Mingus Ah Um - Best Affordable Vinyl Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mfunk9786, Jan 21, 2022.

1. mfunk9786

mfunk9786 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Been loving the two Acoustic Sounds series Mingus titles from late 2021 and wondering if I should pick up Ah Um now (itching to hear more of his work, particularly this album) or wait and see if Ah Um is coming to the same series. My guess is that the rights are with MoFi and that won't happen, but just thought I'd check in with the experts on which pressing is at the right intersection of price (I.e. not the OOP MoFi or Classic) and quality (realize there's likely nothing out there as nice as the new QRP titles).

Thanks!

2. violarules

violarules Senior Member

You can pretty much assume that, if there were a standard Sony vinyl release available today, it would be digitally sourced. And you can forget about the "grey" market releases on Amazon. It's not what you asked for and not vinyl, but I would probably just go with the Mofi Hybrid SACD. It's only $30 and in stock at Acoustic Sounds.

DrJ, kt66brooklyn and mfunk9786 like this.
  3. mfunk9786

mfunk9786 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you! Don't have a way to play SACD at this juncture and not looking to prioritize that, but it's a sobering reminder of there not really being a good alternative in print. Might have to just save up or really keep my eyes peeled for the MoFi.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  4. violarules

violarules Senior Member

It's a hybrid SACD, so it will play in a normal CD player, too.

Also, as far as vinyl goes, I can't imagine even a vintage "catalog" pressing from the 70's or 80's would be any better than the SACD. I'm not sure how the regular Sony CD is regarded.

5. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

6. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Yep - if you cannot get an original single LP pressing - that's the one to gett, at least over here (Europe). I've just given away one (of these 2-fers9 away as an
    X-mas present

kt66brooklyn, McLover and CBackley like this.
  7. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

The Music on vinyl its pretty good and I believe its AAA. Ah Um is a Columbia release, so I dont see it coming in the Acoustic sounds/Verve series

McLover likes this.
  8. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Was there confirmation somewhere that the MOV repress is AAA? If not, I’d suspect it’s from hi res files like most of their LPs. I’ve got no issue with MOV, and the LPs of theirs I have sound good, so if you’re okay with a digital step, that’s a fine way to go.

But, yeah, it’s probably more likely that Pure Pleasure would reissue it since they also put out Mingus Dynasty, his other Columbia Record from that era. Or, maybe MoFi has the rights for yet another release of it…

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The De Agostini magazine version is good and dirt cheap, even with shipping to the States it's likely the cheapest legit version you'll find, around £10 new/sealed, though it is sourced from digital.

10. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

This one is great, as I missed the MFSL.

12. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Seconded - I have this pressing and it sounds superb to me, although I'm no expert on this album.

Albiegator and correctodad like this.
  13. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I have the ORG45. But personally I don’t think you’re missing much there; it’s very bright and uses the original mixes.

in the late 90s they remixed this album from the multitracks. And didn’t cut up the sessions like the original. So Goodbye Pork Pie Hat and others are significantly longer.

There was a SACD of it too. That’s the one to get.
    I don’t think they ever cut that remix to vinyl. You can tell by the track listing.

even the CD of this remix is significantly clearer than any vinyl pressing of the original mix.

14. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

The 70s red/orange US Columbia is probably your best bet for affordable AAA. Unfortunately, there isn't any version of this in print AAA. That's the pressing I have. Uses an identical jacket to the original pressing and I think mine even uses early stampers.

McLover, rcsrich and kt66brooklyn like this.
  15. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

kt66brooklyn and mishima's dog like this.
  17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Has anyone compared the sound quality of that two-fer release against the RSD Mingus Ah Um Redux?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  18. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

I don't know if it's AAA since the hype stickers are a bit equivocal, but this is a quality recording at an affordable price.

• Barcode (Text): 0 886976 648718
    • Barcode (Scanned): 886976648718
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side A): 84772 1A MOVLP 065
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side B): 84772 1B MOVLP 065

Hype sticker reads: Mixed from the original three-track tapes on an original Presto tube tape recorder. So who knows.

Edit: 2010 MOV pressing.

19. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Not myself - have enough pressings of this title I think (2 US pressings, the 2-fer and the 2010 or 2011 MOV re-issue) ...

20. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

which is better: the 70s columbia 2-fer or the MOV?

CBackley likes this.
  21. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

I think I prefer the two-fer, but I normally prefer issues released before the digital age anyway ...
    The MOV is probably digitally sourced, but is a good alternative I guess.

Hulloder and kt66brooklyn like this.
  22. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

I have a minty Canadian 2 Eye that's mono and sounds fantastic! Cost me £10 recently. Original sleeve design/layout too.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  23. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

The two-fer has a badass cover and is definitely the cooler record, but it might be tough to track down a really clean copy. I grabbed the MOV on amazon. Not sure this album will get an audiophile treatment anytime soon.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    kt66brooklyn likes this.
  24. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Well the first MOV from amazon was so laughably warped that I set up a return within five minutes of opening it. Second copy has a very minor warp on side 1, but overall it sounds great. I think it's a keeper. This is the first time I've listened to this album all the way thru. How did I miss this one?? I've gone from zero to four Mingus records in the last two weeks. I think I'm set!

CBackley likes this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Only four? Keep going.

Coltrane811 likes this.