Miles Davis documentary 'Birth Of The Cool'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by detroit muscle, Aug 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA Thread Starter

I couldn't find anything posted about this - looks good!

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

oh wow! im in

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  4. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

YES!!!!!!!

6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I just saw this trailer... Man it looks promising. Looking forward to it.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

8. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Shoot, I was thinking maybe the film was about the BotC sessions themselves. Not sure we need another Miles doc but we're getting one anyway and I'll see it eventually.

smilin ed likes this.
  9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

And BTW his auto biography is excellent. The narrator on the audio book sounds like Miles is reading it himself.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, I thought the same thing, heart skipped a beat. But of course, I'll be there as soon as it comes in town

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  11. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Just saw it. It's fascinating for Miles fans, naturally, but not all I'd hoped for from the trailer. It has some decent interview footage and acknowledges but tells us little about his habits and unpleasant side, which is somewhat at odds with how frank Miles was himself in acknowledging the facts. There's some glorious moments of old footage of him playing but not enough over the course of more than two hours ( but it was interesting to see live shots of him near the end showing a remarkable loss of vitality when he really was not that old, so you can see how the lifestyle took it's toll). The person I went with said it was too like listening to a lecture and slide presentation in places, so temper your expectations before you go and you likely won't be disappointed. Personally, I really enjoyed it and will watch it again at some point.

12. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Theatrical release ?

13. I'm assuming yes, but I'm not sure. It will almost certainly air on PBS sometime in the next 6(?) months, I'm guessing as part of their American Masters series (I would presume).

I saw the thing here in DC in a theater, on a documentary film fest back in April or May (I forget which). I thought it was quite good, but of course I could easily think of a dozen or more areas that deserved more attention, and a good 20 or 30 minutes more.

Overall, I'd give it an 8/10, but I was hoping for more of a solid 9. It's good, but don't expect every nook and cranny of his story to get enough attention.

Humbuster likes this.
  14. jeromesabbagh

jeromesabbagh Forum Resident

I totally want to see this!

15. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

16. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Radio likes this.
  17. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

18. This is airing SOON -- this week here in DC (and probably the same nationally).

I (suddenly, moments ago!) thought I'd missed it, but 1) fortunately I hadn't, and 2) I forgot I had my DVR set to automatically record any/all new "American Experience" episodes.

I saw this in a theater here in DC last year (on a documentary film-fest), and it's quite good! A few areas I felt got a little bit of a short shrift, and even at 2 hours, I think an extra 20 minutes would have been great (not enough 1960's and 70's coverage -- though what is covered from both those decades, is covered fairly equally).

Anyway, DON'T MISS IT. I can't remember what I said earlier (upthread), but I'm sure if I gave it a letter-grade, I think I either gave it a very solid B+ or maybe a hair closer to an A- (if I was giving letter grades). Thinking back (now) on when I saw it, I'm now thinking more "B+" -- but still, don't miss it.

Sadly, though, practically no new performance footage (of any sort), though there are some non-performance clips I'd never seen (which were welcome).

19. Tomorrow night! -- 2/25 -- with probable re-airings at all sorts of odd times, over the next week.

Don't miss out!

20. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Bump for tonight’s showing.

21. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Good doc featuring a number of people that actually knew and/or played with him. I'm glad they didn't interview Wynton Marsalis. :hide:

kevywevy and robertawillisjr like this.
  22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That's the SECOND time, this week, I've heard the saying:
    "God punishes you, by making all your dreams come true."

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  23. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I found it to be a bit disappointing.

The sax part from Flamenco Sketches playing over the end credits made me wonder if the filmmakers knew what they were doing! It sounds like a trivial gripe but to me it underscores that this film may have been in the wrong hands.

More archival footage and less "experts" BS-ing would have been nice.

Too bad In A Silent Way was overlooked.

Nascimento Brasil and Chris M like this.
  24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

should be the rule of thumb really

moople72 likes this.
  25. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I enjoyed watching it on PBS the other night, but my opinion tends to be similar to yours on this documentary. It definitely needed some better editing, for example, Miles' ex-wife Frances talks about how she didn't really know about Miles Davis when she met him, although she knew (or knew about) Johnny Mathis. Despite not saying ANYTHING else about Johnny Mathis, we are subjected to about a minute and a half of Mathis singing in the background. WTF?! A waste of film-time that could have been given to more Miles Davis music.

Also, it's not just In A Silent Way that got skipped over (an UNFORGIVABLE mistake, IMHO), the film skips over everything between Sketches Of Spain and Bitches Brew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.