Miles Davis - The Definitive Bootleg Series Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Unless I misunderstand your post, according to Pete Losin on his Miles Ahead website (and, in part, my own bootleg experience), that is not entirely true. Below is the Japan tour itinerary. Recorded material exists for January 22, 23, 30, February 1 (official release), 7 and 8.

From Losin's site:

After warming up the Septet on the west coast, Davis embarked on a three-week Japanese tour. The itinerary was as follows:

January 22 (Wed): Tokyo Koseinenkinkaikan Hall (7:00 pm)
    January 23 (Thu): Tokyo Koseinenkinkaikan Hall (7:00 pm)
    January 24 (Fri): Nagoya Shiminkaikan (Nagoya civic auditorium) (6:30 pm)
    January 25 (sat): Kyoto Kaikan Hall (No. 1) (6:30 pm)
    January 27 (Mon): Sapporo Koseinenkinkaikan Hall (6:30 pm)
    January 30 (Thu): Kokura Shiminkaikan (City Hall) (6:30 pm)
    February 1 (Sat): Osaka Festival Hall (two concerts, 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm)
    February 2 (Sun): Osaka Festival Hall (2:00 pm)
    February 3 (Mon): Shizuoka City Sunpukaikan (6:30 pm)
    February 4 (Tue): Miyagi Kenminkaikan (6:30 pm)
    February 7 (Fri): Tokyo Koseinenkinkaikan Hall
    February 8 (Sat): Tokyo Koseinenkinkaikan Hall (two concerts, 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm)

Miles Davis sessions: 1945-1991

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    jfeldt, martinb4, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes several concerts were recorded, but aside from the January 22 radio broadcast they are all audience recordings in terrible quality. Teo Macero/CBS only recorded the Agharta/Pangaea concerts.

eeglug and frightwigwam like this.
  3. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I’d be happy if the next 5 sets were 1973 Japan/Europe, 1964 Japan/Europe, 1971 Europe, 1969 Vienna-London-Rotterdam, and 1960 Germany-Zurich-Netherlands. Or, Fall 1960 and some ‘50s broadcasts with Trane or Sonny Rollins? Bring ‘em on. But I can’t get enough of 1970, either.

jay.dee, DTK and Yesternow like this.
  4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I think this has been mentioned somewhere on the forum before, but it would also be cool if they put together a “Tokyo Box” covering some, if not all, of Miles’ broadcasts from Tokyo.

Mook likes this.
  5. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Fair enough. But contrary to other opinions here, I think it would make a lot of sense to issue the full existing Japan 75 tapes unedited. They did that with the Fillmore East 1970 tapes. The original albums (Miles at Fillmore, Agartha, Pangaea) are still there for anyone to hear.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The Februari 1, 1975 concerts have both been released in complete form, in the Sony Mastersound issues of Agharta and Pangaea. So there's nothing more to release.

frightwigwam and penguinzzz like this.
  7. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

In some ways I think the best we could hope for from the Cosey era would be a set of the band's stage recordings, if Liebman and the Cosey estate could provide the original cassettes to be transferred and worked on. Bootleg quality still but way better than the audience tapes, and there may well be some - maybe lots - of as yet unheard shows.

That said I have zero expectation of it happening.

frightwigwam likes this.
  8. Lonson

I personally think there is plenty there in quality that could be released.

9. penguinzzz

Do you really think they'll release poor audience tapes from '75 instead of radio broadcasts from numerous other years? Or are you referring to something else?

DTK likes this.
  10. Lonson

Yes, I'm suggesting that one or more of these audience tapes may be of suitable quality to release--some of us are interested in listening to audience tapes and I've heard one of these that is far from terrible. which in addition to the shows of better quality may be enough for a release. And there may be soundboards that have not circulated.

11. penguinzzz

I'm not suggesting the audience tapes are terrible or uninteresting, just not good enough to be likely candidates for official release. Likewise the soundboard from the 8th which is completely unbalanced.

Of course I'd love it if some other sources from this era miraculously surfaced but again, I'm not hopeful. As I said upthread, the best hope may well be the band's own stage recordings.

DTK likes this.
  12. Lonson

They released some awful sounding stuff on a previous release. I'm just trying to remain open and hopeful, and also to not pretend that I know what they have and can do better than they may have and be able to do. I honestly think with all the interest in this material (and the mediocre cd mastering they have offered of Agharta and Pangea as US releases) we'll see a released set of Japan '75 eventually.

13. penguinzzz

If by 'awful sounding' you're referring to the New York 75 track on the Newport release, it's still way better than any of the Japan audience tapes.

Anyway, I'm not trying to 'pretend I know' anything, any more than I'm trying to get into a pointless argument. I'm all for being hopeful, but we do have to judge things based on the evidence we have. What I do hope is that there's another announcement soon and we'll have something definite to discuss.

frightwigwam and DTK like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The "awful sounding stuff" I remember is the April 1970 bonus cuts on the Fillmore box, which sounds to me like they got it from some mp3 blog.

Max2max, penguinzzz and Lonson like this.
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

IIRC, I have a Feb. 7&8, 1975 soundboard recording that fares pretty well.

Lonson likes this.
  16. Lonson

No I was referring to the Fillmore West material in another release. I wasn't accusing YOU of "pretending to know" anything but in general not wanting to assume that even Losin knows fully what Sony may have available. I don't want to engage in pointless saruguments either. I just remain expectant of a Japan '75 release, though not the "next" one.

17. ATR

ATR Senior Member

What’s clear is that everyone likes that period and wants to hear more of it. I have a couple of unauthorized releases that sound OK, and there are plenty more on the Plosin website. I’m sure that if Sony could get possession of the original sources there would be plenty of music for a box. It would be nice to have that music collected and curated. The most recent Hi Hat release of the Japan tour with Sonny Fortune, the Olympia show in Paris, and that concert in Belgrade on Another Bitches Brew are all worth hearing.

frightwigwam likes this.
  18. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Is there anything in existence from 1968? Seems a very underrepresented year in Miles terms. Did he just not perform very much that year?

Mook likes this.
  19. Lonson

Good observation. This seems to have been predominantly a studio year.

20. penguinzzz

Ah yes, I forgot about that - a strange inclusion on all fronts really.
    There's an unbalanced soundboard from the first show on the 8th, Lucas is inaudible. I've never heard of another SB from the Japan shows. You may be thinking of the Zipperdeke release which listed those dates but actually was mostly stuff from Dark Magus.

DTK likes this.
  21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

This thread asked the same question, but recordings seem to be non-existent.

Miles Davis - Live dates in 1968

22. Yeah, it's a shame there isn't more (any really) of Miles live in '68. Practically every year (at least during his run for Columbia) is pretty well documented, save for '68.

Of course, the holy grail from that year would be the one concert with Gil Evans in '68 -- which I'm not recalling the details of (some of which aren't especially definitive, other than it appeared to have happened, at UCLA, iirc).

Mook and citizensmurf like this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I bet they did. Awful idea.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It would be great if it transpires that Sony recorded more beyond what's officially released, but there's never been the slightest indication or rumor that they did.
    So that leaves us with the Jan 22 radio broadcast.

I have copies of all circulating recordings of the Japanese tour, and the audio quality is far worse then anything else so far released in the Bootleg Series. Both Mtume from July 1, 1975 and those mp3-sounding tracks on the Fillmore box are much superior in quality.

Not trying to be negative but just saying that unless Sony have stuff we don't know about a Japan '75 box is very unlikely in the scheme of things.

frightwigwam and penguinzzz like this.
  25. Lonson

Hmmmm. . . these audience boots may be out there in varying quality, just saying as I have some '75 Japan that sounds better than that Fillmore West stuff that they put out. I maintain that just because there hasn't been "the slightest rumor" doesn't mean that there's no hope of better material in Sony's hands, this has happened before with record companies.

Anyway, I remain hopeful, and I'd rather remain hopeful than not.