Miles Davis' best live album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pig whisperer, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I'd go with My Funny Valentine and Jazz At The Plaza. I don't really play the live fusion stuff too often.

2. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I'll go with the complete Plugged Nickel in the Mosaic LP box. Something really stimulating about just listening and flipping sides. You can end up spending a whole afternoon that way!

3. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I'm still tryng to hunt down a vinyl copy of Pangaea. I've heard mixed things about it.

I have an abbreviated comp I think called "Cookin at the Plugged Nickel" from the Columbia Jazz Masterworks series I believe. Not sure how representative that is, though I don't recall being blown away by it.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A better sample was the 2-LP set that was in print on Columbia for a short time in the 80's (and in Japan before that).

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Forum member evilcat has been trying to keep track on all the release variations for these two albums, here's a few threads to check out:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=140588

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=174842

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=188340

6. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

For some reason I love Friday and Saturday Night At The Blackhawk the best. Despite the bad rap is gets for Hank Mobleys playing on it Miles sounds amazing, plus I am huge Wynton Kelly freak.

There is also a Paris 67 show that is very much worth tracking down.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Very fine album for those that like the electric period Miles. For those that do not like the electric period, it's not up there in the top five live sets.

8. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

i really love Cellar door sessions with Keith Jarrett.

9. 926am

926am Senior Member

The Cellar door sessions

Double Image (1969)

Winter in Europe 1967

all great...

10. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I like the Plugged Nickel. Anyone looking for a copy at a reasonable price should contact "Long In The Tooth" in Philadelphia. Just google it. I think the price was $110 for a clean used copy. (Saw it again on Friday but it has been there for 10+ weeks).

If anyone has a copy of the Complete Montreux box set that they would be willing topart with, please contact me. I wasn't really interested in this set initially, so I blew a chance earlier this year to buy a used copy for $100. Just looking to complete my Miles box sets since I completed my metal spine collection 2 months ago.

11. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

strangely (?), i prefer Pangaea... it's more "fusional", and as i am a kid from the late sixties/early seventies, it represents perfectly what i loved at that time. it's a little bit like Traffic on the road in a (far) more experimental way.

bluejimbop likes this.
  12. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

13. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I think I have every live Miles release up to 1975. Every one of them is something special. I think that is why you see so many different favorites listed here. It's like going fishing in a barrel full of fish.

Having said that, a live release from the 70's will sound tremendously different than one from the 50's or 60's. Everybody has their own favorite period of Miles. Some people like myself, love it all and can't pick a favorite. If you want to start checking out live Miles I would recommend you listen to the various bands and evolving styles. That way you can jump in at the point that initially sounds most interesting to you. Down the road it will pay off to check it all out. It's one of the most rewarding musical catalogues you can dive into.

rufusbass and bluejimbop like this.
  14. JMY 1003, arguably gray-market (at worst), given copyright laws where and when it was issued.

Though stylistically very different (and clearly a product of the 2nd Quintet), IMHO the 6-Nov-67 version of Round Midnight rivals the well-known Columbia version of 9/56 -- and is (to my ears) noticeably more 'epic' and 'well-though-out' in the opening intro by Miles, than any of close to a dozen other versions I've heard by Miles.

This is my 'go-to' live Miles recording. I love The Plugged Nickel material, but the '67 band was way more refined, and Miles' chops were in much better condition.

15. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I prefer to listen to the more laidback stuff of Miles Davis. Doesn't matter if it's a small band or the music with bigger bands, but so far Kind Of Blue, Miles Ahead, Someday My Prince Will come, Cookin' are my favourites. Then My Funny Valentine probably is a good choice when it's time to get some live recording, right?

Fender Relic likes this.
  16. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Agree. The band sounds like wild animals just escaped from the zoo. Terrific record:edthumbs:

17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

What's the correct release date of Black Beauty? I've seen several different dates given for the album, depending on what source you're reading....

- AMG lists it as 1970.
    - RYM lists it as 1973.
    - The back of the Columbia/Legacy CD reissue says 1977.

Which is correct?

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

IIRC, the Japanese vinyl was issued in 1970 and the obi said it was the world premier issue of Black Beauty.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Dark Magus

~live in 1974

20. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

Absolutely! It's an incredible live album by any measure, but seems especially well suited for your taste in Miles.

- Joe

21. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

The session was recorded in April 1970 at the Fillmore West
    I had thought the Japan first release LP was SOPJ 39-40 in 1973 (CBS/Sony)?
    The first (LP) re-issue could have been 1977 (not sure), there were many of them (for CD's eg 1983, early 1990's, late 1990's, etc)

Wade through Losin's excellent site
    http://plosin.com/milesAhead/

22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

My bad. After further search, it looks that the one is the first issue and was issued in 1973. That makes sense with the various dates in post #68, too.

23. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Thanks. I will put this on my long term purchase list :righton:

24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Were there many different editions of this album on CD? Just wondering if there's a particular CD i should track down (or avoid!). :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.