Miles Davis' best live album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pig whisperer, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

In Person - Friday And Saturday Nights At The Blackhawk, San Francisco and Live At The Plugged Nickel are tied at the top of the heap for me.

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I have this album as well, bought it in the late 90s in a brick n mortar store(!), and it seemed quite legitimate to me. I like it better than the plugged nickel (I only have the 1 cd 'sampler of that), it seems better recorded, more audible bass, the trumpet isn't as piercing, and yes, they had been touring quite a bit that year and the band was as tight as they ever would be.

Miles played very little in 1965 after the January ESP sessions, he had surgery, a long recovery, and did not play live much before the late December Plugged Nickel engagement.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Pretty sure there has only been one mastering of Live Around The World.

4. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I'm still looking for that on vinyl.

5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The 1970 Tanglewood recording is stunning.

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I love Agharta.

It kills some earlier live Miles albums imo, Four And More for example.

7. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

The new release of the 1967 European stuff is amazing; I got to hear some off of Rhapsody. I am getting the box. My favorites are the Blackhawk stuff, the 1970 Fillmore East stuff and (now) the 1967. I remain a not Plugged Nickel dude - just can't get down with the sound quality and Miles playing on that one despite how innovative and on the edge the band is.

8. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I really love Agharta and Pangea. I do look at them as completely different animals than earlier Miles like Four And More. I would love to see Agharta and Pangea remastered and expanded. This time frame would be a great place for The Bootleg Series Vol.2 to go next. It would be phenomenal to have a box set of shows from this era.

I love the Plugged Nickel but can understand how Miles' tone and playing might rub some raw. The new 1967 release really is a gem of a set, what a band!

9. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

The Complete Concert 1964 contains My Funny Valentine and Four and More, and can be found pretty cheap. It's the best live material from my favorite period Miles.

There might be better-sounding masterings of this material elsewhere, though -- anybody care to comment on that?

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Seven Steps box set has the concert in its original order, while the Complete Concert retains the order of the LPs (mostly ballads on My Funny Valentine and mostly uptempo material on Four & More). Mastering is likely better on the box set but I haven't compared it personally.

JeffMo likes this.
  11. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

There'e no way you can compare the two, it's totally different music.
    As time goes by, I seem to prefer the "jazz" bands. Used to prefer the mid 70's stuff, but it's quite uneven and not so mysterious after you figure out the working methods.
    My favorite fusion set is currently Isle of Wight. It's just incredible, space music. Blows away Bitches Brew.

12. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Same here. The new 1967 set is becoming my favorite live Miles set. Very powerful music, wonderfully recorded and mastered in mono. Very recommended.

13. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

The new Bootleg '67 is shaping up nicely.

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Is that the one from Bitches Brew Live?

15. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

My Funny Valentine is probably my favorite.

16. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Correct. The set was released in other places previously, but it sounds tremendous on BB Live.

17. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

Saturday Night at The Blackhawk is the one that does it for me. I close my eyes and I am there. The only Davis CD I've listened to more than this is 'Kind of Blue.'

18. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Agreed. This might just be my new favorite live Miles. That band seriously was kicking it at that point.

19. Philsyson

Philsyson Member

The new bootleg beats plugged nickel hands down. It's the 2nd quintet when everything comes together ... Cerebral and passionate at the same time

20. Philsyson

Philsyson Member

21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The band and Miles are at a peak, for sure....it's just sad that Columbia didn't do a proper live recording of it and all we have now are mono recordings instead of multitracks to work with.

22. There's a 10 disc DVD version out now too!

23. Philsyson

Philsyson Member

Personally I prefer the overall sound quality of the bootleg cd to the plugged nickel. The latter sounds tinny and jarring with Miles uncharacteristically weak playing far too upfront.

The bootleg mastering turns an inferior source into a far superior overall group sound..., IMHO

bluejimbop likes this.
  24. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Just noticed I got very few Miles Davis Live recordings compared to the amount of studio works although i am not always sure if live or studio. Too many to keep track of in my mind.
    I am playing In Tokyo and in Berlin the most. The latest additions were In Den Haag and Live In Manchester. Radio broadcasts now released on CD in europe mainly because of that 25 year license thing I guess. Early to mid 60ies. Collaborations with Charly Parker, Monk at Newport, John Coltrane - That red Cd with John & Miles ( Milestones ) that is a Live recording or not ?
    Complete Birdland Sessions (?)
    Birth of Cool, we want Miles and DIG . not sure what is studio and what is live ?
    Playing the Highlights from Plugged Nickels atm. and was disappointed first.The sound quality is good, but Miles sounds as if he was sick and the audience makes too much noise; but it is getting better, nice piano solo with a little bit of stand up bas and percussions to back him up.
    Name of that tune is YESTERDAYS !
    Awesome.
    Something's wrong with Miles imo. He is too often out of tune and plays not really clean, other parts are okay for his usual standard.

Other than this Miles In Berlin rules just a nod over Tokyo imo

bluejimbop likes this.
  25. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Another vote for 'My funny Valentine'.

DTK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.