"Midnight Rambler" (live) - the Stones' finest moment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ LX, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not necessarily their best song (although it's right up there). Rather, the totality of the performance on Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out -- the frenzied crowd, the way the band locks into a groove, Richards' and Taylor's slashing guitars, the tempo changes, the menacing lyrics, Jagger's harmonica playing and the way he delivers vocals -- is mesmerizing, a distillation of everything that makes the Stones great. On this song, on this night, the Rolling Stones could legitimately lay claim to being the Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World.* No?

* an honorific Jagger hated BTW.

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, they are locked in on that one, fer sure.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  3. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I love that version of Midnight Rambler, the best ever. The whole album works for me.

4. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Definitely one of my favorite Stones' performances.

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. Jeez, I hope not. It's a throwaway tune, though it does groove and shows the Stones having some grit, but they are no Allmans.

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Quite possibly my least favorite thing they released while Wyman was in the band. The runner up is the studio version.

Dull as dirt chord progression, unappealing lyrics, not even a hint of a melody, and it just drags on and on.

jonathan, McRich, majorlance and 3 others like this.
  7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

With the Stones, I generally prefer the studio versions. I have all of the officially released Stones live albums and I'm thinking there's a MR live I like better than Ya Ya's.
    Not sure which album it is--any Tier 1 Stones guys have a favorite live version over GYYYO?

8. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I was there at MSG for one of the concerts -- an absolutely stunning show. I was in my freshman year of college in 1969, and my father got tickets for my girlfriend and me to see the Stones at MSG. I've seen the Stones many times since, but none of the later performances even approaches that concert.

I married the girlfriend in 1972, and we are still together.

9. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Well, let's put it this way. The middle section, where Jagger tells the story accompanied by the bluesy guitar licks, is the epitome of rock and roll gravitas. Or let's just call it brass balls. It's been iconic since forever, but it could've easily failed. Very powerful times.

When I first heard it, about age 15, it explained to me why the Stones were significant. I had Ya-Yas and Hot Rocks. I was disappointed when I finally heard the studio version. But even that has grown on me over time.

10. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Certainly one of my favorite Stones moments.

MRamble and Fullbug like this.
  11. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

A supreme example of the dynamics of music; tension and release.

12. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

thank god for that.

13. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

The performance of Midnight Rambler captured on Ya Yas is one of the iconic performances in rock history!!! The band was locked in.

And there are zero overdubs on the Ya Yas version!!!

14. Reminds me of a bumper sticker from the 70s: 'Who the $&)! are the Rolling Stones? -Lynyrd Skynyrd"

15. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I usually hate live versions of songs stuck on hits collections, but I make an exception for this version of "Midnight Rambler" on Hot Rocks. Love it. :righton:

16. Bijan

Bijan Forum Resident

I like it, I love the version from Leeds '71

17. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

When this starts up in their 19 song concerts I think about what four other songs they could have played in the same time frame instead.

18. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Rather keen on Gimme Shelter from original KBFH Brussels Afair myself, if we are talking Live.

19. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Nothing will ever supplant Gimme Shelter for me - but I reckon this is a close second.

DJ LX likes this.
  20. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Midnight Rambler being on most, if not all, of the Rolling Stones concerts I've ever heard has kind of dulled the impact - but I used to love hearing this on Hot Rocks and if I had to pick a version it's probably what I'd go to.

My pick for finest moment is the studio take of Street-Fighting Man. From kickoff to fade it just absolutely stuns me.

bonus and Fullbug like this.
  21. chuckieh

chuckieh Forum Resident

You know how you can be at a movie and you're looking at your watch half way through? Then you're at another movie, it ends and you look at your watch and can't believe it was 2 1/2 hours long? It seemed half that long! Well if you grew up with the Stones and saw them live or were listening to GYYYO Midnight Rambler, the last thing you were doing was thinking what other 3 or 4 songs you were missing.

If you did, you were listening to/watching the wrong band.

22. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

i agree, great version of the song, the studio version is quite limp, so the ya'ya's version really elevates the song. as for midnight rambler, itself, it remains the only song i can stand to watch them play in their current form, they don't play it the same way twice.

webmatador likes this.
  23. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

A shame it couldn't have been included in Gimme Shelter. Or on the 40th deluxe edition. A complete filmed version of the Ya Ya's version would be the Holy Grail for me!!

My understanding is that, due to the length of the song, no complete performance from MSG 69 is available. I believe I remember reading an interview with one of the Maysles that they had to change film every 5 minutes or so.

Can anybody verify this?

24. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

This version epitomizes everything that the Rolling Stones are about, rawness, power, and most of all, liveliness. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  25. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Let's take a look at "Midnight Rambler" from the 1971 Leeds show. The song begins with Charlie playing a staccato beat, but the rest of the band is not almost off the rails, they are off the freakin' rails. There are squeaks, feedback, false starts, and ragged rhythms. Then, after a minute of this mess, Bill's bass kicks in with an other-wordly rumble, sounding as if his amp valves are on their last legs. After that, it's all tight and groovy with a sinew emanating straight from the Great Dismal Swamp off of Rt. 17 in VA. Keith's strokes pummel and Mick's harp pleads. Your mind weaves in and out of the shimmery swamp like a bootleggers nighttime trip and just when you cannot take it anymore, Mick Taylor's lysergic leads have you flying above it all only to be brought back down to earth and Hades below when the band slows to a sultry crawl and Mick is, without a doubt, the Midnight Rambler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.