Mike Love nominated for induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by idreamofpikas, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Brian being called a genius has actually done a lot of damage to The Beach Boys and their fans. Why can’t he just be a kick ass songwriter and leader of a great band? The minute he’s a genius, it creates a need to angrily defend him and prop him up like some kind of personal blowup doll/circus freak. Take away the genius term and all that comes with it, I doubt anyone would bother being offended by some other guy in the band getting a little award.

2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Has Brian been inducted or at least nominated?

3. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

4. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Yep, some people on this board HATE Mike Love. For what, exactly? There’s so much about this band that nobody actually knows. I love Brian but, man, he’s worshipped. They both did stupid things.

5. erikdavid5000

Here’s a list of some awards Brian has deservedly won, not including his Kennedy Center Honor in 2007.

No, the planet it not off it’s axis with Mike being lauded as a genius from all corners of the world:

Brian Wilson - Awards - IMDb

starduster likes this.
  6. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a bit late to complain about that now. The Beach Boys themselves chose to market Brian as a genius, the tag, whether deserved or nor, stuck.

There are always going to be arguments within large fandoms, if it was not about Brian's 'genius' it would be about something else, and the Beach Boys have a lot of 'something elses' for fans to disagree about. It's one of the reasons, other than the music, why they have remained so popular.

7. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Uh, wasn't it Brian himself declaring that he wasn't a genius, but just a hard working guy?? The Beach Boys had one and only one musical genius and that was Brian Wilson. No one in their right mind would label Mike Love a genius, maybe a hanger on, but definitely not anywhere near a genius.

8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Cool.
    Overall, Mike still co-wrote many classic songs with Brian back in the day and there are definitely some solid writing from him on those mid period efforts (“Big Sur” anyone?) Beyond lyrics, he was also responsible for many of the books in those early tunes.
    For all the criticism that’s been thrown his due, he was still an important part of the band.

Aurora, Grand_Ennui, Hall Cat and 3 others like this.
  9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I’ll give Mike credit for Warmth Of The Sun among his best work. The lyrics are evocative and work perfectly with Brian’s music to convey exactly the feeling they were trying to achieve.

10. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

He's in the A*****e Hall of Fame for sure. Let's not forget this pearl of wisdom. Start at 3:49

11. erikdavid5000

I think Dennis came damn close to genius.

12. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Regarding Good Vibrations, from Wikipedia:

‘His cousin and bandmate Mike Love contributed the song's lyrics and its bass vocalization in the chorus

Good enough for me!

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  13. Well deserved, as genius lyrics like "she's givin' me excitations" and radically original, not at all stupid songs like "Student Demonstration Time" show.

14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

They pale in comparison to the genius of Brian's "Smart Girls".

15. erikdavid5000

I’m so sorry you can’t enjoy the music of The Beach Boys. It must be hell. My condolences.

JoeRockhead and Hall Cat like this.
  16. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Oh God!?!

Darrin L. and oldsurferdude like this.
  17. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Oh God!?!

Darrin L. and oldsurferdude like this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Of course I hope you get all the chords correct!
    Great changes in this one.
    We wait in vein lol!
    :D

Rfreeman likes this.
  19. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

This. 100% this. To offer up an imperfect analogy which is actually much more sympathetic than this reality, Levon Helm would tweak little things here or there in a number of The Band’s songs, but it’s pretty well understood that the themes, melodies, and general bulk of these songs were composed by Robbie, whatever your views of these two as individual human beings. Does that merit getting into a songwriter’s hall of fame? Not to me, it doesn’t.

And now replace Levon with Love, and see how much less sympathetic his case is. He’s basically a baker who adds a layer of frosting on a masterpiece cake that’s already been made. I mean, come on...adding “Good night, oh baby, sleep tight oh baby?” That’s masterclass songwriting? Have you ever heard his solo albums?

If this merits inclusion into the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame, I nominate Ashlee Simpson and Milli Vanilli for consideration to be nominated.

20. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

His name is on the credits for some of the greatest songs produced in the last 60 years. Whether his input was necessary to make those songs great is arguable, but it would be difficult to deny him his place.

Agree Dennis is more worthy. Carl wrote some fantastic stuff but, to my mind, there wasn’t enough of it and it didn’t leave much of a legacy.

21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

There's such an interesting thought that has bothered me.
    Carl wrote 'Long Promised Road' which he exclaimed as being the first song he wrote,
    which is perfection!
    But then nothing really emerged after that.
    How can a guy write something like this, then not deliver....
    Unless he also has more great stuff unreleased.
    Puzzling to me.

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think Love added the most memorable hook of Wouldnt It Be Nice - as quoted by you. Did he come up with the melody there or just the words? If he came up with both, I think that's an argument towards including him.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  23. Indeed. Without Brian Wilson's music his lyrics would be absolutely nothing.

24. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Yes, he’s been nominated, not inducted. The thread title is jumping the gun. There are a multitude of songwriters who have been nominated this year; the inductees won’t be announced until next summer.

The 2020 Nominees for the Songwriters Hall of Fame

25. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Now, be careful. You don't want to bruise Brian's feelings. He might become so upset at the criticism that he won't want to share his music with us anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.