Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

hvbias; have you heard the HDTracks version?

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

A while ago on an inferior DAC and I have speakers with much better midrange performance now, what I thought of it wouldn't be accurate. The USA Sony SACD is what I picture the master 3-track sounds like, it has that certain "window"/transparency type sound with how little EQ there is. The 35DP like the 6-eye vinyl with its midrange presence. If I hear the HDTracks stereo I'll let you know. The mastering on their mono reissue is good.

rxcory likes this.
  3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Ha! Never noticed that! Doesn't bother me a bit, but I hear ya. If the best sounding version of something like Sinatra's In The Wee Small Hours was some mid-70s Dutch reissue with a dreadfully wrong cover -- I wouldn't want it either.

Personally, in this instance, I don't think I would let the missing logo bother me at all. The cover is still the same... not like these...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rxcory likes this.
  4. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I do have the single layer Sony from 2001 which is what I think you are referring to. Every so often I play it in 3 track mode but usually just in stereo. I also have the MFSL SACD and the HDTracks. My personal favorite remains the HDTracks version; but the other two are fine. The 2001 version that you refer to has a certain understated quality to it that has strong merits. Every so often HDTracks puts their version of KOB on sale; I highly recommend it. Most Head Fi types like the MoFi but I would rather hear the HDTracks version or come to think of it the 2001 version. I also have the mono version from Pono (same team and sources that did the HDTracks stereo version). Personally I prefer the stereo version but I know the Mono version has a strong following.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

New to this thread but will go through it as times goes on. I have a few Miles MFSL SACD/hybrids and some of the MFSL vinyl versions well. Apart from going through Discogs is there a list of Miles MFSL SACDS and is the series continuing?
    Question two is about the Japanese jewel case SACD/hybrid cds and I have a few of them. I could not find a thread on those but the ones I have including Kind of Blue and On The Corner sound fine to me. Is there a thread or again a list of titles in that series?
    This is the On The Corner.
    Miles Davis - On The Corner

Credits include
    I assume this is the same mastering as the Sony Columbia albums box (the one where the glue went wrong until they re did it!)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  6. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Davis, Miles - Bitches Brew MFSL Hybrid SACD*
    Davis, Miles - E.S.P. MFSL Hybrid SACD*
    Davis, Miles - Filles De Kilimanajro MFSL Hybrid SACD
    Davis, Miles - "Four & More" MFSL Hybrid SACD*
    Davis, Miles - In A Silent Way MFSL Hybrid SACD*
    Davis, Miles - Kind Of Blue MFSL Hybrid SACD*
    Davis, Miles - Miles In The Sky MFSL Hybrid SACD*
    Davis, Miles - Miles Smiles MFSL Hybrid SACD
    Davis, Miles - Milestones MFSL Hybrid SACD*
    Davis, Miles - My Funny Valentine MFSL Hybrid SACD
    Davis, Miles - Nefertiti MFSL Hybrid SACD
    Davis, Miles - On The Corner MFSL Hybrid SACD*
    Davis, Miles - Porgy & Bess MFSL Hybrid SACD*
    Davis, Miles - 'Round About Midnight MFSL Hybrid SACD
    Davis, Miles - Sketches Of Spain MFSL Hybrid SACD*
    Davis, Miles - Sorcerer MFSL Hybrid SACD
    Davis, Miles - A Tribute To Jack Johnson MFSL Hybrid SACD*

* means still in stock at either MoFi or Amazon

joshm2286, Crispy Rob, jfeldt and 2 others like this.
  7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

That is very helpful, thanks.
    One other question I have is that the Sony Columbia albums box uses the original mix of Bitches Brew but the Japanese SACD/Hybrid as below is the remix. I kind of wondered why?

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I have a question about the "Porgy And Bess" MFSL. I understand it is based on the Mark Wilder remix. But what kind of final mix did he create? Was it an analog, or was it digital? I'm wondering if the final mix he created (that MFSL used) was limited in resolution thus making the DSD portion of the MFSL SACD an "upconvert"?

Ryan Lux likes this.
  9. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I don't know for certain, but it seems likely the remix was analog, since his remix for Kind of Blue was analog (Mo-Fi's "Kind Of Blue": Kind of Blah? (Updated 10/28/15) ).

10. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

ciderglider likes this.
  11. MicJames

MicJames Forum Resident

I wonder if the same mix from the analogue was used for the Japanese SME SACD from 1999?

Has anyone had an opportunity to hear both and would care to share their thoughts?

12. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

another difference that gets overlooked is that there is a part of his shirt, beside his collar, that is removed. It's on all the early editions and for some odd reason it was removed in some reissues

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Good find, thanks!

Relevant text from the above:

Mobile Fidelity's SACD release of Porgy and Bess was sourced from an analogue tape created by Mark Wilder, who remixed the three-track session tapes to a new stereo master (this was confirmed by Mobile Fidelity engineer Rob LoVerde in response to my query). The SACD sounds very similar to the 2-eye stereo Columbia LP, due to Wilder's remixing skills and to the superb transfer of Wilder's master tape by MoFi senior engineer Shawn R. Britton.

14. MicJames

MicJames Forum Resident

To clarify (since there are a few titles recently discussed) it is the two Porgy & Bess SACDs I am asking about above—the MFSL and the 1999 SME release from Japan.

15. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I own both "Porgy and Bess" discs, but I don't have both discs at my current location - only the 1999 Sony SRGS-4518 issue. The only written information is that it's remastered by Mark Wilder in NYC. I won't be able to make a comparison for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure there's any info on the packaging of the Sony disc that would specify.
    This site has pictures of the OBI, though not the credits on the insert:
    Porgy And Bess (SACD)

MicJames likes this.
  16. MicJames

MicJames Forum Resident

Thanks. I look forward to reading your thoughts when you get around to a comparison.

RnRmf likes this.
  17. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Any chance we're getting more of these? Live-Evil? I assume Get Up With It and Agharta, which max out the vinyl sides, are out of the question?

MikeJedi and George P like this.
  18. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Hopefully MoFi has some more miles titles up their sleeve!!

19. George P

George P Notable Member

And hopefully those sleeves are loose fitting.

MikeJedi likes this.
  20. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

You know, since we got a Columbia-era Thelonious Monk title last year, I'll also observe that I'd be happy to see a few more of those. In addition to Live-Evil, of course, and whatever else they can get us by Miles Davis!

rxcory, MikeJedi and George P like this.
  21. River Flow

River Flow Forum Resident

I tried to do a search on this but couldn't find an answer, also posted this question on a different thread... I'll try here...

Recently I began listening to Bitches Brew and finally really getting into it. I was listening to the 1999 Sony release (the remix). I had bought The Perfect Miles Davis Collection years ago for less than $40, and after reviewing some threads on this website, I realized it actually had the original mix. And, according to what I've read (but can't confirm), it's the same disc as on the Complete Columbia Albums Collection. I haven't listened to the original CD release of this album, but the Perfect Collection disc sounds great and doesn't sound particularly muddy in my opinion.

So my question is for those who have A/B'd the Perfect Collection disc (or even the Complete Columbia Albums Collection disc, which is supposedly the same) with the MFSL redbook layer -> is there a substantial upgrade on the MFSL? And if so, how exactly does it sound different or perhaps better? I can't say I'm unhappy with the Perfect Collection disc, but I wanted to grab the MFSL before it goes out of print in case it's a big upgrade. Also, are there in fact any digital/other flaws in the MFSL release that aren't present on the Perfect Collection disc?

22. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I'd been listening to the original Teo Macero mix on The Complete Columbia Album Collection for years before I bought the MFSL and even on my old machine (Marantz CD6003) I perceived the redbook layer as a substantial upgrade. Since switching to an Arcam CDS50 recently I have listened to Bitches Brew (SACD layer) only once. I don't think you'd regret getting the MFSL for the sonics, redbook or SACD, and it is a beautifully produced paper sleeve in itself. And it should be easy to offload as well once OOP.

I can't go into specifics on memory, however.

River Flow likes this.
  23. River Flow

River Flow Forum Resident

Thank you, I appreciate that comparison.

Yes, I do like the MFSL sleeves, as well as the Bitches Brew cover art.

24. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Live-Evil, Get Up With It and Agharta would certainly be most welcome, along with Dark Magus and Pangaea. Fingers crossed. I'm sure we'll get at least one of these monsters!

I can't imagine MoFi would pass up on Miles Ahead and Quiet Nights. If they're still doing Miles on MoFi, I assume we'd get these. I also think the live albums (In Europe and In Berlin) are fair game. But who knows. They seem to be sticking with Miles (which is the right thing to do), so I'm optimistic!

Personally, I would love Birth Of The Cool myself. The new complete CD shows how lovely this stuff can sound. It's a steak and potatoes, personal favorite.

Lastly -- as much as the Prestige horse has been pulverized to death -- you can never rule out the Steamin', Smokin', Walkin', Tokin', etc albums. They're just such good records and they'll never stop selling those!

jfeldt likes this.
  25. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I got ahold of my Sony disc and will compare both versions this week.

MicJames likes this.