Miles Davis biopic starring Don Cheadle - "Miles Ahead"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FrontalLobe, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrontalLobe

FrontalLobe New Member Thread Starter

Haven't heard much about this in a while...

2. Good question.

I like Cheadle a lot but still have some serious concerns that this will get done right or not.

Hopefully its more about his music and influence than his lifestyle choices....

3. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Some info in an interview with Cheadle from last July:
    http://www.shockya.com/news/2011/07/29/don-cheadle-talks-the-guard-and-planned-miles-davis-film/

"Yeah, except I wouldn’t call it a biopic. We’re working on a film about a couple days in Miles’ life, and it’s wall-to-wall his music, and wall-to-wall him.

"It’s actually during his silent period. It’s a very interesting take on the genre, to me. And that’s why I’m excited about it, because it’s not a cradle-to-grave, right-down-the-middle story where you’re [hitting all these biographical] benchmarks, like when he met Charlie Bird, and was introduced to John Coltrane. It’s not trying to be what I think a PBS show could do much better, which is an overview of Miles Davis’ life. It’s a movie that Miles Davis would have wanted to star in."
    [...]
    "It’s written, it’s done, and we’re getting the money together right now to go this fall. But every time I talk about this I kind of get slammed a bit because people get the wrong idea, so I’m just going to keep my cards close to my vest until we’re up and running."

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I don't have a good feeling about this, even if it is produced. The only jazz biopic that ever worked for me was Round Midnight, loosely based on Bud Powell. But that was a very focused script that showed only a short period of the musician's life and made fundamental changes that allowed it all to come together. The filmmakers are off to a good start with a very focused script about a couple days during a specific period of Miles. But I think the stars will all have to align to make it work and it's hard for me to accept Cheadle as Miles. The thing about Round Midnight was that Dexter Gordon had so much gravity and charisma that he carries the film.

Round Midnight...now there's something I wish was on Blu-ray. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=sr_1_1&s=movies-tv&qid=1329895511&sr=1-1

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I never really warmed to Round Midnight. I think this could work. And I hope it makes it to the screen. We'll see. Lots to do in between.

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Round Midnight is one of my top 10 favorite movies. I've owned it on VHS, Laserdisc, and DVD. I would love to own it on Blu-Ray.

7. mtatmba

mtatmba Forum Resident

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=838871

General discussion:
    Does the actor have the Chops to blow the part?
    As in a Jackie Robinson bio you have to mention Pee Wee Reese,
    Who is your choice for Miles or Gil Evans?
    My choice Harrison Ford or Clint Eastwood (for Evans of course!)

8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Excellent choice!

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Great choice. One of the best actors in the world. Hotel Rwanda, anyone?

bferr1, Naughty Chord and Szeppelin75 like this.
  10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That was the first question that came to mind. Some actors put on or lose weight to play a famous person. Can Cheadle develop the chops to play Miles? At least he isn't trying to play Jon Faddis. :D

11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

If he can get the voice down, that should work.

12. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

His awful Cockney accent in Ocean's Eleven was evened out by a pretty good one in Hotel Rwanda, so here's hoping.

13. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I knew Cheadle's name was associated with a Miles biopic a few years ago but I didn't realize he's the actual one driving the project. I also didn't realize that he's focusing on Miles' retirement years which seems an likely choice for a movie on an iconic jazz figure like Miles. Not sure you would have much of Gil Evans with that focus. In fact you might not have many musician characters appearing in the movie at all.

14. Good choice.

Just occurred to me that Denzel Washington would be perfect for the part of John Coltrane (in terms of looks, anyway), though he may be "too old".

e.s. and heepsterandrey like this.
  15. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

16. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

The story is about Miles' mid-70s retirement so no Coltrane. EDIT: maybe there will be flashbacks so who knows what we'll see. Two music types who might appear could be Al Foster and Paul Buckmaster. Paul Tingen tells the story of someone (maybe Buckmaster) who was staying with Miles and fell asleep in a chair and woke up to see a cockroach scurry across his body. This could be a very bleak movie, with his re-emergence from retirement as the happy ending.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  17. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

DC seems like a great choice to play MD.

18. Hey, that's what CGI is for! Better than Botox.

Anyway, indeed Cheadle is a good choice to play Miles Davis. If he isn't chain-smoking now though, he'd better get started to get the voice right. :)

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  19. Love Don Cheadle, wary of the Holllywood treatment of a life lived such as Miles.

20. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

If he blows the part, doesn't that mean he lacks the chops?

21. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Remains to be seen, but apart from "Control" and (coincidently, but both had great directors) "24 Hour Party People" which I both love and got good critical reviews I've never seen a music biopic that wasn't either bloody awful or at the best average, which other good ones am I missing?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

If they call the movie In A Silent Way, he won't have to play at all.

:doh:

stevemoss likes this.
  23. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

I had my money on Samuel L Jackson:D

Say It Right likes this.
  24. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Good choice but there are plenty of unknown actors who could most likely nail the role. Don gets plenty of work a lot of other great black actors do not.

e.s. likes this.
  25. He'll also be directing so it makes sense that he'd want to play Miles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.