Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool...there's no good version on CD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fortune, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member Thread Starter

:laugh: But you hear it now, right?

2. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Indeed!

3. George P

George P Notable Member

It does!

4. Wipin Dsser

Wipin Dsser Active Member

2014 guys! The RVG is still the best? What about the new HDtracks version? Any information about the mastering? What about the best versions of Miles Davis Vol.1 and Vol.2? The Rudy Van Gelder remaster is the best version? Is different from the HDtracks one? There is a box set too called Miles Davis Take Off: The Complete Blue Note Albums.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The HDtracks version sounds better than the RVG CD.

I think the new Blue Note box is just repackaging of existing masterings.

6. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Does the 1989 CD made in USA have NR?

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Does the HD Tracks version have any limiting or sharp EQ like the RVG? That's the problem with the RVG. The EQ, you can kind of alleviate that with a sound editing program, but I wish they left the full dynamic range intact. Any way, if you do some EQ work, the RVG is definitely better than any edition that came before it, there's no mistaking that the other CD's were mastered from heavily futzed dubs when you compare them to the RVG.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As far as I know Blue Note did not use noise reduction on their 1980s CDs.

9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I don't have many recordings from this period just yet, but comparing the sound quality of the "Birth of the Cool" sides to Masterpieces by Ellington, for example, is total night and day. Was BotC recorded on tape? If so, then there should be modern, audiophile mastering effort. I can't say I'm too pleased with my US Capitol CD, which may be bested by an early Japan, but I was hoping for a hi-res, audiophile SACD release (or otherwise excellent redbook).

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

If by this you mean the Miles Davis Blue Note material packages as the two cd set, they are new masterings by Kevin Reeves, from transfers by Bernie Grundman. They sound pretty darned good, though the new Japanese cds (from the same transfers I assume, but mastered by a different uncredited engineer) sound a bit better to me.

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Has "Birth" been mentioned as a potential MoFi release? I have been very pleased with the other Miles releases.

12. Lonson

No, it hasn't. The previous MoFi have been Columbia releases; Birth of the Cool were originally Capitol releases and have been reissued under Blue Note.

I honestly don't think that there is much interest in this and many other pre-hard bop titles by those who license and reissue jazz titles in audiophile editions.

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

What are the new Japan CDs? Catalog#, etc?

14. Lonson

15. Lonson

I don't believe that these selections were recorded on tape. Recordings that were made at WOR Studios in NYC in general do not sound nearly as good as those made by Columbia in the same time period.

jh901 likes this.
  16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Yeah, I use that site. Why did you link to Miles Davis Vol. 1 and Vol. 2? Hoping to track down the best representation of the BotC sides on CD.

17. Fortune

BoTC was all recorded on tape.

18. Lonson

Okay, thanks.

19. Lonson

Because you quoted a reply I made about the Miles Davis sides. At present there do not seem to be Japanese versions of Birth of the Cool in print, I haven't heard any, I was not referring to any.

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well, I sure hope that there's a nice analog source to work with. If so, then one of the audiophile labels should reissue on SACD.

21. Lonson

I'd like to see it, but I'd be surprised if one appeared.

22. Fortune

The original tapes were finally located for the RVG CD on the single reels at Capitol. But they really messed up the mastering on that CD. Who knows where the tapes are now, and if we'll ever get a proper mastering.

23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I won't play anything mastered by RVG, so yeah, those tapes must get into the hands of a competent engineer. Meantime, I'll chase down a "black triangle" or the 2nd Japan and hopefully get a little improvement over the US Capitol CD.

24. Fortune

I'm holding out to hear the Classic Records Bernie Grundman version!

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That's good to know. When I wrote my earlier post, I thought these were just repackagings of the old RVG masterings because the promo text did not mention a new mastering. The Grundman mastering is so superior to the RVG mastering that these are worth rebuying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.