Midnight Oil - Makarrata Project *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grbl, Apr 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

Great news indeed!!!

2. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

The Big Guy, gregorya and SBurke like this.
  3. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

GREAT news! I got started with them when 'Diesel and Dust' came out...

4. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Two albums plus a tour. Didn't expect that!! Can't wait to hear the new music.

5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Three albums and two tours... plus a personal show at your home!... :):)

ARK likes this.
  6. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Good news indeed, but another new album to be released by the end of the year? I can't wait, damn it! ;)

The Big Guy likes this.
  7. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

New single out this Friday called "Gadigal Land". For those who haven't been following closely, this single is from the first of two Midnight Oil records coming out this year. This album is a collaboration between Midnight Oil and various indigenous Australian musicians, to be followed by the release of a more traditional Oils record later in the year (won't be surprised to find that Covid delays the second album).

The press release email follows:

8. grbl

I’m so excited for this. Got the email notification a few hours ago. I love it’s focus on supporting justice for indigenous people. Not only is Midnight Oil’s music spectacular, but I love what they stand for.

9. Grahamstuartcanada

Finally some good news in 2020

Chemically altered, gregorya and grbl like this.
  10. grbl

We sure need it!!!

Chemically altered and gregorya like this.
  11. Chemically altered

Amen to that!

12. JHughesPSPB

JHughesPSPB Active Member

13. ericthegardener

After a couple of listens I'd say that it comes off as a bit basic at first, but from the spoken word section to the end it becomes more interesting. The bridge after the spoken word section is pretty cool and from there to the end the energy level seems higher. Jury still out for me, but I'm happy to have a new Oils song to dissect.

c-eling and Grahamstuartcanada like this.
  14. TheOrangeApple

TheOrangeApple Well-Known Member

Here's a radio interview that Rob did, looks like the album is getting a vinyl release (I hope it gets a cd release too).

ericthegardener likes this.
  15. ericthegardener

I'm not saying it's the best Oils song ever, but I thought that there might be a bit more excitement here that they had something new out. Anyways, here's the video:

After having given it quite a few more listens, I'm not far off my original assessment. The first half not bad but maybe a bit dull. The mid section is the most interesting part, and the ending picks up a bit of steam (even though it's pretty much the same as the beginning). I don't mind the horns.

Erick Haight and The Big Guy like this.
  16. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

There's a lot of excitement on the Facebook Powderworkers page :winkgrin: . Personally I really like this song. From what I understand it is from The Makaratta Project,
    the eight song EP the Oils are recording with various aboriginal artists due in October. A full blown Oils LP is due sometime after that.

17. Grahamstuartcanada

Any new music will be exciting here. I have seen the band play 3x - 2x on the tour 3 years ago. Best band live I have seen - factor in their ages- no tempo adjustments no lower key for singing- unheard of.
    I think the fact that there are 2 albums coming is exciting as both will be different i am sure...and singles from both may be different in style and scope too

ericthegardener likes this.
  18. TheOrangeApple

TheOrangeApple Well-Known Member

Can you really call it an ep when it has more songs on it than their first album :D

19. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Today is a good day.

1 - Midnight Oil released video of a new song from The Makarrata Project

2 - The Makarrata Project is available for preorder from their Australian site: Midnight Oil

serj, jimhb, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  20. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I like the 2nd song even better than the first, it's got a cool quirky sequencer line underneath that hearkens back to the 80s. Good tune.

c-eling, stevemoss and EVOLVIST like this.
  21. That song is the jam! They managed to put in the rap without it feeling shoehorned. I wonder if Rob wrote the majority of this tune.

c-eling and morgan1098 like this.
  22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I'm struggling a bit with these two new songs. They seem to be what reviewers politely call "solid tunes" - still sound very much like Midnight Oil, but there is some indefinable Oils magic that thee songs seem to lack.

23. Chemically altered

Good tune! I like it. Nice 80s vibe.

speedracer likes this.
  24. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

I think you're looking for a big chorus. These say a tremendous amount in the verses, but they don't have an anthemic chorus with a signature singalong line (a "How do we sleep while our beds are burning?" or "Who's gonna save me?"). I can see where you'd miss that. Not every song can do that, though.

25. ericthegardener

I know what you're saying, but I'm treating this as it's own thing, separate from the rest of the Oils catalog. Not expecting it to necessarily sound like anything that's come before. Now when the full-fledged Midnight Oil album comes out I may be saying something different. I'm hoping for a rocker with a bit of anger!

Chemically altered and stevemoss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.