Midnight Oil Vinyl Box set - How’s the sound?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grbl, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

I’ve gone through all the Midnight Oil threads, and there aren’t many reviews of the vinyl box set, so I thought I’d start a separate thread just focused on the sound of the vinyl box set.

I’m a huge fan of the band and have every album on cd, the Overflow Tank, and I got most of the album on used vinyl (varying quality). If the sound of the vinyl set is good, I’ll buy it, but I’m a bit concerned only because they remastered some of the cds a few years ago and brick walled them and futzed with the eq.

So, to those who have the vinyl box set, how do they sound? Are they compressed, or have they maintained the dynamics of the originals? Did the mess with the eq or are they consistent with the originals (but hopefully better).

Please be as descriptive as possible. Thanks.

c-eling likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Curious as well.
    However I skipped it, just because I guestimated they would probably just use the 2008 digital remasters for these as they used for the compact discs in this set. I would of taken a chance if these would of been newer remasters as they would of created separate ones possibly for the lp's. Cost i'm sure was a deciding factor since they already had the 2008's handy. Of course I'd love to proven wrong. I love the mastering on the old compact discs and lp's so there was no way I was going to risk the money :)

3. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Not answering the question, but I have originals of most of the albums through Blue Sky Mining, and I’d say Midnight Oil has been treated quite well on vinyl.

John Buchanan and c-eling like this.
  4. grbl

The originals all sound pretty good, I agree. My problem is that I ended up going back and buying the vinyl just a few years ago (having originally bought the cds), so I ended up having to get used copies in most cases. Some of them are fine, some less so. So, if there are great sounding new vinyl editions, I’d be all over them. If, on the other hand, they suffer from the poor mastering of the 2008 remasters, I’ll pass.

5. c-eling

I'd figure at one point these will be available separately. Then i'd be willing to do a comparison

6. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I'd like to know how they sound as well, with the hope that the albums will be reissued individually as well. There are two or three I'd like to own on vinyl, but I'm not so sure I want to invest in the complete box.

7. grbl

I’d be in for the whole box.

8. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

I haven't heard the box but some folk on here have commented that the earlier albums in the box set sound more substantial. PWAPC was said to sound substantially clearer. I've read nothing about the rest of the box.

I have seen individual albums from the box being sold on Amazon. So they they are available but are horrendously expensive ( around $45 ).

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

That whole box is outrageously priced. I’m not surprised no one is commenting on its quality...no one has it!

The Lizard King likes this.
  10. grbl

The price is outrageous, but, if the mastering’s good, I’ll gladly pay it. I love this band.

Chemguy likes this.
  11. grbl

I'm hoping more substantial and clearer doesn't mean more compressed.

Chemguy likes this.
  12. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Apparently not. There may be some slight compression but on the early ones it is negligible.
    PWAP is supposedly much, much,better than the original. I would love to get that one but I'm not going to spend $50 for it and am disinclined to get the box set as I have all of the original albums I want. They sound very good to great to me.

13. grbl

Yes...I'm happy with the sound of the original vinyl, just wish I had a pristine copy of each. My used copies range from mint to very good.

14. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Totally agree. And if the box set didn't cost almost $400 I too would consider it.
    Meanwhile the wait to hear from someone who actually owns it continues...

15. grbl

Indeed. Someone on this site must own it.

16. grbl

So I broke down and bought this. It was $314 from importcd.com. I couldn’t resist at that price. I’ve only listened to Blue Sky Mining so far, but it sounds wonderful, the best i’ve heard the album sound. The vinyl is heavy and dead quiet. The album cover is maybe a tad thin, but not bad at all. While the artwork may not be super super crisp, it really looks fine to me. If the rest of the albums sound as good as Blue Sky, I’ll be very very happy with the purchase.

17. c-eling

Congrats and enjoy! :)

18. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

@grbl - have you had the opportunity to listen to the entire set yet? I too have been thinking about this set and would love to hear your thoughts.

19. grbl

Not the entire set. I've listened to Blue Sky Mining, Red Sails in the Sunset, Earth and Sun and Moon, and 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. All of them sound great. I'm very happy with the purchase, and I would be even if I'd paid $375 for the set. At $315, I'm ecstatic.

Trabik likes this.
  20. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Do you think they are better than the US originals?

21. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Is Blue Sky Mining on blue vinyl?

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

Now you're just being nit-picky... :laugh:
    Surprisingly for a Vlado cut the US isn't too shabby. One of the better digital's out there :)

Marc Perman likes this.
  23. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

I finally broke down and got this as well ( $250 shipped ).
    Have only listened to a couple of tracks on a couple of albums so far but my early impressions are favorable.
    I've been wanting a better sounding "place without a postcard" but unfortunately my first impressions are inconclusive. I didn't directly compare it to the original which I will do at some stage but I've come to the conclusion that this album will always be just that little bit too muddy for my liking.
    10-1 sounds better than any copy I own and I own both the American and Australian releases. Saying that a pristine original Oz is supposedly great sounding. Mine is not pristine.
    Redneck Wonderland sounded great.
    My overall impression is that if you don't have mint originals and you were a completist then this box set is for you.

Purple and c-eling like this.
  24. From what is said below this appears to be a new remaster done at Australia's premier recording studio 301. (ex EMI studios).

"The definitive Oils collection includes all of Midnight Oils’ 11 classic studio LP’s, plus their two 12” EP’s on 180gsm vinyl in one complete box. Each vinyl has been remastered from the original tapes by Steve Smart at Studios 301, Sydney and then mastered for Vinyl at Abbey Road Studios, London."

"The artwork has been painstakingly restored to match the original releases and this deluxe box set includes the original alternative album cover for Capricornia."

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  25. tallman5353

tallman5353 Well-Known Member

Just received the box set after sitting on it for a while, got a good deal ($248USD shipped).

I have most of the original oz pressings to compare to, on the whole the remasters are quite good bar Species Deceases.
    They really messed this particular one up. a lot of the high frequencies are missing, most noticably on Hercules with the percussion.
    Doing an A/B between the '86 original and the remaster the difference was staggering. The original has so much more life and upbeat to it, the new one is unfortunately a poor compressed imitation.

Album art on some albums is quite low res too, not even a 1-1 to the original covers let alone an improvement.

Glad I didn't pay more honestly, but I love the music and that is why I did get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.