Mingus Dynasty on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by funknik, Jan 3, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funknik

funknik He who feels it. Thread Starter

Is there a consensus as to whether the ORG or Pure Pleasure (with unedited performances) LP is the better version? It seems they are both cut from analog? I would like to get a copy of this album, but I have held off trying to pick the best one. Thanks in advance.

2. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

Pure Pleasure has the same edited performances as org + Strollin'. Wrong text on the cover. I like my NL original better than PP. I only listened to needledrop of ORG, it's nice.
    My goto for stereo is 50th anniversary 2CD remix. I have UK mono LP of Ah Um, which is thunderous and not as bright as stereo. Almost every stereo Columbia original mix from late 50s-early 60s is harsh sounding to me.

funknik likes this.
  3. funknik

thanks for the heads up!

So this Discogs entry is incorrect? Where did the idea come from that these performances are unedited?

Charles Mingus And His Jazz Groups* - Mingus Dynasty

4. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

5. funknik

I ended up scoring a copy of the ORG pressing and it is excellent. I’m very pleased.

6. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I do not have this release but I highly doubt that this statement is correct. Pure Pleasure uses the the fact that these are the unedited versions in the marketing of the release. Pure Pleaseure is not the kind of company that would lie about such a thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.