Might sell up turntable front end and records.............any positive stories.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Linto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

My god, man. Time to thin that herd! I love that you’ve done that, but it sounds like even you know it’s time to let go. All 16 of those Revolvers contain the same content! And how many copies of it do you have on CD??

What could you do with the money you have tied up here? If memory serves, there have been studies showing that we appreciate experiences more than possessions; sell the duplicates and take the family on holiday!

2. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

The last time people did that I picked up some serious bargains. That was certainly positive for me...:D

3. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I did it in 2013-2014 and by the middle of 2015 when I had sold off all of the gear and the 500 most prized LP's did I realize what a horrendous mistake I had made. It was a very foolish and costly mistake. I have since replaced all of those highly valued LP's and most often at a premium far greater than what I sold them for. From my personal experience I would highly recommend against it. At least don't sell the LP's just in case you ever change your mind. Because you're right, it's not a format war. But there are times, many times when vinyl IS the clear winner. Good luck with your decision.

SandAndGlass, Linto, KT88 and 4 others like this.
  4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Hell, I’m not only considering selling off the records, but the stack of gear as well. The simplicity of the LS50w has me rethinking my whole world.

Spitfire, Mike-48 and timind like this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

While I don't think I would ever sell off my records, right now would be to do it. Vinyl is so stupidly priced at the present. The only issue is that I would want full value for my collection. That would mean I, for all practical purposes we be opening a record store. Not something I would actually want to do.

SandAndGlass and Mike-48 like this.
  6. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

it's just stuff man. i lost my collection twice (long story) i don't miss it...currently building a third...some amazing dacs out there now...if you need the space and your not really playing them get rid of them.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Not wanting to play records could be a result of a lot of things. This notion that "oh your system isn't good enough" reeks of audiophile elitism to me.

There are other considerations in life that can take priority regardless of how good your system sounds. In addition, the OP clearly enjoys his system so that isn't an issue anyway.

SandAndGlass and black sheriff like this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

As someone who is also short of space I can relate. I've been planning a trimming of my collection for some time now and not finding the time to deal with it is just as much of a problem as a lack of space to store it!

In the long term, I've never regretted any record or cd I have sold. But getting rid of everything is a much bigger step. If it were me I'd take a two step approach.

First, I'd trim down the collection, which you are already doing. You do have to be rather ruthless though and let go of some attachments.

Second, if storage is still an issue, then I'd pack it all up and store it for awhile. But I know what London houses can be like when it comes to storage so you'll probably need to find external storage. Despite the cost, which should be affordable, I think it's still worth considering this option as it is mostly in the short term. Even if you want to keep some records, just leave those in the house for now to see what it would be like. Enjoy the extra space, give it sometime and see if you really miss your records and t/t enough that you need to have them back.

Selling everything off sounds like a big step and it is, but at the same time, it's not the end of the world or that big of a deal if you are actually ready for it.

I still like keeping my records and t/t around as I listen to records often enough but I know there will likely be one day when that will change. Things change. Eventually none of it will matter and even regrets will be something you talk about after some beers with mates and then forget about it as you get on with the rest of your life :)

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Have owned and played records for 50 years. Not about to stop now. - Think about how long it took you to put that "collection" together.

SandAndGlass and mkane like this.
  10. JMT

JMT Senior Member

Interesting question, I have been playing with the idea of selling my SACD/CD player since I listen to vinyl 90% of the time. But each time I start to seriously think about doing so, I come to my senses. I know I would regret doing so.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's not about cost or absolute quality, I'm sure there are plenty of people getting huge enjoyment playing records on lower end Pro-jects and Regas or used decks from decades past, but surely a priority for choosing a deck in the first place is that it leaves you wanting to spin your records, if it doesn't do that, or no longer does that, for whatever reason, then perhaps another deck, even a cheaper one might rekindle that passion. You only have to read through this and similar fora to come across numerous stories of people switching out their deck or even just the cart and rediscovering the joys of playing records, it's not like the OP has lost interest in music. On the other hand if it's really all about space then that's a different question.

GyroSE and Fishoutofwater like this.
  12. I got bored playing my LPs and mainly listened to cds. A friend came round and persuaded me to change my cartridge. I now listen to LPs as much as i do cds. I am so glad did not give up on my LPs or deck.

13. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Digital sources are capable of even wider frequency range than LP, so your last bit of thinking shouldn't be a consideration. What is actually recorded live or in a studio is what matters, not to mention teh associated mastering and so on. Your change in hearing has nothing to do with the source you use for music listening. The music is still the same, whether you stream it from Qobuz or TIDAL, listen to LPs, or listen to CDs.

The vast majority of music exists well within your current hearing range. You're a musician and you know this. That extremely high harmonics and the highest frequency components of room reverberation (that actually contain little effectively audible musical content) is partially lost to you (and a few hundreds of millions of other adults too beyond a certain age around the world) has nothing to do with choosing between LPs, CDs and streaming.

You've got a great system and a wonderful turntable. There's a greater likelihood that you're just going through a phase or period in which your musical attention is drawn to sources other than LP. Happens to all of us. Just because the LP12 is sitting there, doesn't mean it absolutely has to be your main source for music listening all the time. I regularly ignore TIDAL streaming for CDs, CDs for LPs, and LPs for streaming, and so on. It's great to have the choices.

14. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I sold off my LP system and LPs about 10-15 years ago, when I had bought an outstanding Muse DAC and transport. (Now, like you, I use file-based audio.) I have never regretted that. As you are not listening to the LPs any more, it seems sensible to get rid of all that stuff. It does release a lot of space.

At a certain point in life, I found getting rid of stuff -- lightening the load, as it were -- to be a liberating experience. Not to get rid of my audio system, but to lose things that I never or rarely use. I have given away many, books, as well -- we have an outstanding public library here, and why keep a book I haven't read for 25 years?

Not to get into a war, but I found the shortcomings of LPs (mainly, pitch instability due to warps and eccentric pressings) pretty irritating, and I don't miss the ritual of cleaning the records, cleaning the stylus, and so on.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you!

JMAC likes this.
  15. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Never get tired of this video. If you really want to laugh, watch it with a young child.

16. What he said! DON'T SELL! Unless you really, really need the money or just don't have space to store.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Anything you rarely if ever use should be unloaded. Life gets very complicated and difficult if you don’t follow that policy.

If you change your mind, you can always buy more records. Sure, some are harder than others to find you can always get the content. Nothing is sacred, it’s just stuff and if you don’t use it, don’t store it.

Mike-48, timind and JMAC like this.
  18. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

A deck is easily replaceable, an album collection is not. Sell the deck, store the vinyl off site. Revisit decision in a year or so.

19. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I owe the OP an apology. I need to pay better attention to the thread titles, he asked for POSITIVE experiences and I proceeded to tell him what a bad idea I think it is. Like my mother used to say, if I didn’t have anything nice to say I should have kept my mouth shut.

20. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

That's incorrect. Remember also that all CD's have dramatic low-pass filtering to avoid aliasing.

I believe you need 96/24 rips to compete with really good vinyl pressings.

21. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

This year, I sold all my records except for a few with sentimental value. I had over 1000. The last one went out the door on Good Friday.

I had other reasons than you’re citing, but I felt an immediately liberating release getting out from under that sizeable (literal and figurative) weight. I found that vinyl played to a less-healthy version of me, and I really haven’t missed my collection all that much (although because it played such a big part in my life for so long, there has been a bit of a ‘phantom limb syndrome’ a few times).

Streaming and digital audio is ready for prime time now, and I happen to think we as a culture are at ‘peak vinyl’ in a lot of ways, so from the perspectives of getting good value from your collection and not missing it from a sound quality angle, I think it’s a good time.

22. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

if selling your LPs is your biggest regret in life you are doing pretty well i'd say. much worse things can happen...

rednedtugent, Mike-48 and timind like this.
  23. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

OK.

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

I liked this comment, but feel it needs a better endorsement so...

Tru dat.

rednedtugent and sublemon like this.
  25. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Personally I like to sit and listen to whole LPs and I do it frequently. If you don't do that or don't enjoy it, I would sell at least some of it off, and maybe the TT, and get a cheaper one. Physical items are replaceable and life is short.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.