiday
    DR6 -0.10 dB -7.96 dB 2:23 09-Loves On Sale
    DR6 -0.10 dB -8.34 dB 3:43 10-If Ned Kelly Was King
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.84 dB 4:55 11-Lucky Country

Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR5

Bitrate: 948 kbps

Analyzed: Midnight Oil / 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

DR8 -0.10 dB -10.33 dB 4:25 01-Outside World
    DR5 0.00 dB -7.40 dB 4:32 02-Only The Strong
    DR7 -0.10 dB -9.28 dB 3:53 03-Short Memory
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.61 dB 3:52 04-Read About It
    DR3 -0.10 dB -8.16 dB 6:22 05-Scream In Blue
    DR6 -0.10 dB -8.32 dB 4:06 06-U.S. Forces
    DR7 -0.10 dB -8.55 dB 5:39 07-Power And The Passion
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.00 dB 4:44 08-Maralinga
    DR6 -0.10 dB -9.45 dB 4:29 09-Tin Legs And Tin Mines
    DR4 0.00 dB -6.26 dB 3:58 10-Somebody's Trying To Tell Me Something

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR6

Bitrate: 1049 kbps

Needless to say, far less than ideal from a mastering standpoint. It's got me thinking about the vinyl box again. Any chance Sony will sell the LPs individually? It'd be easier to collect them over time...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    JediJoker likes this.
  6. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Thanks for that. I decided to go over to the Dynamic Range Database and check out the values. Here's the link: Album list - Dynamic Range Database
    Ouch! The new discs are just LOUD! Disappointing, especially since some of the original CD b-sides are quite dynamic in their original issues. "Ships of Freedom" is a good example if someone wants to a/b.

7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

^ My DR scores are actually worse than the DR database on a few albums. Wonder why that is?

8. AdamWW

AdamWW Active Member

Well, thankfully, after many emails and barely any replies from the retailer, Sony Music and Midnight Oil management I requested a pre-paid return postage label to the retailer. They obliged and, eventually (two weeks after they received it), put through my full refund.

If only the manufacturers had put the effort in they originally has said they would.

At least I'm not out of pocket.

JediJoker likes this.
  9. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

What was the problem with the box?

10. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

What kind of a venue did they play in Vancouver?

11. SoundChaser42

SoundChaser42 Active Member

Does anyone have the DR values for the Vinyl Boxset that was released this year? I saw the DR values for the CDs already in this thread but usually the LPs are better.

12. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Outdoor venue used for shakespeare plays that can hold 4,000 and is surrounded by lots of trees.

AlBowly likes this.
  14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Is Best Buy no longer carrying the Vinyl box? I can't seem to find the product page now...

15. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Argh, they booked another show inToronto, on a date already booked for a family vacation. That's the 2nd chance I've had to miss due to other travels. Not meant to be I guess. I hope this isn't the end of the reunion. I love this band.

16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

17. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  18. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

L.A. redux. Big show at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles tonight. Anyone going? Plenty of seats available at all price levels. Venue looks half full. Opening acts are the Living End (yay!) and the Smith Street Band.

19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I will buy the box set someday, maybe. $199 is probably top dollar for me. If I miss out, so be it. The original asking price is ridiculous for what they actually produced. Rhino could have done this whole thing twice as good for 1/3 this price. And I can almost guarantee fans would be amazed at the quality of what they put out.

21. Mike M.

Mike M. Well-Known Member

For those of you who have the vinyl box set ordered, I just received a notice from Amazon that mine has shipped and will arrive on Monday.

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

My Vinyl Box Set arrived Friday from amazon.uk
    Just got thru listening to the first three Lp's, the third one is actually an EP at 45 rpm (Bird Noises). So far I'm very happy with this box set, the vinyl is flat and sounds very good.
    The box set arrived in excellent condition on Friday afternoon, delivered by DHL. I'm always a little paranoid when vinyl box sets cross the Atlantic Ocean, really glad I got
    this now. I just hope the rest of the LP's are as nice as the first three. A little pricey, but I pre-ordered when it was first listed. I think the vinyl box is a lot better deal than the cd box.

Carlox and bferr1 like this.
  23. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

I received my repressed copy of Blue Sky Mining on Friday. The original pressing had "Stars of Warburton" appearing twice on Side A: At it's rightful place as the second track, and instead of "Mountains Of Burma" as the fifth track. As I type, I'm listening to MoB on the repress, so they got this right the second try.

I suspect this issue was the reason for delays in the Amazon shipments. It'd be good to know that all those that ordered it from Amazon have the BSM repress instead of the mispress.

c-eling and Carlox like this.
  24. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Maybe you're right...

25. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

received my vinyl box today - surprised nobody has posted a pic - here it is. the box itself is very good - yea covers are not perfect copies of the originals, but I can live that. pressings seem good but will not be confused with Pallas/ Optimal or MPO - probably GZ??

Interestingly all the albums have BG initials before the numbers in the dead wax. Burnie Grundman?

I am spinning Place Without A Postcard - sounds amazing to me [​IMG] . The original pressing has always been a muddy mess. I am hearing detail and nuances I always knew was on the album but could not hear - everything cleaned up and eq'd coherently. For me, I am happy with the box set just for this one album [​IMG]

first album sounds excellent, Head Injuries sounds good albeit a little compressed and in your face - but it is head injuries.

I am going to enjoy listening to this box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jimhb, Finch Platte, Defrance and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.