Miles Davis SACDs OOP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

Checking the Tower Records website, I was surprised to see some of the recently released Miles Davis SACDs -- DARK MAGUS, BLACK BEAUTY, LIVE EVIL, and BIG FUN -- listed as out-of-print.

Does anyone know why these are out-of-print so quickly? Is Sony deleting these in favor of multi-channel mixes, or they just -- gulp? -- out of the catalog, before I even get an SACD player?

2. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

There are a lot of other SACDs already out-of-print, Ron. I wonder if it's one of those licensing things?

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They shouldn't be out of print, but I wouldn't put it past Sony to dissolve manufacturing those titles.

All show up on Circuit City from what I've seen, in stock.

4. jdw

jdw Senior Member

I don't think these titles were the best choice to lead with for introducing Miles Davis on SACD in North America. These are all extremely demanding electric albums with a lot of varied quality in the recording and production.

I'm sure most audiophiles (and the majority of Davis fans) would have been more interested in the albums by Davis' "acoustic" bands from earlier years. Good choices would have been "Someday My Prince Will Come" (1961), "Seven Steps To Heaven" (1963) or anything by the classic '60s quintet (Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams).

Plus, all the titles mentioned - DARK MAGUS, BLACK BEAUTY, LIVE EVIL, and BIG FUN - are two disc SACD sets, when I'm pretty sure each could have fit onto a single SACD.

But thanks for the heads-up - I might finally pick up a couple of these before I'm stuck with ordering from Japan or trolling e-bay...

John
    Vancouver, BC

PS: Sony has announced a release a 6 CD set of the 1970 Cellar Door live recordings that were excerpted on "Live Evil". I'm not sure if there will be any duplication, but the "Live Evil" recordings were heavily edited anyway... The 6 CD set has been delayed for a couple years, mostly because I think they have other Miles box sets they want to release first.

5. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

I wouldn't take that too seriously.

TowerRecords.Com shows many SACDs as "Limited Quantities/Out of Print" that are readily available in their stores and on other web sites that carry SACDs !

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Brian,

Good point. Hopefully they are still in print.

jdw said:

Agreed. The thing is that many more Miles Davis SACDs have been released in Japan. Hopefully more titles will be coming to the US. The classics you mentioned would be welcome additions. Also, Sony is supposed to be releasing Bitches Brew in the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.