Might sell up turntable front end and records.............any positive stories.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Linto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

While I couldn’t go totally vinyl free because there are a number of LP’s that just sound amazing, I often think that I need to drastically reduce my LP collection. I think if I could stop thinking that because I like an artist I must have every LP and pressing and just keep the best and most liked album, I could reduce the collection from 7000+ to 1500.

2. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Finally somebody that sounds like me. I sold all my albums except for my MOFI Abbey Road , U.K. Revolver , my Stones Exile Monarch Artisan copy and a handful of others. Turntable , speakers all gone. Why? For the same reason others have or are thinking of doing. Better format ( really? ) smaller storage ( can't argue that one ) whatever. I really bought the story that CD's were the future. Supposedly indestructible ( never believed that one at least). CD players in every car. Convenient and you could carry a bunch of them in the car to play. Today it is hard to find a car with a CD Player, especially if you want one that works. The CD technology was supposedly better sound wise. I would argue that has only been achieved in the past few years. Now I have went out and found all the albums I sold off except for a few hard to find 45's and then some. Never been happier having them back. I did however update in some ways to the 21st century. I have a smaller foot print. I have a VPI Turntable run thru a Budgie phono to a set of audioengine A5+ powered speakers. I set that on top of an IKEA entertainment cabinet which looks like a relic from the 60's. deep enough to fit my albums and about 4 1/2 ft long. Holds my 200 plus albums with room for about 30 or so more ( keeping options open for new bands or a better remaster copy of a classic I already own). I even moved this and the rest of my family's belongings from Kansas City to Phoenix. So yeah, I am in it for the long haul. They will have to pry my records from my cold dead hands. I learned my lesson, at least for me this is true.

Pancat and punkmusick like this.
  3. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

A few months ago I agonized over this issue and decided to keep my turntable. Now everything is up in the air again because we are moving to a smaller house.

We'll be making alterations to the new house so it is an opportunity get our living space just the way we want it. However, it is a threat in that my wife is looking at the hifi and saying that she doesn't want the new house to be so busy.

We are incompatible in that she likes to relax with rubbish TV and I with music. I am worried music gets squeezed out when we create our new open plan living space.

Therefore, I am thinking of pairing things down to just the bare essentials - TV, streamer, stereo speakers with stack of amps, etc. on each side.

My current thinking is to create a little study with a much more modest system on the desk as sound for my pc. I would put the turntable, vinyl storage and NAS in that room.

OK the sound from vinyl will not be fantastic but at least the turntable survives and I'll have good digital in the main system. Hopefully, I'll be able to sneak the turntable back into the main room when my wife's minimalistic fervour subsides.

4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Any positive stories the OP asked. Sure, for the guy who buys the albums at about 25% of their actual value. That's about all you will get if you sell the whole collection all at once, assuming they are in great condition. Someone else has to do the work of reselling on ebay, etc., for what they are truly worth, unless you find someone who actually wants ALL or most of the titles in your collection. So, it could be a win-win situation for all concerned. You win with more space, the buyer wins with a nice collection and/or a nice profit if they are desirable lps.

5. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I moved from a larger home to a 1000 square foot condo about two years ago.
    I had about 500 albums and about 1200 CDs.
    Let me state, I love both formats.
    I made the decision to sell my TT and the albums.
    I simply did not have the room to keep both formats and decided it is easier to maintain
    a large CD collection than an album collection, keeping future purchases in mind.
    I have not missed my vinyl.
    However when we moved to the condo, after a year we decided it was not for us yet and moved again.
    I now have my basement music room back probably have room for the vinyl again but still no regrets and my CD collection has grown to about 1800.
    Glen

The Pinhead and Fishoutofwater like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sell the lp12 while people are still paying daft prices and replace with something simpler that likely will sound as good. Sell records you don't want as collector items, will never play or are duplicates. Retain a decent collection of your favourites and best pressings. You will raise some money and not live to regret it. Sell them yourself on Ebay and get the right value (though it may take some time).

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I still have all my vinyl from aged 2 and onwards. I'm 47 now and are part of my DNA. They are a pain to cart around from house move, but the pleasure is one of the best there is.

Maybe sell some records that are worth money that you really will never play again. I do that from time to time, but less and less recently. My floor space is shrinking!

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

If the time has come, then move on.
    Keep at least 50 of your most prized, get some LP frames to keep them relevant as revolving art work.
    If no room to keep the table hooked up, moth ball it so that when the bug hits, as it will, it can be pulled out to satisfy that old itch, then put it away until the next time.
    Rock on!

timind and JMAC like this.
  9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I did as well. Now I have a vinyl system again, screwed up my foot and stop bothering with it (too much pain and hassle getting up and flipping records when I can just pick tunes from my iPad). Got leg amputated so now I can wheelchair up to the TT so I'm back listening to vinyl. Anyway, it has been my experience if you sell your stuff, you might regret it to the level that you repurchase another vinyl system.

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Obviously the LP12 doesn’t do it for you anymore....

11. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

It’s probably heresy to some, but when the CD became available I sold my turntable and all my albums. I haven’t looked back once. No more pops and ticks. I hated that!

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Not heresy, just a shame! If you embrace the ritual of cleaning vinyl properly, it's quite stunning how little noise, pops or ticks you'll hear. That said, you can love the music from any format, at least I can.

For me, records are just more...fun.

Dubmart likes this.
  13. toddfan

toddfan Forum Resident

About 5 years ago, I made the decision to sell my collection of about 3,000 LP's....I had been collecting since the mid-'60's. I had pretty much stopped buying LP's about after CD's came out...mostly because stores eventually stopped selling vinyl. When I sold, I kept the stuff near and dear to my heart: Todd Rundgren, Utopia, Emitt Rhodes and a few others. (When I stopped buying LP's, I continued to buy music and had accumulated about 1500 CD's).

It got to the point where I maybe played an LP once or twice a year...I had ripped the CD's to hard drive (an early convert) so most of my listening happened either in the car...or, from the computer streamed to an early Roku music streamer to the stereo.

So...the LP's became more of an inconvenience to store..and, worse, MOVE if we happened to move to a different home. I made the decision to sell them, and used the money to buy a couple new guitars...lol.

The only time I regret selling the LP's is when I read a thread here extolling the virtues of some first pressing LP that I used to own....but, other than that I really do not miss them. I much prefer to be able to go the computer and pull up what I want to hear on Roon and send it to the stereo. Now, I still enjoy going to RSD once a year and getting a few things on vinyl...now, I have maybe 175 LP's (that I still rarely play) and they all hold a special place.

I'd say...keep your treasured items...and sell the rest!

timind likes this.
  14. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Someone here who was obliged to do it after a traumatic injury pretty soon realised I'd struggle to work again. I knew I couldn't keep up with the cost of vinyl and needed £.

At that point I Didn't even have a CDP, sold a lot of vinyl via GEMM (I believe it folded), made £6000 in about 6months. Sold my LP12 and some more records and bought my Meridian, the only CDP I could live with. I did needledrops of most of my vinyl, that was interesting as I heard things I forgotten I had.

Mistake absolutely not but I doubt I would have done it by choice. Living very happily with my system and don't dwell on the loss at all and my needledrops sound rather good.

I think I raised £8000 from the vinyl and still a fair bit left, my daughter got her eye on it but nearly choked when I told her what I got for my deck secondhand, I think she may be taking stock.

If you're not playing vinyl you've potentially got a fair bit of money locked away.

One of my friends sold his at record fairs and could take upto £1000 in a day and given the fad element perhaps a good time to sell.

If I had any money I'm impressed by the Naim streamer, dream on:help:.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  15. Pastafarian

I should have said I directed my friend to Discogs as he's got 12" singles he was thinking about selling they're Metroplex white label imports and they're going for about £70 -£80 each. He's booked the holiday:cool:

timind likes this.
  16. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Got the turntable disconnected and moved out of the system rack and into a storage location finally. Set my DAC, headphone amp and headphone stand on the top shelf where the TT was. Now just have to move the LP's out of the room to free up space. Not going to get rid of any of it yet, just moving out of sight for now.

17. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Around the year 2000 or so I sold my 3000 LPs, my SOTA Sapphire turntable with Eminent Technology tonearm and Grado TLZ-V cartridge and Nitty Gritty record cleaning machine. My friend still has his own SOTA, Sumiko Premier FT-3 tonearm and Grado TLZ-V cartridge and I appreciate the superior sound of analog. However I do not regret the PITA it was to clean and take proper care of my records and keep my SOTA in perfect tune. I have 5000 CDs now and I am happy.

timind likes this.
  18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Keep the Linn, slim the collection - especially the duplicates - to save space.

19. Pastafarian

Having read others experience the one thing I would like is the lp cover to hold as I listen to the needledrop, as I can often recall where, when and the times around that particular musical phase.

I'll have to find one in bad condition with a good cover.

If you do decide to sell i strongly advise needledrops, if I hadn't have done that:doh:

20. Pastafarian

I regret I passed up on the opportunity to record my friends collection of Jamaican 7" singles, as they were so full of clicks and pops I deemed them unlistenable, now that was a big big mistake, as I now know I'd be able to rectify that problem.

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, but try parking it in London, which is the kinda situation the OP faces.

eddiel likes this.
  22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ve been like that as well, but streaming services have filled that void, in the same manner that I’ll use them to try something before buying.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I remember when I used to see a couple of huge Cadillacs from the 70's parked in Camden. Took up about three European sized car spots and I could never figure out how they could get it out of their based on the side street routes onto the high street. I figured they managed to get it in and the reason I never saw them driving it was because they couldn't get it out. :)

Dave S likes this.
  24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

A lot of British towns and cities are like that. Small houses too, with not much possibility of an upgrade to larger premises.

eddiel likes this.
  25. Pastafarian

I was in a secondhand record shop in Leeds and two, if you want to be cruel, hipsters, were swooning over Television's Marque Moon , which was being played.

One was educating the other about how influential they'd been, quick chat and I found out one had just bought it. I'd rate it just about good, the price £50. B52's 1st album yours for £45, Jim Reeves £15(???).

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.