Mini DSP product, anybody have experience?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinny123, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ive been thinking about buying one. Can I come out of a DAC digitally into a Mini DSP? What kind of computer capabilities do I need? Can you set it up w an iPad? Anything you could tell me would be helpful. Thanks very much.

2. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

There are a range of MiniDSPs, some with DACs.

DACs convert digital to analogue. The MiniDSP does its main work in digital. If you feed an analogue signal into a MiniDSP it will convert it to digital (using an Analogue to Digital convertor [ADC]), do its work, then, if it has a DAC, convert back to analogue.

The best plan for a digital source, from a PC or CD player say, is to feed it to a digital 'in' MiniDSP, then either use the inbuilt DAC, or a separate DAC to convert to analogue and on to your amp. For an analogue source like a turntable, you could use a MiniDSP with an ADC and DAC. Having a separate DAC gives you greater flexibility in choice and quality but means more boxes, cables etc..

Using your Jolida preamp, I guess the most practical solution is to get a MiniDSP with an ADC and DAC, feed it from the preamp, then out to your active speakers, and just accept that when playing CDs you will be doing two digital/analogue conversions. In principle that's not good but in practice if done well that should sound OK. In any case the benefits of well done DSP should override any possible negatives.

I've never used a MiniDSP but like the idea, especially the ones with Dirac.

You should have a good read of their pages before committing to buy one, starting here:

miniDSP Concept

As for PC use, I use a similar software on a very moderate laptop without problems. There is a community forum that can answer specific questions.

Vinny123 likes this.
  3. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

I used the DDRC-24 (It is a DIRAC enabled 2x4HD unit). They're good value. In short, it is a DAC unit with varying DSP capabilities and connectivity, depending on the model. So yes, in theory you can connect a DAC into the Mini-DSP, but obviously its signal will undergo further digital processing by the Mini-dsp unit.

I think the DDRC-24 is good value. It has standard DSP processing (crossover, parametric EQ etc) and DIRAC, not to mention both analog and digital inputs. If you're looking to spend less money, go with the 2x4 HD. It has standard DSP and digital and analog inputs. You can upgrade via software update to DIRAC at a later date should you wish.

The forum over on their site is quite helpful, as are their staff, which reply within a day or so and endeavour to help.

If you like to tinker, they're worth a look.

Note: you may need a measurement mic, depending on your intentions.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Vinny123 likes this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

what do you want to use it for?

Vinny123 likes this.
  5. Vinny123

Room correction. Isn’t that it’s primary function?

6. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

MiniDSP seems to be a very good attempt to make DSP room correction as easy as possible. It's a complicated subject which is why it's tempting to avoid it but it will pay dividends.

There are other solutions, including software ones. This thread offers some more info:

Does anyone use any kind of Graphic Equaliser or Room correction Equipment ?

Room correction can be done in a number of ways. Generally the process is:

1. Positioning of speakers and chair.
    2. Room treatment - bass traps etc..
    3. Careful EQ/DSP.

Of course some people cannot do 1 or 2 for various reasons and that is where DSP comes in. It's not as good but helps a lot.

7. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

not entirely- they make great crossovers. but what about your application- where do you want to put it in the signal chain?

9. Vinny123

I’d really like something between my cd transport and DAC, digitally acting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.