Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Enjoyed all 3 of those new tracks but especially the first. Great song and the clip adds to its impact. Anybpdy bought the album on vinyl and able to comment on the mastering and song quality?

2. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

They play "Beds are burning" on the classic rock station I listen to: sounds so out of place.

3. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Oh how I wish that the Peter Garrett and the Oils would pass on the campfire songs and put out one last plank spanking, angry, vicious swipe of an album like "Head Injuries". I know it's not going to happen but oh how I wish they would.
    "Everything's set, everything's fine, you've just got to stand in line"

Bonddm likes this.
  4. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

They have reformed I read today somewhere when I was looking for Garretts new album on vinyl so there is some hope no matter how small :)

5. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

I was listening to 10 9 8..... the other day and was thinking wow they really rocked you hear so much of the campfire stuff you forget what they built there reputation on

6. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

Totally agreed! In 1982, they were the best band in the world, IMHO. Simple Minds was probably 2nd, but the Oils would walk all over them live. I'd have Rush in 3rd, I think.

Gavinyl, grbl and Bonddm like this.
  7. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

dthomas850 and Mondie like this.
  8. Zaragon

Zaragon Forum Resident

Red Sails in the Sunset is the best album of 1984, bar none — and I know from whence I speak, having absorbed and rated more than 600 albums across numerous genres from that mighty year. It was after serious focus and consideration that I finally gave this album the honor during my lengthy '84 focus two years ago, the results of which are at the link below:
    1984 - Upon the Open Door »

The album starts out with the likeable, arresting "When the Generals Talk", but shoots into the stratosphere with the opening chords of "Best of Both Worlds" and never lets up. In some ways, the album strikes me as a Quadrophenia for the '80s, with one epic, melodramatic song after another, each with angular chord changes and dynamics that continually unfold and offer endless surprises.
    Albums from Oceania »

Gavinyl, grbl, Bonddm and 1 other person like this.
  9. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Yep, great in their day! Saw them just once, very good.

supernaut likes this.
  10. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I was walking through the narrow lobby of the Parker Meridien Hotel in NYC one evening in 1990 and all five members of the band walked toward me. I said "Hey it's Midnight Oil" and they laughed and said it was the first time they were recognized offstage in America. I loved that band.

Gavinyl, supernaut, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

" .. from whence ..." :mad:

12. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

wow. shocked. stunned and super excited!!! This great news. What a great band!!

13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

14. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Thanks for posting the doc Bonddm, I haven't seen that before. It was enjoyable and very insightful.

Bonddm likes this.
  15. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Thanks, Bonddm, great doc, really enjoyed it. What a fantastic band, love all their albums. So glad they are reuniting.

Bonddm likes this.
  16. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

The band deserves all the praise they are receiving in this thread and more!

Every album is worth hearing (even the debut - it offers tantalizing hints at the greatness to come), and every album has something positive to contribute to the listener's thinking. In addition to the songwriting, the musicianship is interesting and flawless with some of the best percussion ever recorded. To me they are easily Australia's best Rock band of all time (with another great but underrated band, The Church, being second), and in terms of influence they were as important in the 80s as Led Zep or The Who in the 70s.

Gavinyl, supernaut, Defrance and 3 others like this.
  17. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I also love how good their albums sound. I have been listening to the band nonstop this past week.. and the records sound clean and crisp.. well mastered. Jmo as a non audiophile.

dthomas850 and Bonddm like this.
  18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

19. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Been on a bit of a Midnight Oil jag for the past month or so. Getting some of the records I missed, reading interviews, watching live shows on youtube.com. I was a middling fan, knew about 4 or 5 of their albums fairly well, saw them live once, had a generally positive opinion of them but hadn't listened to them in a long time. Paid very little attention to them since around 1990 in fact. But now, after immersing myself for a while I'm convinced they're right up there with the best bands ever, and I'm really bummed that their American profile is so small.

I don't love it all, but the best songs are so good, the live show so potent and they kept at it for so long, (not to mention that they did their best to fight the good fight), that for me they've got to stand with the greats.

The three albums that precede Diesel and Dust in particular are unlike anyone else, and yet despite the unexpected chord progressions and song structures, the songs are super catchy.

Hope they make it to my part of the world in 2017. Even if their power is diminished it would still be a hell of a show.

JPagan and Bonddm like this.
  20. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Midnight Oil just updated their Facebook page with new artwork/logos. People are speculating like crazy, but does anyone here know if some kind of announcement is imminent? :pineapple: Please tell me it's not just a boring "brand refresh" or something mundane.

21. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Didn't Peter Garrett say a few months ago that the band would be reconvening?

22. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Yes! It was kind of vague about "getting together for some shows" in 2017. I hope more concrete information is forthcoming!

23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Some new tunes (as a band) would be welcome Morgan.

24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

My dad would play Diesel and Dust in the car when I was a kid. I LOVED Beds are Burning but offhand 30 years later I am not remembering anything else off the album offhand. I will probably end up scooping it used next time I see a copy now that the nostalgia fire has been lit on it.

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

It's actually the worst track on the album, :winkgrin:

Defrance likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.