Miles Davis Sketches of Spain- mono or stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chacha, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Curious as to preferences for the mono or stereo mix of this album?
    Thanks.

2. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Only heard the stereo. Appreciate that this is a bit of a useless comment really!!

chacha likes this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

And I heard only the mono mix so far. lol

chacha likes this.
  4. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

The only Miles in mono I have heard is from the Mono albums box set. Of those 9 Cd's I prefer the small group albums in stereo. However, the Gil Evans albums: Miles Ahead, Porgy & Bess, and Sketches of Spain are much better in mono.

andrewskyDE and chacha like this.
  5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Mono all the way! Stereo sounds good but the mono sounds like sweet crème to the ears.

Mirror Image, chacha and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Do you have a six eye mono? I know there's apparently a newer mono reissue out there.

7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Yes it is

chacha likes this.
  8. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Mono.

chacha likes this.
  9. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I have a six-eye mono and a two-eye stereo. I go back and forth about which I like more. They both sound great and also sound very different.

10. WayneC

WayneC Hopelessly addicted to vinyl

I've never got around to getting this LP but love that period Miles. I'd probably prefer the stereo.
    I must look up which version to get.
    I expect this forum will come up with "original is best". I usually simply work on whichever issue has the smallest deadwax will be the best recorded...

11. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I have both and prefer the mono

12. WayneC

WayneC Hopelessly addicted to vinyl

Thanks. I'll start looking...

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I have a slight preference for the stereo, but you can probably chalk that up to it being the version up with which I grew.

bloodlemons likes this.
  14. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

My favorite way to listen to this album is stereo with the center image reduced, either via software or hardware. You hear all sorts of interesting details, and Miles's trumpet is better balanced with the orchestra.

Fender Relic likes this.
  15. Curious about this, too. Is there a preferred CD version for mono?

16. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

17. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

This morning I compared a mono Barnes & Noble Exclusive yellow/red splatter reissue and a 70's Columbia stereo. This afternoon I also played a stereo Music On Vinyl yellow vinyl copy of which I'm not sure of source. To me the mono sounds like a giant stick of butter coming right down the middle of the road on the back of a flat bed truck. I mean that in a good way :laugh:. The stereo is more like melted butter that you're going to spread around and maybe baste your Turkey with next month. I noticed the concert harp and tambourine are much more present in stereo. On the mono you can hear the harp but it's like a little kid with their fingers just over a fence and pulling themselves up to eye level to peek over. In stereo it's like a kid standing on top of the fence waiting to jump over to the other side. The harp comes across beautifully in stereo. The bass violin is stronger, more present on the mono. I like both but that harp in stereo has won me over. Orchestra too has a better spread in stereo. I feel kind of the same way about Kind Of Blue...love the mono but the stereo sounds more wide screen.

Old Rusty likes this.
  18. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

A record that mono & stereo serve quite well, the differences are immediate & very enjoyable

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I had an old mono promo copy that was in excellent condition and the Classic Records reissue which is stereo. I liked both and they both were played but I'm going to choose the stereo album as my favorite, might be the Bernie Grundman mastering on the Classic Records reissue that tilts me towards the stereo.

Fender Relic likes this.
  20. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

I'm confused. I can't seem to find a vinyl mono of this album. Was it originally released on mono? Or is there only a mono mix as part of the mono CD box?

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Stereo. Sound spacious in a way that totally fits the performace and arrangements.

Fender Relic likes this.
  22. HuntingBare

Oops sorry wrong thread. I was referring to In A Silent Way. Apologies.

23. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

It was originally released in both mono and stereo versions. Besides the mono CD box set, there was a recent mono LP reissue:

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain

24. HuntingBare

Thanks. Yes, I made a mistake, it was In A Silent Way I couldn't find in mono. Ah well, thanks to this tread I have just bougt a mono LP of Sketches.

wellers73 likes this.
  25. Stereo, the separation of the instruments in the stereo field suits my taste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.