Midnight Oil - the album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 20, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Easy album and song guide

Midnight Oil - 1978 Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 1 Powderworks Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 2 Head over heals Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 3 Dust Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 4 Used and Abused Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 5 Surfing with a spoon Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 6 Run by night Midnight Oil - the album thread
    Run by night live 1981 - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 7 Nothing lost ... nothing gained Midnight Oil - the album thread

Head Injuries - 1979 Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 1 Cold cold change Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 2 Section 5 (bus to Bondi) Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 3 Naked flame Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 4 Back on the borderline Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 5 Koala sprint Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 6 No reaction Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 7 Stand in line Midnight Oil - the album thread
    Stand in line live 1981 - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 8 Profiteers Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 9 Is it now? Midnight Oil - the album thread

Bird Noises EP 1980 Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 1 No time for games Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 2 Knife's edge Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 3 Wedding cake island Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 4 I'm the cure Midnight Oil - the album thread

Live at the Melbourne Show Grounds 1980 - Midnight Oil - the album thread

Place Without A Postcard 1981 Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 1 Don't wanna be the one Midnight Oil - the album thread
    don't wanna be the one live - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 2 Brave faces Midnight Oil - the album thread
    Brave faces live in 1982 - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 3 Armistice day Midnight Oil - the album thread
    Armistice day live 1982 - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 4 Someone else to blame Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 5 Basement Flat Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 6 Written in the heart Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 7 Burnie Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 8 Quinella holiday Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 9 Love's on sale Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 10 If Ned Kelly was King Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 11 Lucky country Midnight Oil - the album thread

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 - 1982 - Midnight Oil - the album thread

2. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Awesome thread and band. Got to see them once in the early 90s, very powerful with many great songs. :righton:

JulesRules and mark winstanley like this.
  3. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Some comments about the earlier albums:

Reading through the lyrics posted here has made me realise that while the quality of MO's music making may have waxed and waned over time, their lyrics have always been top notch. Importantly, they were about things that the band and their Australian audience could relate to, not aimed at UK or American listeners. Prior to this most bands would not have put a song about Burnie on an album - a country artist might have, but not a rock band. The producer(s) would have said "No one outside Australia will have heard of it or know where it is". The Oils' attitude was that they wanted a song about Burnie, and if the listener had never heard of the place they were welcome to do their research. This subtle shift, from pandering to overseas listeners to saying "This is our country, this is our music, and you can listen or not as you wish, was an important shift in the mindset of Australian musicians and songwriters.

On 10 to 1:

There are some interesting oddities about this album. Critics have pointed out that, by and large, the first half (side 1 if you like) is the more experimental, with the more obviously radio-friendly songs relegated to the second half. The opening song, "Outside World", is one of the more unusual tracks and certainly not an obvious choice for album opener. Casual fans will probably know "U.S. Forces" and possibly "The Power and the Passion", but it's the following two tracks, "Maralinga" and "Tin Legs and Tin Mines" that I think are where the album peaks. The final track I find somewhat anticlimactic and the prolonged "locked groove" ending note annoys me a little.

I remain undecided whether this album is their best, but I'd definitely say it's their most adventurous. It's also the first in a run of albums that each had an over-arching theme about which several of the songs were written. This one is themed around war and futility thereof; Red Sails references nuclear proliferation and the reliance on nuclear power; Diesel and Dust addresses issues affecting indigenous Australians; and Blue Sky Mining has the theme of the environment and environmental degradation due to exploitation for short term monetary gain.

The single adjective that best describes this band is "uncompromising". Famously, they never appeared on Countdown, highly ironic considering they released an album whose title is a countdown.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. mark winstanley

for sure, i can relate to your statements there. i guess for me 10-1 is there best album because it was the one that when i listened to it, it grabbed my attention and kept it. The experimentation was a plus for me, because in this instance it worked.
    i think midnight oil and cold chisel were such important Australian bands because they remained unapologetically Australian in all regards. I think that gave some bands that followed the confidence to keep that in mind when they were writing songs, but i'm not sure any bands after them managed it to the same degree as those two. Kudos must also be given to Skyhooks, who were the first band I know of to thematically use Australia as the base of it's songs, particularly their debut - Living in the Seventies.

hoss, Gavinyl and John Buchanan like this.
  5. mark winstanley

6. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

This happens to be Jim Moginie's favourite album. They played it in its entirety on his birthday in Chicago last year.
    I love this album. When it was first released it could only have been interpreted as a radical statement of intent. I happened to see them on the accompanying tour and to hear this album played live with such power, passion and ferocity will stay forever embedded in my memory.
    They have put out a host of great albums, some before and some since, but there's something ineffable that sets 10-1 apart.

7. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

I know this is a long shot but is there anybody out there that happened to be at their September shows at the Sydney Entertainment Centre in 1983?

If my memory serves me correctly they were the first Australian band to headline a concert at this 12,000 seat venue.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

Head Injuries is def their best album

9. mark winstanley

Outside World
    Brilliant atmospheric opening, with a certain ominous dread underpinning it. Excellent use of the synths to create the melody and tension. The splashes of drums and guitar certainly help to add to the drama. This was a million miles away from anything that the Oils had put out previously and this grabbed my attention straight away. Although anything but a standard rock song, this song, as an opener grabbed the attention and moved into the album in a way that made one wonder what was up next. Towards the end of the songs the intensity builds up only to drop out into a melodic musical coda.

Lyrics
    There's a wind on the eastern side
    Ghost gums dance in the moonlit night
    Mopoke mourns the racketeers
    The bosses they can sense your mood
    All in place to a hand that rules
    They all want to deal you out

I can see the outside world
    Everything's inviting in the outside world
    Leaving all my problems in the outside world

It's the summer of another year
    A little world weary a little more to fear
    Hold those cards tight to your chest
    Maybe someday you could be a man
    Living quietly in a caravan
    Not the Lismore road tonight

JulesRules, Muzmus and Gavinyl like this.
  10. mark winstanley

Only the strong
    This song again starts with some ambient stuff and one starts to wonder if the Oils have turned into an Aussie version of early OMD .... but then BANG in comes the Oils rocking full tilt. The use of dynamics across the album is sensational and Launay and the boys paced this album beautifully. Also across the first two songs there is a theme of isolation, almost agoraphobia that comes across to me.

Lyrics
    When I'm locked in my room
    I just want to scream
    And I know what they mean
    (One more day of eating and sleeping)

Speak to me, speak to me
    I'm not spoken for, I'm ready to talk
    Look at me, look at me
    I've been broken up and shaken down
    Speak to me, speak to me
    I'm at the edge of myself I'm dying to talk
    Look at me, won't you look at me
    Back once more at the point of no return

When I'm locked in my room
    I just want to scream
    And I know what they mean
    Only the strong

11. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

As you mentioned a wonderful way to start the album. First with the slow and ominous build up of "Outside World" and then with the brutal explosion that is "Only the strong".

12. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

I listen to this album so often that my 5 and 7 year old sons sing along to this song. As you can imagine, I am quite proud of that!

13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

15. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

10 to 1 really should be talked about amongst the all-time great rock albums. Just an incredible album from start to finish.

16. mark winstanley

exactly.
    no list of great rock albums is complete without 10-1 or circus animals. my whole point for doing these threads was to try and introduce these great artists to a U.S. crowd and whoever may be around here and hopefully have them listen and wonder how on earth they haven't heard this stuff before ... not sure how successful it has been because it seems that most just want to rehash the same bands they've been listening to for 50 years :rolleyes:

Dennis Metz and jo66hn like this.
  17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

This was their concert opener for some time wasn't it?

18. mark winstanley

On the 10-1 tour i believe the shows started the same as the album.

19. soundphile

soundphile Forum Resident

I don't have those numbers, but it's possible there are more than 2 early masterings. Actually, I'm not sure the "CMU P 29 on the hub" disc is a "mastering" per se, but an unintentional mess-up in a re-press.
    For what it's worth, the better of the two CK 38996 discs I'm talking about is actually slightly louder, but sonically vastly superior. Neither is especially compressed, but I think those numbers you post are just peak readings...
    Given my experience with Diesel and Dust, it's probably worth checking out any non-US pressings (CDCBS catalog #s) against the US releases.

It would be difficult to be a music fan and eschew anything with poor sonics; unfortunately, it makes up too much of recorded music!
    That said, especially in a thread that may inspire readers to make some purchases, it's always preferable to choose the best-sounding version available - which can do nothing but enhance your enjoyment of the music.

20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Please don't get discouraged. It's the same on any music board. Someone posts about something they love; most of the responses come from people who already know it and have it. Every so often there will be someone who hasn't heard it and will seek it out. Maybe the artist has been in the back of their minds for a while.

I find that artists gradually seep into my consciousness. I may read a 5 star review of an album; I think "that sounds interesting but I have no idea if it's for me, must check it out sometime". I read comments on music sites. I might hear one song on the radio. Eventually there come a tipping point where I am motivated to seek out a few clips and listen. Then comes the decision to buy. That's how it was for me with Anathema, and with Sufjan Stevens.

I'm thinking of doing threads like this for a couple of artists I have in mind, but I'm pretty new to this forum so I think I'll wait a while and get more familiar with how the place works.

Gavinyl and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

i have no problem with that, but at fifty with a bad ear i'll leave that to someone else

22. mark winstanley

It's all good. I just carry on regardless. It's not disheartening, more bewildering. have a thread about the beatles, the stones, the who or hendrix and 50,000+ people will look at it, have a thread about someone else and maybe 5000 will look at it. It doesn't dishearten me, it just shows me that folks main thing is to comment on people and things they know so as to be able to seem somewhat of an expert.
    Anathema are new to me, but they do sound pretty good.

JulesRules and Gavinyl like this.
  23. mark winstanley

Short Memory
    This is perhaps my favourite Oils song. The song is musically hypnotising and lyrically poignant. This is a rock classic whether anyone recognises it or not.

Lyrics
    Conquistador of Mexico, the Zulu and the Navaho
    The Belgians in the Congo short memory
    Plantation in Virginia, the Raj in British India
    The deadline in South Africa short memory
    The story of El Salvador, the silence of Hiroshima
    Destruction of Cambodia short memory

Short memory, must have a, short memory

The sight of hotels by the Nile, the designated Hilton style
    With running water specially bought short memory
    A smallish man Afghanistan, a watch dog in a nervous land
    They're only there to lend a hand short memory
    Wake up in sweat at dead of night
    And in the tents new rifles hey short memory

If you read the history books you'll see the same things happen again and again
    Repeat repeat short memory they've all got it
    When are we going to play it again
    Got a short, got a short, got a short, got a short
    They've got a short must have a short they've got a short aah
    Short memory, they've got a.

24. mark winstanley

Read About It
    Another classic Oils song. This brings us back up to more standard Oils fare, with an uptempo rock song with great riffs. One thing the Oils seemed to learn while recording this album is how effective acoustic guitars can be in putting a song across. This song is punchy, poignant, well written and a live staple.

Lyrics
    The rich get richer, the poor get the picture
    The bombs never hit you when you're down so low
    Some got pollution, some revolution
    There must be some solution but I just don't know
    The bosses want decisions, the workers need ambitions
    There won't be no collisions when they move so slow
    Nothing ever happens, nothing really matters
    No one ever tells me so what am I to know

You wouldn't read about it, read about it
    Just another incredible scene, there's no doubt about it

Hammer and the sickle, the news is at a trickle
    The commissars are fickle but the stockpile grows
    Bombers keep acoming, engines softly humming
    The stars and stripes are running for their own big show
    Another little flare up, storm brewed in a tea cup
    Imagine any mix up and the lot would go
    Nothing ever happens...

One unjust ridiculous steal, ain't no doubt about it
    Just another particular deal, there's no doubt about it

25. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I love short memory.

There is a great live version out there as well.