Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

That's fair. The HDTracks is indeed a fine choice, it used to be my digital/stereo go-to before I got the 35DP 62.

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The only version that has the midrange magic of the 35DP is the original 6-eye stereo LP. If a time machine could have existed someone needed to save the original 2-track mixdown tape from the 3-track.

PADYBU and rxcory like this.
  3. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Ah the 6-eye :love:

that, a 6-eye mono and the 35DP are all I'll ever need... ..but that won't stop me searching for more smh :rolleyes: on the search for an even earlier or cleaner 6-eye and a good reel to reel.

Speaking of 6-eyes, LondonJazzCollector has done such brilliant research on this album. The AG/AJ I use, according to him, appears to me a 20th cutting. However, he states "There is no matrix-based code reason to believe a pressing off a 1BJ stamper will sound any different or better than one off an 1A stamper. No lacquer is a second or third generation copy, or a copy of a copy, or of later manufacture. Each lacquer is merely one cutting from the first master tape mix, all manufactured at the same time. They are all potentially the “first”."
    Source: Columbia Matrix Codes – case study: “Kind of Blue”

[​IMG]

4. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

The HDTracks version was made from the 3 Track and the engineers were diligent in trying for the same mix and sound as the orignal releases. I think they even used the original equipment.

No doubt the 35DP would be interesting but since I enjoy the sound of the HDTracks version.....
    The MoFi SACD is popular here and I have it but I think the HDTracks version has less audio anomalies.

5. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Which probably explains why I’m always astounded by and keep raving about my ‘71 stereo repressing. It’s got later stampers like the “2BJ” you mentioned but still has knock-your-socks-off sound quality. Best $40 I ever spent!

6. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Man, we need to come up with a standardized nomenclature for this company, just took me 7 pages of forum search to finally find this thread as I did not know what to type: Mobile Fidelity, MoFi, MFSL etc. I tend to go with MoFi as it's fun to type and say and that seems to be what they are using (see back of disc case and other branding). But I digress.

I'm late to this one, just found it amid a bunch of other new and unopened/unplayed discs as I was rotating "stock" to unearth the Christmas/Holiday tunes. I'm sure plenty of you know what I'm talking about.

So the other day I pop in Porgy and my Esoteric K-03x, for the first time ever in thousands of discs, sez "Disc Error". Odd, checked the surface before playing and looked fine. Open and reload. Same dealio. I pull out several other "MoFi" disc, including some recent releases to be sure it's not a new "issue" in authoring or something. It reads Monk, Mingus, other Miles etc just fine. Put Porgy back in and "Disc Error". The Esoteric transport is reknown for being one of if not the best transports in the business and dCS used to use them before they decided not to sell to third-parties any longer. Never had a problem in 2+ years or use.

So, even though I ordered from AS I knew I was past the exchange point so I order up one from Amazon since I can have one in 2 days. New one arrives. Same thing. In between I've played dozens of RBCD/SACD's without a hitch.

Anyone else have an issue? Thoughts? Those with issues have you found a copy the works?

7. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Never had a problem with this or any of the others on my inexpensive Yamaha SACD player. I do have occasional non-recognition problems with hybrid SACDs on my computer's optical drive. It can be quite frustrating, but after doing the eject & reinsertion dance several time they always seem to eventually work.

But I only rip them on my computer once each, so the frustration is short-lived. If I had to go through that every time I wanted to hear one on my main system, it would be maddening.

8. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I had the same issue with my Esoteric X-05 not being able to read that Porgy And Bess MFSL SACD. The X-05 has no problems with any of my other hybrid SACD disks. Also, that same MFSL SACD plays fine in my Esoteric K-o1X player. So I don't know what to think. Luckily, I'm not a huge fan of that particular album.

9. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Yeah, never had an issue with anything before this, even with new discs that are terribly scratched like a few of the Winter & Winter discs that get damaged by that beautiful but hackneyed packaging. I hope this is not a trend with something glitchy in the production process.

Interesting, and odd since our "X" models are likely closer in production date and build. I wonder if it's some fluke in the authoring process? Since both copies do this and others have experienced it I'm going to let MoFi know so they can (hopefully) run it down. Even more odd since Esoteric actually has a label that produces SACD's.

Elusive Disc says they have had a few others experiencing this issue as well.

10. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Given the testimony, I would have to guess it’s the disc - the way it was authored or some such thing. Some data could be confusing the reader or the physical properties of the disc are not allowing the SACD info to transfer smoothly. Can you force it to read the CD layer?

11. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Which versions of Miles SACD are considered to sound the best and does anyone which source they use on them?
    I am particularly thinking about Kind Of blue and Silent way SACD releases. Thanks for any info

12. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I think that if you would search this thread on those titles you get a lot of info. :targettiphat:

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

There are different masterings for Kind Of Blue, you have to pick your favorite and decide.

hyntsonsvmse likes this.
  14. originalsnuffy

There are two ways to look at this. Absolute best based on your key criteria; or good enough and still in print. For the latter, its is easy. MoFi for SACD; HDTracks for digital download for Kind of Blue. Have fun going down the rabbit hole of tracking down the out of print versions if you want to go the first route. It is a pretty deep hole.

hyntsonsvmse and SOONERFAN like this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

MFSL SACD for both.

16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I agree. MoFi. My vote is a blanket MoFi for all the Miles. But I don't have any of the Japanese SACDs or whatever else some folks are comparing. My only comparison are the US digital releases over the years. For example, the late-90's Columbia expanded/remasters. If Miles was using his harmon mute on those remasters, I almost couldn't listen to them. Just too harsh. For KOB, Sketches and a few others, I have several options to compare (Legacy sets, box sets) -- but I still like the MoFis best. The HDtracks Kind Of Blue is awesome, but I think the MoFi is better.

17. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

+1

Pants Party and George P like this.
  18. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I don't like the MOFI Kind Of Blue because MOFI modified the album cover removing the classic Columbia logo. Just ruins it for me and it looks really odd with all that blank space. I am sticking with the original Columbia SACD.

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Their current covers are a huge step over the crappy design they used for decades on "Ultradisc" releases, but it's still irritating how they will squish, squeeze or crop the original cover design to fit a sleeve that's not quite the proportional dimensions of an LP sleeve.

20. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

its the content that matters not the covers.

martinb4 and hutlock like this.
  21. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I personally prefer the Sony SACD for Kind of Blue and the 32DP Jpn. CD for In a Silent Way but the MFSL SACD is good as well for In a Silent Way.

22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Covers are part of the content. Especially true for Bitches Brew, Layla, etc.

23. originalsnuffy

Hey, Kind of Blue fans....just wondering if you have critically listened to the first 30 second of the MFSL version on SACD vs HDTracks. Seems to me that a bunch of background noises are missing on HDTracks which I appreciate. My guess is that the noises were not in the original tapes (pre-mixing) and were introduced in the original mixing process. The version on HDTracks went back to the original tapes. I think MFSL used the same sources as the Sony SACD releases which also have those noises. I do have the first Sony release on SACD and it does have those noises. Any other thoughts on this?

If covers matter how do you pick a copy of Blind Faith or Electric Ladyland? Which covers do you want....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  24. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Then it comes down to taste.

I'm not a Blind Faith fan and have no use for that album - the Clapton anthologies typically scoop up the two keepers. For Electric Ladyland, I actually prefer the U.S. Reprise cover - they had a better art department than Track:

[​IMG]

frightwigwam likes this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I prefer the single layer USA Sony SACD for KoB as well along with 35DP. SH said the Sony SACD is the best sounding KoB.

What I posted in another thread:

Kind of Blue- greatly prefer the older US Sony SACD. The MFSL SACD is far too bass heavy and on top of that sounds like the music had the life sucked out of it with a giant straw. No other version other than their double 45 rpm vinyl (also mediocre) sounds like this. I go between the US Sony SACD and the 35DP depending on mood.

Edit: I believe the 35DP is digitally identical to one of the very early US CDs, someone else will have to post the details on which one it is.