Mini Hi-Fi Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pop_Zeus, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess this is not something that’s talked about much in here, but I desperately need a new mini hi-fi for my bedside. I have a circa £100 Sony CD one which still has a cassette deck (!). It keeps crapping out; saying ‘no disc’ when there IS a disc in, display flickering a lot, power cutting out randomly, etc. On its last legs really. Tried changing the fuse but no use.

What mini hi-fi units should I look at? Want to avoid cheapo stuff, but not sure I want to stretch to Denon D-M41 prices, would consider it though if they really are that good and likely to last a long time. All I want is for it play CDs, have a USB/aux in for iPod, sound good and sit on a bedside table even if it overhangs a little.

As it’s always the unit that craps out on these, my speakers are actually ok and I even kept the speakers from my previous one just in case, so I have the option just to buy the central unit without speakers

2. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident

Denon Mini systems sound great. We have the RCD-M35DAB in our living room. Sounds superb. For a laugh i tried the speakers with my system in the music room. They held their own. I was amazed.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  3. Subagent

Subagent Forum Resident

No recent experience here (does that ever stop anyone from responding?), but ran across the Marantz M-CR611 during a recent surf of audio sites. Looked interesting.

4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Might look for a Proton AI-3000 II. They made some compact units. Some even had decent speakers.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  5. Fishoutofwater

I know this model. Sound is a bit thin and not anywhere as good as Denon models imo. Just my view

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Denon

Pop_Zeus and Fishoutofwater like this.
  7. Fishoutofwater

Denon DM41 DAB. Has good reviews.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  8. LivingForever

LivingForever Always one more tomorrow...

I have a Denon CEOL system from a few years ago and it’s been great - CD, DAB, radio, internet streaming. Sounds nice too with my little Q Acoustics bookshelf speakers.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  9. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just ordered a Denon D-M41 DAB unit only for £179. When I previously looked they were £280 without speakers. Will see how I get on with the 2 sets of Sony speakers I already have

10. Fishoutofwater

You will love it. For that price you cant go wrong

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  11. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

astro70 likes this.
  12. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

If you're open to 2nd hand an Arcam solo mini or a Linn Classik K will give you great sound for under £200.

13. Dominic jefferson

Dominic jefferson Active Member

I have the Denon Dm41 dab paired with Dali Spektor 2s and love it.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  14. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

How do the Dalis compare with the Denon speakers?

15. Dominic jefferson

Dominic jefferson Active Member

I love the Dalis. Better build quality and finish. All round more balanced performance with a natural expressive sound and pretty solid sound stage. Denons were a little over precise and cold for me. I think the Spektor 2 is a startlingly good speaker for its price point and would hold its own against many in the next.

tanqueray cowboy likes this.
  16. mr clean

mr clean Well-Known Member

PS Audio Sprout 100. Speakers of you choice. Emotiva TA-100 is little bigger but one piece would do it all if wanting FM. How small does it have to be? I think the sprout would be better than the all in one micro systems. I just saw you wanted cd so forget all I said.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  17. mr clean

I like Klipsch speakers but a lot of people may not agree. I saw nice reviews on these but again I don't know how small you need.

Revel Concerta2 MI6

18. mr clean

Im going to have to read little closer. Hope you like what you are getting.