Mike Love nominated for induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by idreamofpikas, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Will Brian do the honors of inducting?

[​IMG]

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

And without Mike's lyrics connecting with audiences, there is a good chance none of us would have heard Brian's beautiful music.

3. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I don’t disagree with this but, if a player has an award winning season on his team, we don’t try to take that honour away. Love wrote lyrics to some of the greatest songs of all time. Sure, he needs a great collaborator and only really rose to that level in the 60s but I don’t hear anyone say Chuck Berry didn’t deserve any awards because of his mediocre work in the 70s.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  4. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

I don't love this choice.

5. Christian Hill

I Love this.

6. Christian Hill

JOHN LENNON DRAWING AND INSCRIPTION TO MIKE LOVE OF THE BEACH BOYS CIRCA 1968

"with love to dear mike love from dear john lennon goodbye and see you round the world or somewhere if not england or the disunited states."

[​IMG]

Ken Wood likes this.
  7. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I think he's more deserving of that honor. :laugh:

ShockControl likes this.
  8. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

You shouldn’t do Mike a disservice with the words ‘little turd’.

From Brian’s autobiography, didn’t Mike boast about making a 14inch turd?

oldsurferdude likes this.
  9. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Mike Love wrote "Surfin' Safari" on his own (all of the lyrics and melody). Levon Helm does not have a "Surfin' Safari" under his belt, nor did he collaborate with other members of The Band as Mike has with The Beach Boys and the team that wrote "Kokomo". Poor analogy.

10. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Brian never hired Mike. They formed The Beach Boys together, democratically, along with Dennis, Al, and Carl.

11. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Like the Boss once said...

12. Crazydiamond

Crazydiamond Forum Resident

Please, putting Mike Love in the same company of Paul Simon, Lennon McCartney, Ray Davies, Pete Townsend, etc. is an insult a real song writers. Oddly, I don’t believe Mike love ever considered himself a songwriter back in the 1960s or 1970s.

13. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

It's interesting how so much hate is allowed on these forums to "certain" artists. Now...if this were a Yoko thread, many of these posts would get deleted, lol. Heck, the thread would probably be shut down.

Grand_Ennui and Ryan Lux like this.
  14. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Love deserves every bit of it. Yoko didn't.

15. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

No songwriting credit for Mike Love on such early classics as "Surfer Girl", "In My Room", "Little Deuce Coupe", "Surfin' U.S.A.", "Don't Worry Baby"...

It's impossible to hypothetically gauge how likely it would have been that Brian Wilson would have become a musical success without Mike Love, but the above list alone suggests to me that Brian Wilson was responsible for their early sound and appeal more than anyone. The amount of early Beach Boys hits penned without Mike Love may not be overwhelming, but the amount of great songs ever penned solely by Mike Love is a total of zero. His induction wouldn't bother me, but the idea that he is critical to Brian Wilson's success is not only unprovable but also I think, unlikely.

16. Christian Hill

Ono they wouldn't

17. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

You win half of a royalty settlement from your cousin and you're eligible for the Songwriter's Hall of Fame.

19. Crazydiamond

Crazydiamond Forum Resident

Mike Love being mentioned as a songwriter is akin to saying Ringo Starr is a songwriter for coming up with the song title for the Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows.

Darrin L. and oldsurferdude like this.
  20. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

If you say so. Carrying around this kind of hate is usually reserved for someone you've actually met.

Of course, Brian was responsible for most of the Beach Boy's success. Even Mike says this. Are you people aware that it's been proven that his name was kept off of California Girls for 30+ years? How would you feel about that loss of income and prestige?

JoeRockhead and savemenow like this.
  21. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Undeserving. Case closed. The Coattail Rider.

22. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Someone, make this read on my gravestone.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  23. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I don't know what proof there is of that, but even if there is, writing the lyrics and melody of "Surfin' Safari" is probably not something most music aficionados would think is Songwriter's Hall of Fame worthy. I've spent my whole life so far avoiding the use of the word "pablum", but it's hovering around dangerously here.

24. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

Mike Love wrote “Surfin’ Safari” all on his own? Isn’t it credited to Mike and Brian?

And you’re saying his collaboration with Melcher et al. furthers his nomination cause? Why? Levon collaborated with other Band members to write songs far better than“Kokomo,” which, incidentally, one of the most abominable pieces of junk ever recorded. It’s perhaps the only time I’ll say that I’m thankful Dennis was dead by then so he didn’t have to hear it.

Oh wait, and “Lookin’ Back With Love.” Make that two times

oldsurferdude, Darrin L. and SRC like this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Not saying he deserves a writers credit, but Ringo's drumming is without question my favorite asoect of Tomorrow Never Knows, followed by Paul's tape loops. Melody and lyrics are distinctly mediocre.

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.