Mike Love nominated for induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by idreamofpikas, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you really comparing Mick and Mike as songwriters? Come on. They are not on the same level, not close.

Darrin L. and oldsurferdude like this.
  2. mono-o-mono

mono-o-mono Forum Resident

Mike Love was not a primary lyricist on Good Vibrations. Not even close. Brian Wilson, Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks wrote the lyrics. Mike came up with the "I'm picking up good vibrations" lyric. That was it. Like with a few other Beach Boys songs Mike Love got a credit while the main lyricist got screwed and was pushed away from Brian.

Mike Love also made minimal changes to I’m Waiting For The Day.

idreamofpikas and Darrin L. like this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

That, sir, is a load of bull.

4. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

...according to Mike Love.

oldsurferdude and mono-o-mono like this.
  5. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Who knew this thread would turn acrimonious? Everyone put on Pisces Brothers and chill. #lessswitchblademorebutterfly

6. mono-o-mono

Just admit it. You are Mike Love arent you?

7. Daniel Plainview

According to anyone. If you want to trash him at least get your facts straight.

8. Daniel Plainview

You guys hear something?

*ignore*

9. mono-o-mono

Tony Asher, Van Dyke Parks, Roger Christian, Gary Usher to name a few.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  10. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Sure! I agree. But if we’re going to say those guys should get their due, how can we, in the same breath, cry foul about Mike getting a prop or two here and there? And again, Mike’s major ace in the hole is that he is an actual Beach Boy.

starduster and ajsmith like this.
  11. erikdavid5000

Ummmmmm, what? Asher’s lyrics are completely different to Mike’s. Go listen to the different versions and report back. Lol.

I guess Mike is the rock n roll version of the deep state? Rock n roll Alex Jones territory here.

starduster and ajsmith like this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I am no Mike Love apologist, but your statement is flat out wrong. Van Dyke Parks had nothing to do with "Good Vibrations". Tony Asher wrote the original lyrics which were almost completely overhauled by Mike Love in the final release. He was the primary lyricist and the results were better than what Asher delivered.

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Who is we?
    Sure he does. Why not? Those things are made to sell hamburgers. Mike Love fits right in.

starduster and Werner Berghofer like this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

In Japan, the Beach Boys are still popular and Mike is a hard worker. I remember in 2012, with Brian in the band, they played Chiba Marine Stadium, which holds 30,000. Eight months later they came back without Brian and played the Billboard Live club, which holds maybe 300-400 people. But, he comes back over and over again, seeming to genuinely enjoy being on stage and performing, regardless of the size of the audience.

I think he deserves to be recognized as a songwriter, as his work from 64-66 is great. I understand the skepticism because of the weakness of his output without Brian. His recent solo album, Unleash the Love, which I bought because Newbury Comics sold signed CD’s, features his songwriting for the first time in 25 years (since Summer in Paradise) and it is pretty awful. But, many artists have a brief period of tremendous productivity, after which they never produce again.

ajsmith and erikdavid5000 like this.
  15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Once you're in the Rock Hall or Songwriters Hall there aren't any rankings. Everyone is equal in a Three Musketeers kind of way.

16. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

It doesn't make him a talented songwriter....

17. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident Thread Starter

That is why it is crazy to think of Mike Love among them.

Cimrya Deal and oldsurferdude like this.
  18. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

But Mike Love is so very good at watering down the legacy as well. There's no one better or his equal at bringing the name down.

19. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

One person in the band undergoes mental care under doctors for his craziness, but it isn't Mike Love. The Hall rationally nominated Love for the time, effort, and inspiration he has invested into The Beach Boys' songs.

20. erikdavid5000

I’m sure the nominating board has an “appeals” apparatus. Perhaps your energy would be better directed there.

starduster, savemenow and ajsmith like this.
  21. mono-o-mono

The assertion we are making is that Mike Love did not contribute as he claims he claims. This is based on what others involved have said. He simply used the legal system to get extra credit because it was easy to manipulate his cousin who was in no state to defend himself.

22. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Well deserved Michael Edward Love

23. erikdavid5000

Mike claims to claim that he claims credit?

Whoever said Mike didn’t contribute what he claims to claim that he claims? Certainly not Brian. So who then? Dudes on messageboards?

The problem here is that guys are trying to present a reasonable and logical case against someone because they do not like the person in question. Always a messy prosecution. Al claimed he should have gotten a songwriting credit for Sloop John B because he presented Brian with the arrangement that Brian ran with. But everyone likes Al, so it’s all good. Hey, does anyone remember back in the 90’s when Carl was the bad guy? I’ll bet no one does. Ah, the joys of being a Beach Boys fan. It’s just nice that some of us can actually enjoy the music 100%. Lucky us.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    ARK, starduster and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  24. mono-o-mono

I miss typed that sentence. "as much as he claims".. Hey I love Mike Love's bass vocals on stuff like Wild Honey and this Whole World. I just think he's a liar and an *******. He would not care what I think however even if he didn't have such a massive ego.

25. erikdavid5000

None of that answers the question.

Again, it’s our feelings about Mike that seem to be the main thing here. There are different ways of looking at it. Many people got screwed over by Murray and Mike was one person who stood up to it and tried to correct things. Murray put Brian in the middle.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    starduster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.