Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. How many MIXES of the album exist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ale200, Jul 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ale200

Ale200 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi!
    I've searching about this album on the internet and I realized that it's been reissued maaaaany times with different mixes and I have some questions about this since I only know the 1997 Mark Wilder mix and master.
    1) Which mix does the HDtracks download use? Did Wilder crate a new one for this?
    2) Which mix does the MasterSound version use?
    3) Which mix does the MFSL SACD use?
    4) When the first CD releases came out int 80s, was a new mix created for those?
    5) Have the original 60s mono and stereo mixes released on CD? What was wrong with them to create others?
    6) How many mixes exist and which are them?
    7) Which is your favorite?
    8) Which mix is included on the Legacy Edition?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    tug_of_war likes this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I know the MasterSound is a remix.

3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

The main thing to keep in mind is that the original stereo and mono mixes have a pitch variation that was, er... **adjusted** (I'm a bit reluctant to say **corrected**, if you're talking about a mix that was in print for 40 years) as part of the subsequent remixes.

The old stereo mix was not considered to be of sufficiently high quality to use for modern releases, and they've never found a copy of the old mono mix (which was probably derived from the same work parts that were used for the stereo mix, rather than a dedicated mono recording), so the new mixes are used these days.

- Kevin

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

There is also the speed issue. For decades Side A was cut at the wrong speed. This was tape playback issue, so CDs has the same problem as vinyl.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

No, it's the original stereo mix speed corrected.

DTK, hutlock, frightwigwam and 7 others like this.
  6. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

1. Mono
    2. Original Stereo
    3. Original Stereo mix speed corrected
    4. Stereo Remix on the Sony SACD and MFSL SACD
    5. Another Stereo Remix on the HD Download
    6. Multichannel Mix

DTK, jdrueke, jsnruf and 8 others like this.
  7. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Is someone able to put a rough date on when the original stereo was speed corrected?

How much of a difference are we talking about?

The vinyl copy I bought when I was 18/19 is still the only copy I play (though I have fairly recent Japanese cd).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    tug_of_war likes this.
  8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

New mono mix on RSD vinyl and HD download, right?

Gabe Walters and rxcory like this.
  9. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

10. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Ehhh..,.how many mixes of the album do we need?

john lennonist and Ale200 like this.
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The last one (HDTracks...) is pretty definitive by my book as far as sound-quality goes.

kevin5brown, Vinyl Socks and Edmoney like this.
  12. Ale200

Ale200 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are at least three mixes done by Mark Wilder, I think. I wonder what's the difference between all of them?

kt66brooklyn, Beamish13 and 905 like this.
  13. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Stereo or mono?

As for me, I have the 1997 SBM CD (Mark Wilder mix), the 2010 LP (Kevin Gray cut), and the MoFi SACD. They all sound wonderful, but I play the MoFi most, the SBM least.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The 90's (either the 1997 remaster or the Mastersound another poster mentioned above, which I believe was a few years earlier).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    kt66brooklyn likes this.
  15. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

I love the MoFi SACD. It has all the errors stated above corrected and sounds amazing. Especially if you can play the SACD layer it's definitely worth the expense.

16. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

The Legacy Edition booklet says there were two machines taping the music at the same time.
    I assume one was for the mono mix and the other for the stereo mix...but who knows...

kt66brooklyn, AaronW and joshm2286 like this.
  17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Mono for me but I want to say both.
    I discovered the album with the 1997 CD, but in retrospect I think it is probably the less good-sounding of the "new" versions (still great).

Nycademon likes this.
  18. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Interesting. Makes sense. I pulled my vinyl last night and the first side run time is a good minute shy of the Japanese cd. I haven't checked to see what that has done to the pitch but it is going to be clearly audible with a 4% difference. Side two seems to be more or less the same.

19. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Correct!

Gabe Walters likes this.
  20. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I started with the 97 CD that was already speed corrected and can’t really listen to the original version as it sounds too fast.

I’d imagine it would initially be the other way around for some, but I would think everyone could agree the speed corrected version was pitch correct.

21. nodbor

nodbor Forum Resident

I just ordered the Mono LP that is coming out late December in Japan. Ordered at CD Japan.
    Only about 25 copies until they run out. About the same for the stereo version.

22. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Mark Wilder mixes/masters, 24/192 digital source for both.

nodbor, rxcory and Plan9 like this.
  23. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

The US reissues of this that came out first for RSD 2013 as numbered, then later as a non-numbered release, were the same Wilder remix and mastering as the new Japanese reissue. However, the 2013 US LPs were cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound and pressed at RTI really do sound good for digitally-sourced. Has anyone said who is cutting the laquers for the Japanese reissue?

24. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

according to the CD Japan entry: "Mastered by Mark Wilder using 192/24 master. Cutting in Japan. Pressed by Sony. Supervised by Masamichi Okazaki and Koki Hanawa."
    Okazaki is a critic, not an engineer. Hanawa has been credited with "Analog Production Supervision" on recent Japanese vinyl releases.
    unless there is a credit on the sleeve it's possible the cutting engineer will be unknown. the recent Sony pressed releases i have don't feature any matrix info beyond the catalogue number.

hi_watt and rxcory like this.
  25. nodbor

nodbor Forum Resident

Yes, I'm taking a chance on this release. I figured that because this is limited, I should get this release and I can always sell this one if I'm not happy with it. I know that I can still purchase the Mono that was released a few years back in the US without any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.