Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. BSC

BSC Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. BSC

BSC Forum Resident Thread Starter

It will be interesting to see what this is....as the actual description talks about vinyl......:)

3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

MFSL SACDs can usually be found for £16-18 on the Amazon UK Marketplace, so £40 for a 2 disc set is not a bargain.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I don't know where they got the release date of April 7th from. Music Direct still shows TBA.

5. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I love how they announce these things out of nowhere.

cds23 and MisterBritt like this.
  6. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Now that it's here, I'm wondering if I really need another copy after the 40th ann. box set. There's nothing wrong with that version.

joshm2286 likes this.
  7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I assume you are talking about Bitches Brew. Your key operative word is "NEED"... none of us need any of the music we buy, so I would say no you don't need it, BUT - you definitely WANT it!!!

joshm2286, AidanB, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  8. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

After listening to the MFSL "Milestones" SACD this morning I definitely NEED Mobile Fidelity to release the rest of the series!

joshm2286, AidanB, Hamhead and 4 others like this.
  9. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

You're not helping!

AidanB, bluejimbop and BrokenByAudio like this.
  10. KeithH

Hopefully the Bitches Brew SACD set is not too far behind.

joshm2286 likes this.
  11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

This always drives me nuts. I prefer vinyl Mofi releases. You never know if they will release the SACD or vinyl first.
    When they don't release the vinyl first, I get impatient when the good reviews start coming for the SACD. I end up buyng
    the digital version, which really isn't my preference. Then when the vinyl is released, I have to make a decision on wheter
    to buy the vinyl version too. Sometimes I think it's a marketing strategy on which version they release first.

12. KeithH

I have noticed this inconsistency. Although I don't pay much attention to MFSL vinyl, it seems that they have been releasing vinyl before SACD lately. They probably can get the LPs pressed in the U.S. faster than the SACDs in Austria. Delays with SACD releases is the norm.

Steel City likes this.
  13. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Awesome news on Bitches, this is next on my purchase list!

14. KeithH

That reads funny. :)

15. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Will Bitches Brew be the original mix or the Mark Wilder remix?

If it's the original mix I will certainly buy the SACD. As for the remix, I'm happy with the JSACD and don't see much room for improvement there.

joshm2286 likes this.
  16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

original

joshm2286, Scope J, PBo and 1 other person like this.
  17. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Thanks! This SACD is on my purchase list.

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It's a surprise.

joshm2286 and jfeldt like this.
  19. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Mine's on the way.

20. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I received the "My Funny Valentine" SACD today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see on the third and forth picture, this edition has a booklet, unlike some of the first MFSL Miles SACDs. The booklet states that the spoken introduction hasn't been included on this SACD. Also "The Theme" is faded out right after "All of You" - if I remember correctly, the full length version can be heard on the Legacy version, the Sony SACD, the 2006 DSD and the Complete Columbia Album Collection (which, IIRC, has the same mastering as the 2006 DSD / second japanese SACD), so this edition definitely uses another mix than all versions after the CBS, probably the original edited version from Teo Macero.

For some reason, this SACD does not include the "ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING" banner, but the "MOBILE FIDELITY SOUND LAB" signature usually found on the silver series from MFSL, which means the tape source and it's provenance are somewhat unclear. Maybe the original two track mix down tapes from the original edited mix got lost and therefore a safety copy was used instead, however the sound is very, very good. Instrument seperation is great, the musicians can be spotted immediately (Miles and George somewhat interchange positions from dead center to center-left), with Herbie on the far left and Tony on the far right, Ron Carter is in the center, I'd say about 6 feet behind Miles and George Coleman. I haven't done a comparison with my Complete Columbia Album Collection version yet, so I can't remember if they were mixed differently onto the soundstage. I remember however, that Miles had a slightly piercing tone on the latter, which seems to have been softened a bit by Rob LoVerde for this SACD, but the sound absolutely doesn't sound rolled-off or muffled, but detailed, coherent and dynamic. I cranked the volume and it still sounds relaxed, I'd say even better than on a normal playback level (but had to turn it down after a while so not to get in trouble with the neighbors). Ron Carter's bass is just 'there'. If you are worried about this SACD sounding inferior in comparison to the rest of the series, I for myself find this version to be just as good (excellent) sounding. Of course I am just speaking for myself.

joshm2286, rxcory, Clanceman and 13 others like this.
  21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I also got my copy today.... listen to the SACD later.

joshm2286 likes this.
  22. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Bitches Brew hasn't been released yet on SACD by Mobile Fidelity.

24. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

my bad. i meant the vinyl.