Mike Flanagan's Top Indie Horror List

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scotian, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed Thread Starter

Seeing as how this genre seems to be all I watch for movies anymore, I ran across this a couple of days ago. Being a big Mike Flanagan fan, I figured I’d check out his suggestions that I haven’t seen already. Watched Lake Mungo last night & while I was interested for the first half hour or so, it pretty much turned into a yawn fest. I've seen The Endless, which was really good. I loved A Dark Song, one of my favorites from the last couple of decades. I thought I’d put the list here to generate some discussion. It was from early 2021 so its slightly outdated but not bad.

Mike Flanagan’s Stuck-At-Home Binge Guide: Indie Horror Hits and Overlooked Gems << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

DPK, ghoulsurgery and finslaw like this.
  2. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Glad to see The Blackcoat’s Daughter on there. That’s my favorite horror movie of the last several years. I’ll watch anything Oz Perkins does based on the strength of that one.

been meaning to watch Tigers Are Not Afraid for a while. Maybe tomorrow

Scott57 likes this.
  3. Scotian

Also, for the record, Mike Flanagan's Midnight Mass is a masterpiece.

4. Scotian

I love lists like this from someone I respect. I'm always looking for suggestions.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  5. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Midnight Mass was very very good. I like the slow pace and the way it built up. Once the gates were opened, things got amped up quickly. The mythology of the show is very cool. He did an excellent job of showing how one person’s revelatory experience can be someone else’s worst nightmare

Scotian likes this.
  6. Scotian

It was a pleasure to watch, not just for the story, the acting or the writing. The filmmaking process itself under his direction was lovely to watch. For me, it was as close to perfect as I think I've seen.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  7. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Nice, I've only seen 2 of them. In Flanagan I trust, the man has created 3 of my favorite short run mini-series and the followup that most outperforms the original (Ouija, in case someone thought I meant The Shining.) Looks like I have some watching to do.

This thread would be a good springboard for newer underwatched horror movies. One somewhat recent favorite (and IMO best Italian horror in a decade) is the 2014 Neverlake. Nevermind the Edward wannabe.

ghoulsurgery and Scotian like this.
  8. Scotian

A24 is an interesting studio to keep track of what they're releasing. They put out some pretty strange (to me, some people like it) arthouse type stuff, but a lot of it is fantastic. Hereditary, The Witch, Everything Everywhere al At Once & so on.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  9. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Neon studios is doing some wild stuff these days. They did the last 2 Cronenberg movies (Both David and Brandon) and I’m really excited for the upcoming Bunker and Enys Men, both under the Neon banner. I keep seeing trailers for those and they look super interesting

Scotian likes this.
  10. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing the list, there’s a few of those that I’d like to see, just not sure how to stream in Canada. I haven’t heard of Possum or Lake Mungo and they look interesting.

I have to say, Midnight Mass didn’t do it for me and I gave up after a few episodes, maybe I’ll give that another go because I do like slow building moody series.

cheers

Scotian likes this.
  11. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I like the list - seen three of them and started "A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night" Wednesday and will probably finish it today.

I really like Flanagan's TV series. I didn't feel like he stuck the landing on the two films I've seen (Gerald's Game and Dr Sleep), but that doesn't mean I won't watch him again. Excited to see what happens with The Dark Tower, hopefully it erases the bad taste left by the film.

12. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Interesting list. I've seen most of those films. I really enjoyed They Look Like People. It's not really a horror film; it stayed with me for days after. I'm also a big fan of A Dark Song and The Endless. I really like the way that a lot of modern horror-especially the Mike Flanagan type of horror-embrace drama and melancholy. Nothing you really want to watch if you have suicidal ideation.

One very uplifting horror film I did see recently was A Ghost Waits. It's a really low budget horror comedy about a guy who is hired to clean out a house that turns out to be haunted. He and the ghost fall in love. It's real feel good movie and very funny too.

Scotian and ghoulsurgery like this.
  13. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I've seen and enjoyed about half of the movies listed. Guess I'll have to track down the others.

14. Scotian

I watched A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. Very interesting visually with good lead actors. Not a very complicated storyline. I'd like to see a sequel. Interesting to see a horror movie set in Iran even if it wasn't shot there.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  15. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Did you ever check out Tigers Are Not Afraid? I loved everything about it; the writing, directing, cinematography, setting, effects and the child actors gave powerful performances. It's a unique horror movie that will stick with you long after it ends. Best way I can describe it is a dark fairy tale set in a Mexican border town. Highly recommended if you like horror flicks.
    I watched it on the new season of The Last Drive-In With Joe Bob Briggs on AMC.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  16. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I haven’t yet. I think I meant to watch it after posting that but had trouble finding a place to stream it

Bruce Racket likes this.
  17. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

It's worth the hunt. I know it's on AMC right now as just the movie and on The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs. Not sure where else you can find it. Good luck with the search!

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  18. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

It was on a Shudder for a long while, but I don't know if it is still there (Shudder has been having problems, lately, due to AMC's financial issues). Great film.

ghoulsurgery and Bruce Racket like this.